Sub-contracting
« on: March 04, 2005, 05:47:29 pm »
Does anyone know what the law is on hireing sub-contractors (self employed but working for you)

I was told by someone, that as long as they had their own contracts they could work for you as subs.

This was to save employing and ensure they were really self employed.

Any comments?

telboy

Re: Sub-contracting
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 06:40:02 pm »
MAKE SURE THEY ARE FULLY INSURED TO DO THE JOB
WITH THERE OWN INSURANCE

TELBOY ;)

ANGEL C/S

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 09:10:45 pm »
I heard somewere once that if you use someone that is self employed only two thirds of thier income can come from one source
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:19:35 pm »
I do a little sub-contract work for a company based in South Wales.

How it works with me is:

I clean the premises required, and get someone from the company/shop to sign a certificate (provided from the contractor) saying the windows are spic and span.

Then once a month (or two), I send off the forms and receive a cheque.

Before I started, I was required to send a copy of my public liability insurance to the contracter.

Make sure everything's clear before you start, as regards frequency and payment.

Also ensure you pay your sub-contractor promptly and keep him sweet, especially if he does a good job.  It would be easy for him to drop you in favour of more profitable, quicker paying work.

Modified later:

Sorry, I've just re-read your thread and I think my above comments are irrelivant.  Do you mean you want to employ someone on a 'self employed' basis?

I pass on that one.  I employ 'Wor Lass' on a 'slave's terms and conditions'.  She works and gets fed (joking).  She earns enough for us to use her tax entitlement!

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 09:47:40 am »
Lets say half of their income comes from one source the rest is their own contracts, lets say they produce a valid public liability. do a first class job and are payed promptly, does this get around the employing law?

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 10:48:24 am »
I haven't used self employed guys to work for me for some time now, but when I did I paid them 50% of whatever they turned over, they had their own insurance and so on, they took their money direct from the customer, this way I didn't have to put anything other than the 50% they gave me through my books.
That last bit was quite legit.
Though as I understand it, the fact they were only working for me, even at the time when I was employing them as full time sub contract labour, they should have been on the books :-\
Its one of the reasons I don't employ others anymore :-[

That may change because of changing over to WFP, the potential earning power is far greater because of it, but even then, it'll be family based with one of my kids joining the 'Firm' 8)

Using a sub contractor, in the way thatWindows_chepstow is used by a national firm is ok. If you are looked into at some point and are found to have what is essentially an employee who is self employed, well, you would be on thin ice :o

It tends to keep window cleaning down to either one man bands or 2 man partnerships.
Yes guys, I know there are plenty out there who have several cleaners working for them, but most I believe fall into the catergory I've just mentioned ;)

Ian

Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES