Tony Hall

Pricing up a Gutter cleaning job
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:59:32 am »
Hi Guys,

I need some advice on pricing a job that I had emailed this morning, the only thing I've been told is that it's a 3 bedroom detached house and have no other details. I'll be using a Sky Vac and generator, does anyone have any ideas as they never rang or left a number just a email through my website. I live in the Wiltshire area.

Any idea's all ?

Thanks.

Smudger

Re: Pricing up a Gutter cleaning job
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:22:22 pm »
Get the address then Google map it - then you'll have an idea for what guttering it's got, and if it has a conny, then price top end of your scale expecting them to be seriously bad

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Tony Hall

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »
Thanks Darren for your help.

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:02:49 pm »
Always best to go and see what it’s like and make sure you do a guttercam survey so you can see what you are letting yourself in for before giving any price. 

Trust me it’s very easy to cock the pricing up especially if you quote over the phone using google maps as they are well out of date. One house I remember ended up being twice the size as the images on google as had been extensively extended since then. Others had gutter guards fitted and some I had to do all by hand as the gap was so narrow to get all the sods out…Oops! ;D

As they say no two jobs are the same but the ones that look easy are generally a PITA to do

davep

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »
Emails with little information are generally a waste of time. Ask for more details and a phone number in order to quote.

Rob@Blast off

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 05:57:32 pm »
Personally i never go out to price a domestic gutter job, i just ask the questions on the phone and to be honest with a vac it doesn't take long to do so if i have slightly underpriced it, its not the end of the world as i will make it up on the next job

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 06:16:08 pm »
Personally i never go out to price a domestic gutter job, i just ask the questions on the phone and to be honest with a vac it doesn't take long to do so if i have slightly underpriced it, its not the end of the world as i will make it up on the next job

Yes you can do that to get a rough idea on price but still some tell porkies especially on the awkward ones.
So rather than giving a fixed priced quote on the phone it’s best to give them an estimate instead so you don't end up being out of pocket especially if you've got to use ladders as well.

Most that insist on a price over the phone are just phoning around and after the cheapest price and generally timewasters.
Others and we all get them from time to time could just turn out to be competitors in your area fishing to find out what you charge.

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 06:28:46 pm »
You have to way it up really,  yes there may be the odd one that's problematic but time saved quoting over the phone or emailing is well worth quoting this way.

As mentioned, no proper contact details indicates a time waster, just ping it a price and see..

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 06:50:00 pm »
You have to way it up really,  yes there may be the odd one that's problematic but time saved quoting over the phone or emailing is well worth quoting this way.

As mentioned, no proper contact details indicates a time waster, just ping it a price and see..

Darran

There are major sales benefits to what I've already mentioned as if you go and take a looksee beforehand more often than not you can up sell other services to that customer. Not only that it's easy to gain extra work on other properties with shared gutter runs and/or properties next door if you or the customer can show them they need theirs doing too. Everyone loves a bit of block booking discount don't you know  ;D

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 06:54:19 pm »
But I have Mrs smudger, she gets all that done before we even turn up   ;D ;D

Darran

Rob@Blast off

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 06:57:35 pm »
That is a drawback but i could spend all day driving round looking at jobs so i just qoute over the phone then try and upsell when on site.

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 06:59:58 pm »
But I have Mrs smudger, she gets all that done before we even turn up   ;D ;D

Darran

;D

Smurf

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 07:02:13 pm »
That is a drawback but i could spend all day driving round looking at jobs so i just qoute over the phone then try and upsell when on site.

That's no good if say you want paying in cash  ;D

Rob@Blast off

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 07:07:59 pm »
Cash?
I should be so lucky, its all bloody bacs and cheque  :(
Going to get a card machine soon mainly for the drains

Smurf

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 07:11:11 pm »
Cash?
I should be so lucky, its all bloody bacs and cheque  :(
Going to get a card machine soon mainly for the drains

I've found it far easier to upsell and/or make block bookings in advance face to face as that way the works can be scheduled into the diary properly too.

Smurf

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 11:12:29 am »
Regarding pricing/sales conversions and as far as wasting time in visiting prospects from my own experience giving quotes to new prospects on the phone even asking the right questions has a lower sales conversion rate if you want to charge well than actually going to see the jobs in hand.

Anyone that wants to increase sales and win higher priced work, block bookings and/or add-ons etc I would highly recommend they arrange to do a proper site survey and meet the decision maker/s face to face as is defiantly a no brainer if you ask me.

Trust me I use to charge quite low and soon learnt that most are were willing to pay more for an added value service no matter what they are.  After all you are selling yourself foremost and you can’t really do that on the phone.

Tony Hall

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 07:40:24 pm »
Thanks Guys for all your help and advice, I've taken it on board :)

Sent her an email this morning and I've heard nothing back so I'll use this as a learning curve, next time I know what to do. I'm so glad that I joined this forum, I'm looking forward to learning loads of you guys ;)

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 08:11:45 pm »
A wise chap said to me the day you stop learning is the day you die or was that the one with Alzheimer's... oh bugger I forget now.  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 08:14:37 pm »

Sent her an email this morning and I've heard nothing back so I'll use this as a learning curve, next time I know what to do. I'm so glad that I joined this forum, I'm looking forward to learning loads of you guys ;)

You have her phone number so best give her a call as well.

Tony Hall

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 11:17:53 am »

You have her phone number so best give her a call as well.

Hey Smurf,
She never gave me her telephone number it was just contact through an email she sent me, I've not heard anything yet and I don't expect to.....But on to the next one. :)

Smurf

Re: Pricing up a Gutter cleaning job New
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 11:45:54 am »
Oh well like you say onto the next one  ;)

It may help if you create a contact form like Request & Quote, Callback Request or whatever you want to call it on your website with required fields  that they have to enter their full contact details etc before they can submit the form. That way helps to weed out time wasters and you have enough info as possible to go on instead of wasting a lot of your time.

Here is a very basic example what I'm on about just randomly found on the internet with required fields http://guttercleanerlondon.co.uk/contact-us/

If anyone tries to submit the form without filling in any of the fields they will see
Error!
 •Name is required
•Address is required
•Phone Number is required
•Email requires a valid email address
•Message is required

That site by the way is made using wordpress.
That firm is a wee bit bigger than people think they are too so there must be money to be made clearing gutters.  ::)roll

Hope this helps?