isa

carpet cleaning
« on: July 21, 2004, 12:19:15 am »
Hi
We are a local medium size cleaning firm, some of ours regular clients number of times where asking for carpet cleaning. Maybe someone can advise if Karcher Puzzi 100 would suit the job for small to medium size flats/ houses. We would like to answer the demands of our regular clients and do it right way as well.
Any suggestions welcome.

dunny19

Re: carpet cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 12:43:29 am »
HAVE ALOOK ON WWW. PROCHEM.CO.UK WEBSITE, IVE NOT HEARD OF THE MACHINE THAT YOU MENTION, BUT YOU WILL FIND A SUITABLE PORTABLE MACHINE HERE FOR YOUR NEEDS AS WELL AS THR TRAINING YOU AND YOUR STAFF NEED.

isa

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 01:04:01 am »
Many thanks Dunny19. Will check the web site out!
:)

Fox

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 11:18:24 pm »
Hi I visited Prochems showroom this week to look at carpet machines the steampro 2000 looked really good, the middle of the range one would be the one I'd go for with twin vac - it is quite a bit more expensive than the single but the wand it comes with is much better (swan neck).

Watch out for the price of the accessories though and the fact that you have to cart everything around with you - that's what is putting me off at the mo.  Also looked at the Polaris I like this also but only good for big open spaces and the tank isn't very big otherwise your back with the accessory problem.

Good luck with your search there are so many out there it's a difficult choice - comes down to -  are you going to use it yourself or let others use it?  If it is for others to take around to sites then defo go for something robust like the steampro.

Fox

dunny19

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 11:41:13 pm »
i agree with foxy

id go for the steampro.......i bought the fivestar.....its ok.........but wished id spent that bit more
best of luck

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 12:07:03 am »
ISA

Define small/medium size

The same type machine can be hired from dry cleaner or the sheds that speak for it’s self!

Prochem machines are good but there are others out there, it’s worth looking at the frequently asked question side of the forum, which machine is best?

Another way at looking at it why spend X which may be hardly used, when you can sub it out and make XYP on top, also the liability is down to the cc.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Fox

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 12:51:17 am »
Yep agree with Len - loads of machines out there but one thought - if you are in the commercial cleaning business you must have a rotary machine.  

You can get solution tanks for these machines and use them for the carpet cleaning - you don't need an extraction machine either if you use dry foam.  (and before I get jumped on! ::)) This method will not remove deep soiling like HWE but will freshen the carpet and help bring in regular cleans.

Fox

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 12:54:17 am »
Ploaris basic one is no more powerful than Five Star or Rug Doctor.

Get best machine twin vac 3 stage motors at least 130psi pump.

Prochem machines are usually discounted by companies such as Express Cleaning Supplies.

Ashbys are good value.

Dont forget Alltec good training structure.

If you buy cheap machine if you intend to carpet clean regularly you will need to buy again

isa

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 03:05:46 pm »
Thanks. Your help much valued.
Not as easy as I thought it would be.
I have haedache already.
I follow your advise and before buying will try to hire out one of my choice to check how does it work.
With two little kids there is always a carpet to clean in the house  :)
I will be using it myself as carpet cleaning is only extra service for our mainly domestic clients.
As for the size of the business we have around 200 regulars pains, I mean valued customers of course.
Regards
Isa

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 10:15:06 pm »
Isa

I did not think I was recommending that you hire one what I was trying to say not a pro machine the same as type you get in the sheds/dry cleaners, keep well clear.

Before you go further get trained, I don’t know were you are, Prochem, Alltec and Ashby’s do training.  One hiccup and you could lose both jobs and possibly more via recommendations.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Fox

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 10:48:15 pm »
If you purchase a Prochem machine they give you a days training free  ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 11:17:04 pm »
Fox

I think you will find that all will give free training if one buys.

Len

Fox

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 11:38:26 pm »
good to know Len - I'm useless with machines! lol   ;)

The Great One

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 11:51:15 pm »
Hi Guys

Depending on who your clients are a steameasy pro is a hell of a weight, especially if you have to get up a few flights of stairs!

