The Great One

Everybody please read, input required!
« on: March 02, 2005, 07:23:48 pm »
Dear everybody

Here on the site recently the topic was bought up about having a national presence, a lot of discussion was given on the pro's and cons of the system.

To get straight to the point, I am designing a web site at the moment and I would like to add a page where carpet cleaners, window cleaners and cleaning services can advertise their services. there will obviously be a charge for this.

I have settled on a cost of £15.00 per month, payable by direct debit, this equates to around 50p per day.

If there is an uptake by you guys then we can begin to advertise the site on a national basis.

Advertising is a big subject on this site and what kind of advertising can you get for 50p a day on your own, but if enough people take the offer then we can use the accumalated funds to advertise nationally. people would be able to go to the site and find someone local to them, or phone the 0870 number.

Initially this would be done via the web on Google, Yahoo and Yell. As more people join we can then go to national press, radio and TV. we can also have a dedicated 0870 so someone is 'always in the office'

I know some of you guys are spending £5000.00 + and are not getting much response. This kind of advertising would be £180.00 per person, per year.

The site will be an ongoing, growing concern so those of you who wish to 'go for it' will have a say in how it grows and what you would like to see on the site, leaflets, ads, etc, etc.

Guys I would like all your thoughts on this, if you are/are not interested.

Regards

Martin 8)

replacement

Re: Everybody please read, input required!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 07:44:19 pm »
There are loads of site out there that do this already, and i find you never really get the cost back on what its cost you in the first place to place a advert on these kind of sites, thats why i stay well clean of them. There is atleast 5 local ones for Essex already for this service.

I cant see what differnerce this one would be from the next, if truth be told. These sites are pretty easy to setup and the costs are really really low. Now why dont you instead of offering the service for £18 per month offer it FREE but every referal you charge a % or a one off fee or even better commsission.

Anyway i wish you well.

Justin

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 08:23:33 pm »
Sorry Martin,

But that sounds too expensive for me; and I've already had very few calls/e-mails from a free site called 'Up your street', which is free.  If you type in Google 'Chepstow Window Cleaner', you'll eventually find me.  Soon you'll also find Ian_Giles I bet when he reads this!

Recent comercial work that I've had call me and ask for quotes I've gotten from the Yellow or Local Pages, which has a proven track record for bringing in work.

As for residential work, I do leaflets and advertise in the local Residents Handbook, but apart from one lucky area I've targetted with leaflets, my biggest take up is from people who see us in the street, or word of mouth.

I think £15 per month, for your average window cleaner (not Justin, who I believe is extremely successful) would be too much, when an ad in the directories cost similar - or cheaper if they're about to publish - and they're desperate for your custom.

Apologies if I sound negative here.  I'm only a Geordie after all.  What have you got to lose by 'going for it'.

Best of luck.

Tosh.

rosskesava

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 05:16:46 pm »
In all honesty I wouldn't pay £15 a month for space on a website.

Sorry, I just wouldn't. I can get 2000 A5 leaflets printed for £22.50 and our results rate per 100 leaflets is one job. That's 20 jobs in the exact area's we want.

We deliver leaflets on days when we can't work which costs nothing apart from the petrol.

Also, I think our outfit of 3 w/c's is too small for advertising on the web.

I wish you good luck though.