MrsMeredith

New Small Business
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:25:22 am »
Hello,

I am just starting up my own small domestic cleaning business, website went live 2 days ago and i am in the midst of advertising and getting some fliers printed.

I wander if anyone has any ideas or advice to help my new venture? I have read many posts here and profiles and am very impressed with what you have all achieved etc. I am also on the look out for downloadable documents i can use within my business for the following:

A checklist of jobs to be done in each household setting/room
An online enquiry form to go on my website for potential clients to fill in

Any ideas/help would be much appreciated!

Mrs Meredith!

Abi

Re: New Small Business
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 03:27:35 pm »
I haven't done my website as yet but you could get examples from other sites.

Good luck in your new venture!

Abi

MrsMeredith

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 04:05:21 pm »
Thanks for your very kind reply Abi and your good luck wishes, x. I wish you all the same back as i see you too are a newbie here and in the cleaning scene.

Mrs Meredith.

tomh

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 11:46:21 pm »
hi tracey
as i have found in business genral public don't like mobile numbers so will not contact you through them unless your familure with them as your line is repeat business i would add land line asap & divert to mobile 10p a min but worth it to start & never miss a call

tomh

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 12:04:32 am »
there are many advertistment agent's about stick local with yell papers church mags ect you will have no end of calls from charitys callenders ect that never  work so put phone down quick as feel its wrong few months down the line know what i mean & best of luck

MrsMeredith

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 04:22:43 pm »
Thanks for your advice Tom!

Tracey.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 09:42:00 pm »
hi tracey
as i have found in business genral public don't like mobile numbers so will not contact you through them unless your familure with them as your line is repeat business i would add land line asap & divert to mobile 10p a min but worth it to start & never miss a call

I fully agree with you, but I found it better to use an answer machine instead of diverting call to my mobile, because I often drive and would not answer phone calls anyway.  However land number is essential.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 10:06:16 pm »
...A checklist of jobs to be done in each household setting/room…

Tracey,

You can easy create your own list of tasks, please use this list of tasks to start from:

Clean Door
Wash Windows
Wipe Window Ledges
Clean Skirting Boards
Wipe Radiators
Vacuum Carpets
Wash Floor
Clean Pictures
Clean Mirrors
Clean Fireplace
Dust Chairs
Vacuum three Piece suit
Polish Brass/Sliver
Vacuum Carpets
Empty Rubbish
Polish Handrails
Wipe Radiators
Clean Tables
Dust Surfaces
Clean Cabinet
Empty Rubbish
Clean Hob
Clean Oven
Clean Cupboards
Clean Microwave
Clean Fridge
Wipe Washing Machine
Wipe Tumble Dryer
Wipe Bin
Clean Sink
Empty Rubbish bin

....An online enquiry form to go on my website for potential clients to fill in...

I do not use an enquiry form, people simply ask me anything they like in their e-mails.

I would suggest having your ads displayed on shop windows where you target your customers and parish magazines.  Your website should be a good way of advertising and source of info about your company if you have it listed in yell.com.

Best wishes,
Arthur

*Chris Browne

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 06:19:48 pm »
Hi mrs meredith,

just looking at your site and your prices, are they hourly rates per person? do you really clean a 4/5 bedroom house for 33 quid? or have i got it wrong.

chris

www.scsf.co.uk

MrsMeredith

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 08:49:40 pm »
Hi there Chris,

You are not the 1st to contact me and remark on my hourly rates and the rate for 4/5 bedroom house. They are indeed hourly rates per person as it is just myself at the minute running the business and cleaning until i have enough work to keep just me ticking over !  then its time to get other staff involved.

After a lot of research and contemplation maybe i should alter my rates per hr etc ?? I don't know, being as its a new business only launched last week i want to attract potential customers and not put them off by being over priced, does that make sense??

I would be most grateful if anyone has a "happy medium" they can suggest on what is the normal hourly rate and price per size of house/bedrooms etc.

Thanks for your time reading this.

Tracey.

*Chris Browne

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 07:31:13 am »
Hi mrs meredith,
if you ask about in the main cleaning forum, i am sure people will be more than happy to help out.

chris

www.scsf.co.uk

MrsMeredith

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 08:38:18 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for that, i have now posted in the main cleaning forum  ;D

Tracey.

busydaffodil

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 04:45:51 pm »
One of the biggest culprits for giving your number out to sales companies is your telephone provider.    If you have a business line installed, you will be bombarded with calls for a few months.   
As regards price, start as you mean to go on.  I wouldnt cut the prices to attract new business.    You'll end up picking up the scrappy jobs that the others do not want, and feel resentful that your working cheaply.    Stick to your guns.  Theres a huge shortage of domestic cleaners.....you charge what you think your worth, within reason! 

Gail

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 08:53:47 am »
Hi Mrs. Meredith!

I agree on sticking to your price.  You have to remember you cannot satisfy all prospects.  Therefore, define who your customers are and where to find them.  Are they in the best neighborhoods or in areas that can't afford to pay top price?

Go where your market is.  You may have to get through the crummy jobs to really know who your customers are....you may have to work up to them. 

Using this approach, when you don't get a job, you'll understand why and not try to make the wrong customers happy; trust me on the - they will never be happy.

Call your competition, act like a prospect and get a quote for their service.  Ask what area they work and that will tell you who their customers are.

Hope this helps!   :)

ruby

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 08:29:15 pm »
Hi there Chris,

You are not the 1st to contact me and remark on my hourly rates and the rate for 4/5 bedroom house. They are indeed hourly rates per person as it is just myself at the minute running the business and cleaning until i have enough work to keep just me ticking over !  then its time to get other staff involved.

After a lot of research and contemplation maybe i should alter my rates per hr etc ?? I don't know, being as its a new business only launched last week i want to attract potential customers and not put them off by being over priced, does that make sense??

I would be most grateful if anyone has a "happy medium" they can suggest on what is the normal hourly rate and price per size of house/bedrooms etc.

Thanks for your time reading this.

Tracey.
Hello Tracey
Ihave small cleaning business s good luck with yours, you need to put up your price my sweet, have you thought of emailing removal companies that's what i did give it a try
Ruby

squeak

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 12:40:12 pm »
Help, a friend and I are just about to start our own contract cleaning business, we have been around letting agents, we also want to do new builds as well, can anybody please give us any adivse on what else we could do, and what we should charge to clean empty lets, ( say a 2 bed house )

Squeak
thanks Sue