Also, you have to fill it up with 25 ltrs of water which then has to be dumped down your clients bog.

Choose wisely young Skywalker hmm

Regards

Martin 8)

Len Gribble

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 01:23:04 am »
Martin

If you look at the cc side you will find that all cc keep the machine out side, thus improving air quality for the customer.

Fox

As I said you have to buy then get training ???

Len

The Great One

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 02:18:37 am »
Hi

I might be missing something here but if you do have a steameasy and your client is on the top floor, say 5 flights of steps, how would you keep it outside . I take it from your post you mean out in the street?

Truckmounts maybe, although a lot of hose would be required, if you had a portable then you would still need to fill it up i.e. at the customers tap.

Or are you suggesting to lug it up say 5 flights, then back down with heaps of hose, clean the flat in question, lug it back up to empty it and then back down so you can go to the next job and maybe do it all again.

I would have to disagree here in that not ALL CC keep their machines outside. It is not practical or feasible.

Your thoughts

Regards

Martin 8)

dunny19

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 06:32:17 pm »
i think len is full of s***

Len Gribble

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004, 12:32:47 am »
Martin

Yes flats can be a problem in taking the machine up but it can still be left on the landing I would also charge extra for assistance unless they were prepared to assist me in carrying up/down at the end of the day you quantify this to the customer not into hernias no matter what the customer wants.

Regarding tm’s I don’t remember bring this into what machine isa needs, and yes I have a tm so what it’s not always the bees knees on some jobs! Now I have upset the tm’s.  

I will also add if Isa is into domestic cleaning the cliental would more than likely have lifts if not the above would come into play. I would also advocate keep machine out doors keeping down humidity in the building.

Dunny19 not into personal attacks at least I don’t’ hide if wrong correct me and I will take another view, if you intended to be a pro act like one! Then I’m a splash and dash

Len

The Great One

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2004, 12:20:47 pm »
Hi Guys

Most of my clients are letting agents, sometimes i come across 6 flights of stairs (aarrgh!) obviously they are empty and no help is around.

May i ask what you would suggest in this situation Len?

Regards

Martin 8)

Len Gribble

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2004, 07:47:27 pm »
Martin

Please refer to my last thread 1st par I covered this, but will say it again I would charge customer for the extra helper, I know you will come back and say they wont pay it, only you can make that decision.

Len

The Great One

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2004, 09:03:00 pm »
Hi Len

With letting ageants you would just put it into your Price so maybe they would.

It certainly is a bugger when you forget something and you have to go up 6+ flights of steps ;)

Regards

Martin 8)

Len Gribble

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2004, 09:54:14 pm »
The letting agents/Prop Dev I do work for know my price as they have been done before; they also know that I will charge extra above one flight if I have to use a portable.

Yes they did grumble at first, my reply to them who is actually paying for my service, you the owner or the moving out tenant, it always turns out to be the former tenant well if they would like to meet me there and assist me in carrying equipment up/down there would be no surcharge.  I also charge some times when I use the tm.

I have a flip saying how many dose it take to Tango well you have answered my question you carry it up. This may seem harsh to some but I’m in business to make money not to spend time in hospital if one can get in.

You take care

Len

The Great One

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2004, 01:20:34 pm »
Hi

I concur.

Sometimes as you know they do question prices, it's as if it is their own cash! although they always get grief form all angles.

In fact i picked up one excellent client because the last company got too greedy and their prices could no longer be justified.

Enter me ;D

Regards

Martin 8)

Len Gribble

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2004, 12:45:58 am »
Martin

One benefit I have found the owner before going on secondment had there carpets and or upholstery cleaned by me then insist to the agent that when the tenant leaves it is only done by me, writing into contract, some have taken the cheap option and hired a machine and come unstuck, twice this year I have BR the carpets and once on a suite.

Len

Mark Betts

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2004, 01:20:14 am »
Martin

Doesnt matter what EXTRACTION machine you use you still have to fill it with water  ??? ??? ???

Mark
A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

The Great One

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2004, 01:05:48 am »
Hi Mark

Not with mine you don't, i am not HWE!

