drive surgeon

whirlaway shooting water from hole underneath?
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:59:45 pm »
water is shooting out from hole and pressure dropped leaving tiger stripes on flags, was told that seal has gone, anyone else had this problem?  its a nightmare. :'( :'(

trevor perry

Re: whirlaway shooting water from hole underneath?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:52:40 pm »
yes the first time it happened to me i was told it was the bearings but it isnt it is only the o ring seal, because i use hot water i get them go a couple of times a year so always carry a couple as spares, they only cost a few pence and can be changed in about ten minutes.

better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

drive surgeon

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:26:44 pm »
 :o :o  i just paid 30 quid for a fixing kit from dual pumps?? they said i need this to fix it. it has seals in or something?  the whole unit with bearings inside is over a 100 quid :o :-X

drivewasher

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:02:17 pm »
Yes its called an "inlet tap" Failure is caused by lack of greasing. As I said before I grease mine every job. The viton "o" ring on the part vibrates whilst in use this constant vibrating (it's kept in contact with the end of the shaft by a litte hard spring) wears it away and it lets water past eventually. Worsdt case sinario is this kit won't be enough as sometimes the polished mating faces of the "inlet tap" and the end of the shaft crack or break and you will neeed a new shaft.
Contary to belief the "grease daily" isn't for the bearings as water doesn't go through the bearings, but grease can get pushed through them in the greasing operation, which does em no harm
I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

trevor perry

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:25:31 pm »
:o :o  i just paid 30 quid for a fixing kit from dual pumps?? they said i need this to fix it. it has seals in or something?  the whole unit with bearings inside is over a 100 quid :o :-X
when you get the kit try just changing the viton o ring i think you will find that is all that has worn keep the rest of kit for if needed in future and then order a few viton o rings as said they are only a few pence each.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

drive surgeon

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:06:02 pm »
drivewasher i did start to grease my whirlaway after every use and it was ok but now striping and loss of pressure.  :'(

drivewasher

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:50:32 pm »
Yeh! your loosing pressure cos water is coming out from the bearing head instead of it all being forced through the nozzles

drive surgeon

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:14:20 am »
cheers drivewasher, i hope to get parts today  :)  will keep you posted.  its anightmare when you,lose pressure. :'(

drivewasher

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:10:59 pm »
Where abouts are you drive surgeon, If you need help iv'e got a good workshopand all the gear

drive surgeon

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »
merseyside mate ;)

drivewasher

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:14:00 pm »
Oh I'm just up the Lancs in Golborne

drive surgeon

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 07:39:09 pm »
i have taken the spray bar off underneath and prised the cir clip off also, but what do i do next?

drivewasher

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:08:44 am »
Take the hose swivel off the bearing head (19mm spanner) remove the barrel nipple from brg head (17mm spanner) loosen the 7mm allen bolt in side of the blue clamp ring around the brg head, lever the gap in the split ring open a little then pull the whole brg head out of the clamp ring.

Now hold the brg head in one hand asuming you did get the internal cirlip out the bottom, and tap the aluminium housing witha plastic or hide mallet upwards onto the bottom outer face (the end the circlip was at) while pointing the bottom down to floor. So its mallet strike UP onto lower face edge and the shaft pointing to floor. As you tap gravity should help the shaft and bearings drop out bit by bit.

As shaft etc comes out be carefull not to loose the inlet tap and very importantly the tiny spring behind it. If the tap or the spring or both dont come out you will need to push or gently tap a small twist drill shank or similar about 5/16 or 1/4 inch in through the threaded hole the barrell nipple came out of on the top, this should push the spring and the inlet tap assy (looks like a litte spinning top with a slot ground into it) out of the aluminium housing.

Clean up all bits and check the polished face seal on the end of the main shaft that buts up to a similar polished face on the inlet tap. If any of the faces are cracked then you will have to replace that part, as you have a new inlet tap check the shaft face.

Reassembly, check viton seal is in place on inlet shaft, grease it slightly to aid assembly, grease the spring and carefully place in the hole or on the inlet tap stem and drop the inlet tap into the upturned housing making shure the slot in the rim of the inlet tap locates over the roll pin in the bearing head, (this stops the inlet tap spinning with the shaft)

Fit the shaft back into the housing try pressing with a g clamp carefully rather than tapping as tapping can dislodge the inlet tap and spring. Refit cirlip and grease with grease gun. Refit head to machine barrell nipple into head with ptfe tape finally the swivwl on hose end to the barrell nipple.

Fit arm make shure no swarf or dirt is in there with the right nozzles and test with machine upside down. (make shure its safe to do this. exept if you can get Mrs to walk past makes a great b'day lol.... )

Initially it can be troublesome to get the polished faces to seal causing water to come from the hole, if so keep clacking trigger on and off to "shock" the inlet tap square.

If all else fails jump in van  get down here, I,ve got a really good kettle

drive surgeon

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 05:26:00 pm »
is goldboune warrington?  i might come down next week if i cant do it mate, thanks.

drivewasher

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 09:51:31 pm »
Yes but its just behind Haydock Park, Next exit of East Lancs after M6
I can see haydock park from our front room, just

drive surgeon

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 12:20:56 pm »
drivewasher when are you at home?

drive surgeon

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 03:30:17 pm »
thanks steve (drivewasher), think its ok now but may need to get 020 tips in the spraybar. will try come to yours this week for that pressure gage fitting.

drivewasher

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 10:33:49 pm »
Magic!