Taylor & Taylor WC Services

What price Per SqM for sealing blockpaving?
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »
I just cleaned a blockpaved driveway and re-sanding it tomorrow, but since cleaning the customer has asked for a price for sealing it.....

Shouldn't it be sealed the same day it's sanded? And should weed killer be applied?

I haven't measured the area as I quoted the cleaning based on how long I thought It'd take me but for sealants I obviously need to measure to get the right amount but need a guide for a price per sq m?

Matt Gibson

Re: What price Per SqM for sealing blockpaving?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:44:22 pm »
I dont usually charge per m2 for sealing. It doesnt take very long when using a sprayer. Just work out the price of product youll use, and add on for your time.

Am sure others will do it another way.

Though in saying that, i just sealed 50m2 and charged £60. So maybe closer to £1 per m2.

Taylor & Taylor WC Services

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:46:35 pm »
Is it really as easy as just spraying it on?

What product do you use and what m2 does a litre cover? Do you apply 1 or 2 coats

Matt Gibson

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:00:02 pm »
I use a penetrating sealer, so its easily applied and doesnt form a film on the surface. I have tried a few suppliers, on the smaller jobs i use wickes sealer, does a good job and is cheap.

Do you do alot of sealing? is it worth you buying 20l drums from a supplier? It can get expensive and having it sit there in the garage cause you dont use it much is pointless (as i found out)

Just google penetrating sealer, there are a few suppliers out there. Im sure someone will be along soon that will be able to recommend a good product. Try and go for a solvent based sealer, i found it works alot better than water based stuff. Solvent based is harder to work with though.

Matt

Blast Away

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:45:20 pm »
I dont usually charge per m2 for sealing. It doesnt take very long when using a sprayer. Just work out the price of product youll use, and add on for your time.

Am sure others will do it another way.

Though in saying that, i just sealed 50m2 and charged £60. So maybe closer to £1 per m2.

How are you making any money there Matt?

50m2 clean sand and seal should be at least 300 quid.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:51:53 pm »
Lee,

That £60 was just to seal it. It was paving slab pathways x2. Charged 150 to clean it and no sanding required ;D

Roger Oakley

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 08:16:18 am »
Taylor & Taylor,
Still to early IMO to be sealing, too damp and temps to cold in some parts of the country.

You get what you pay for with sealers so the big shed own brands are usually s*it again in IMO. Thompson's and Ronseal are about as good as the big shed brands so s*it.

The only person who has got close to a price is Blastaway, don't sell this service to cheap.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 08:54:42 am »
Roger,

What sealer do you use? I tried some from sealers direct, but it was rubbish. Was looking at pave-gard but just not sure now, dont wanna buy anymore without a recommendation tbh.

Any info would be great.

Matt

Roger Oakley

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 12:58:55 pm »
Matt

On block paving I use Resiblock

Blast Away

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 05:44:12 pm »
And 300 would be too cheap if using Resiblock.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:11 am »
And 300 would be too cheap if using Resiblock.

£300 would be to cheap, but you were closer then the £60 sealing price  :o

Matt Gibson

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 11:24:26 am »
lucky i didnt use resiblock then  ;)

Ged

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 01:59:49 pm »
picseal is a good alround acrylic sealer and PICS are very good company to deal with. can be sprayed on in two coats, charge approx £6 per square metre for cleaning sanding and seal. Resiblock is top of the range Polyurethane sealer, very  hard wearing and expensive and you need to be aware of the application guidlines so if you go for it call them and ask advice or do their one day training course which is excellent. they are based in Basildon. i would reckon you need to charge around £8 per square metre if using this. these sealers are for block paving only.

good luck

ged

APWS

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 03:16:24 pm »
resiblock is to expensive & to hard to work with, stick to acrylic's or better still talk the customer out of sealing it and tell them it will be cheaper to clean & re-sand it once a year.
jim.
!! if it can get dirty it can get clean !!

drive surgeon

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 04:08:59 pm »
Lee,

That £60 was just to seal it. It was paving slab pathways x2. Charged 150 to clean it and no sanding required ;D

so you did not sand it after cleaning?

the idea of sealing is to bond the sand to the pavers to prevent weeds growing and to stablise the blocks.?

outdoor restore

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 05:09:38 pm »
Lee,

so you did not sand it after cleaning?

the idea of sealing is to bond the sand to the pavers to prevent weeds growing and to stablise the blocks.?

DS
I think if you read his post it was "paving slab pathways" not block paving!

Matt Gibson

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 07:58:30 am »

DS
I think if you read his post it was "paving slab pathways" not block paving!

Correct. The customer got the joints re-cemented by her builder.

drive surgeon

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 05:08:07 pm »
sorry yeah. cool!  :)