After taking my course with Prochem last year I decided against HWE, far too much messing around for me.

for the last 30+ years HWe has been the machine of choice, is that because it IS the best or the companies say it IS the best. Let us not forget how much money said companies have invested in the HWE business.

As an anology...

The MMR jab is proported to be the best way to protect your child but few people know that doctors get paid £60+ for each one they give! Can they give a professional opinion or are they financially driven?

Is it the same for HWE, are the companies being professional or is it financial, as lets face it they do have a lot of money invested to say HWE is the absolute best clean, anything else is just maintenance they claim.

Is it?

No one system is the be and end all, they all have their flaws. I for one feel that the reason is financial.

Thoughts...?

Regards

Martin 8)

House Angels

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2004, 12:37:06 am »
The largest carpet manufacturere in the world recommends HWE for cleaning carpets!

Terry
Terry

Professional service at all times

House Angels

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2004, 12:39:48 am »
Oh sorry Shaw Industries

Before anyone asks!!
Terry

The Great One

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2004, 12:40:54 am »
Hi

Great!

But I wonder if they have a vested financial interest?

Regards

Martin 8)

House Angels

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2004, 01:14:42 am »
Martin

What are you suggesting???

Do you think they would advocate something without research?

Do you think they own Prochem?

I think that you should surrender this argument gracefully

Have a nice weekend all

Tel
Terry

Musicman

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2004, 02:48:37 am »
Or perhaps House Angels has a vested interest! Check out the web-site - says it all really.

I'm with you Martin, whilst HWE is amongst our range of methods we find that the low moisture systems offer a greater range of benefits - and provide as deep, if not deeper, a clean as a HWE system.

Good luck with WB by the way.
Success is where hard work meets opportunity!

The Great One

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2004, 12:32:17 am »
Hi

thanks for that musicman, waterless brighton has got off to a slowish start but it is only the 1st week...

Houseangel...

I am not suggesting anything really just trying to get people to think a little deeper is all. How much is the HWE market worth?

How much do these companies have invested in the HWE market?

Just because a big multi-million pound company says something is so doesn't mean it is.

The health supplement industry is full of companies making fortunes the same way.

E.G. 'B6 increases testosterone' so certain companies make fortunes.

Actual documented fact...

'B6 increases testosterone... in menopausal women'.

They just missed abit out is all. I am not saying that companies who market HWE operate the same way but just to again state, just because a company says it is so doesn't make it so.

Just think a little deeper, HWE has been the mainstay for 30+ years, technology have moved on.

Regards

Martin 8)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2004, 09:54:33 am »
What is wrong with HWE.

Would you wash your cloths using a low moisture system

With Tubo Dryers etc carpets are virtually dry when cleaner leaves.

Not saying anything wrong with other system.

Regretably Martin we not sure what you are using so we cannot  compare.

Musicman

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2004, 02:54:35 pm »
Would you wash your cloths using a low moisture system

You never heard of dry cleaners?

Success is where hard work meets opportunity!

The Great One

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2004, 08:36:11 pm »
Hi

Ian, I didn't say anything was wrong with HWE, just saying that it is peoples 1st choice.

This may be that it is because it is the best thing since sliced bread

or...

Is it because people just believe it is the best?

All I am saying is for people to look a little deeper and not to just spend £000's just because the course they went on advocate HWE because it is the mainstay of their business.

Do you see what I am getting at?

We all know that no one system is the absolute be and end all, they all have their flaws (even my system).

This is the same reasoning for anything in life. A multi-national will say that product X is the best but of course they have a vested interest.

E.G.
A well known soap powder maker has a new version of their product, even better than their other one. Are they saying the other one is rubbish? and if so why did they try and sell it for years?

Or is it that they have a better technology now than the other product they have been selling for 30+ years?

Hmmm...

