C.C.S.

Re: wfp video
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 12:03:54 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lswuNinQ4og
that's a different one done a few months ago.

wfp master

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 12:13:34 am »
not being funny i found the way you cleaned them windows shocking

jerry
well help him out instead of slating him.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 12:15:57 am »
Your mixing frames and glass.

First do all of the frame work, then do the glass. What you are doing is half of the frame and half of the glass at the same time, then dragging the brush over the window. That's a bad idea generally. Do frames first, make sure they stop dripping, then methodically go over the window in overlapping strokes. Twice horizontally over the top of the glass, then in downward strokes cover everything on the glass, then another pass horizontally over the top of the glass, then do the glass again, then rinse top of glass, then going zig zag down the glass. You can do it different ways, and even forgetting about doing the frames, but that's a more advanced technique. The above should be fool proof, if you master that, you can mix different cleaning styles depending on the need on each individual window.

Also, practise on your pole control, what shows from that video is poor pole control, the brush doesn't go exactly where it should be going, in fact it's all over the place, you need to use the pole, if you have got a bendy pole, know exactly how to use the bend in the pole. Precision is paramount.

That's just a real quick observation, its difficult through typing to convey the right technique though, sorry mate.

Here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJMdSciKf9M&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk%2Facatalog%2FVideo_Section.html&feature=player_embedded

That should get you up to speed, you will learn different ways in time, but that's the general idea. It's a good starting point for starting wfp'ers that video from Alex.

Also, keep an eye on the drips from any cross bars. Control the drips, and you will control the clean.

NWH

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 12:23:09 am »
Alex cleaned all those windows in under 2 minutes and it should take no  longer doing tops either,cleaning WFP this way or similar is why some of us say it`s so quick.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 12:33:23 am »
Alex cleaned all those windows in under 2 minutes and it should take no  longer doing tops either,cleaning WFP this way or similar is why some of us say it`s so quick.

Indeed, but I would have to say that speed always comes later, just like with traditional tools. I'd rather have a douzen beginner wfpers spend twice and long on a window, and do a good job, then 1 wfper that thinks he can be just as quick the moment he holds a pole, and hence gives wfp a bad name.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 05:10:14 pm »
Heres a video of my technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ANaArF6jQ0
How does it look guys.
I have only been cleaning with WFP for a few months.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

steven ainger

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 05:33:52 pm »
your technique looks fine to me for a first clean, but miles too slow for a regular clean

gary999

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 05:34:42 pm »
Heres a video of my technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ANaArF6jQ0
How does it look guys.
I have only been cleaning with WFP for a few months.

personally i would treat that window as three individual frames of glass
scrubbing each frame starting from top no problem as no vents above
then quickly rinse each frame then scrub glass afterwards across and back
top of glass once, then up and down moving across glass then rinse following water down,obviously if got bird crap on or filthy as first clean more scrubbing
and rinsing may be needed.then quickly across sill couple of times

Matt

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 08:19:44 pm »
I usually just give the frames a quick brush, then just brush the window up and down once on the windows then rinse.

Matt

windowswashed

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 08:53:12 pm »
Customers won't appreciate hearing your brush knocking repeatedly against their window surrounds if they are in, you'll frighten them half to death, especially the older customers (lol).

Instead of scrubbing in a sideways motion, use an up & down motion to scrub because your glass fibre pole which is whippy will be more controlable for starters and won't be bashing hell out of the window surrounds.

I concentrate on scrubbing top frame first, then the side frames, then glass, then rinse just the glass with the brush left on the glass, followed by a quick wipe over the sill. Don't do anymore work than that just mentioned above as tme is money and I've found my technique.

The trouble with rinsing with the brush off the glass is that it is a strain to keep the brush away from the glass which will lead to injuries through Repetitive Strain Injury later in life and the water is not as controllable as leaving the brush on the glass in the first place to rinse, especially on windy or gusty days, leaving you open to complaints from dirty windows if the water hits above the windows on the wall above.

poleman

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 08:54:30 pm »
Your rinced the frames then cleaned the glass!! total waste of time!!

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 09:00:40 pm »
I rinse with the brush off the glass, as there could be contamenents on the brush, like cobwebs etc.

windowswashed

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 09:06:46 pm »
I rinse with the brush off the glass, as there could be contamenents on the brush, like cobwebs etc.

If you use a flocked brush (better for scrubbing), it retains some dirt at the tip of the bristles. If you use a mono filament brush the dirt falls off the bristles so it won't be left on the glass if rinsing brush on.

Find a decent brush for your wfp and you'll be fine rinsing brush on. It will save you RSI later in life. It's easy to rinse brush off on low work but not so easy on high level work.

I've rinsed brush on for 6 years and can't understand why wc's insist on rinsing brush off (total waste of time and harder work).

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 09:13:32 pm »
windows washed what do you have your flow controller set on, I have mine set at just over 1ltr per minute.

windowswashed

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 09:21:52 pm »
I use brushes with 4 jets and use about 2 litres a minute. Flow contol position doesn't really matter so long as you have enough water to clean the windows and aren't wasting it because you can't keep up with the technique you use to clean the windows. The more water you use , the quicker you have to work. You reach a point where you can't work any faster doing the job properly so you've found your ideal amount of water to use on jobs.

NWH

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 09:22:24 pm »
1ltr a minute is not enough by a long way that`s dribbling out,try 2ltrs a minute and then see that`s what i use and i know this because i have a flow meter that tells me how much i`m using.

concept

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 09:28:02 pm »
rinsing with the brush off the glass will cause more splashing.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 09:29:25 pm »
Thanks guys I will try 2ltr per minute tomorrow.
Hope it works ok.

gary999

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 09:45:46 pm »
i always rinse just off glass cant get used to rinsing on
all these complaints about rinsing off and rsi injuries make me laugh
if we were all using universal poles at 40ft that weighed a ton i could
understand injury but the bits of string most people use as poles
cant see it myself. :)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 10:19:55 pm »

Cobwebs don't really seem to matter since they aren't water soluble hence won't leave spots behind.

i always rinse just off glass cant get used to rinsing on
all these complaints about rinsing off and rsi injuries make me laugh
if we were all using universal poles at 40ft that weighed a ton i could
understand injury but the bits of string most people use as poles
cant see it myself. :)

Just like ladder users wear out their knees, wfp users will suffer, even more so. It's not so much RSI I'm worried about, but artritis. Why make work harder on yourself? If you can't get used to rinsing on with the brush, try using a superlite mono brush. I rarely get any problems, brilliant brush. Go to any manual handling course, and they will tell you it's not the weight, the wear on your joints adds up over time.

ps. 1lpm is way to low, try to aim between 1.7 and 2lpm. I find 2lpm+ a bit excessive on maintenance cleans though. But if you want to work very fast, you need high flow rate.