Regards

Martin 8)

shaun_pearson

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2004, 12:15:01 am »
cmon then martin, tell us as about your system so we can talk about it. you are talking like weve all missed some breakthrough in the industry and you are right in there, one step ahead of all of us hwe users. whats the big secret? why wont you share it? if you are worried that we will all rush out and jump on the bandwagon, rest assured that wont happen.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2004, 10:44:49 pm »
Martin,

What I will agree with you about is when soneone is thinking of joining The Carpet Cleaning industry a lot of Phschological preasure is  applied to convince them HWE is best.

When perhaps just dipping toe in the water there might be less costly systems avaiable.

However I firmly believe HWE is the best way to clean carpets

It just makes logical sense to me.

However if it was not for drying times I might have cosidered the hands and knees method used by Safeclean ( And I want to keep my knne caps) many years ago when I atarted.  On bad bits I use it.

Mark Betts

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2004, 11:25:47 pm »
Hi Martin

I wasnt inferring you used HWE was just saying that all HWE machines need filling with water.

On another note, whose pads are you using for your machine ?  I am assuming you must be using an OP machine and not an inferior bonnet system  ;)

Are you getting them from Steve Hayward?

And how long are they lasting.

Thanks

Mark
A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

Len Gribble

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2004, 01:07:09 am »
Andy

Just catching up with threads as been in the states last week Hicksville actually Crossville TN, but learnt a lot from cc their, yes the LM systems have benefits but to say they provide as deep if not deeper clean as hwe that I question, went to LM road show a few month ago the owner/md said I know what system I would use on a pub and it was not his!

I know the system you use and the only thing I personally could not get used too was going to the right and yes the carpet was cleaned, if Martin uses this hope he doesn’t use this system in a car not a lot of room.

Too cap it all LM systems are for floor work only were as HWE is diverse unless do it by hand????

Martin as you say, 1st week they will be converted new enterprise customers think! I wish you all the best.

Len

Forum Admin

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2004, 03:02:28 am »
'Dunny'

For now we'll assume that you posted your reference to Len by accident! Please remove it - it doesn't reflect well on the forum or yourself.

We'll also assume you've apologised to Len with a Personal Message!

Mike Boxall

Len Gribble

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2004, 12:19:15 am »
Mike

Though I have not seen the thread, but I can imagine the contents, something like full of Dunny very constructive response from a misnomer that hides its real name.

True to its character receiving a pm, would be like winning the lottery no chance!

Dunny I take it that I have offended you personally in some way in this post by offering alternative pro machines to ISA.

As I have said not into personal attacks like you previously did, you still have not quantified your statement about me. There is criticism and there is constructive criticism, some don’t know the difference!

I take it that your thread contained some bad language, please repost with out them or stars, if you can!

Mike if he/she responds please let it ride for a few days so I can catch up.

Len

Dynafoam

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2004, 11:46:52 pm »
Martin,

I would apply a surcharge for the additional stair-climbing.

Then walk upstairs with my hose-anchor, a length of cord and a hose-pipe and two long extension leads. Cord attached to anchor the dropped out of a window or over the balcony, likewise the hosepipe and extension leads.

On next trip down solution and vac hoses attached to the cord and machine plugged in and switched on. End of hose-pipe inserted into tank.

Back up to flat with wand and dry vacuum. when upstairs, hose is turned on to fill tank and solution & vac hosed hauled up and secured. When tank filled to a suitable level, tap turned off.

When preparation of carpet is complete the  power is switched on - machine is now operational.

I've left out a few fiddly bits but you get the picture.

John.

PS. Dunny, that comment was both inaccurate and totally un-deserved - it does you no credit.

Len Gribble

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2004, 01:50:29 am »
John

Noted your PS as I have not seen Dunny’s comments regarding me and are unable to defend myself be its statement be true or not? I think I’m magnanimous in defeat. But I don’t think I have been beaten in the logistics game you want me to climb Mount Everest you pay, as for the deepest one off clean I have yet to be convinced away from HWE, commercial is a defiant matter but that not what this thread about.

I have read its threads 1st points to a large manufacture 2nd wishes he spent more 3rd then became abusive 4th sadly now as deleted. I wonder what system dose it uses?

By the way I don’t expect any constructive reply from dunny only pops.

Len