pete fearn

Scared of hieghts New
« on: February 23, 2005, 05:49:59 pm »
Are you scared of hieghts, i personly dont like doing third storey windows on a ladder but as i work alone i have no choice

Pete

Pete's Window cleaning

windolene

Re: Scared of hights
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 06:15:01 pm »
Hi,

My veiw is that my life is worth more then window cleaning money, so I never go above first on a ladder. I hope to invest in a pole system soon & I beg you to do the same as I guarantee you wont feel scared using one at 3rd floor.

NO CHOICE? ............THE CHOICE IS YOURS!

Roy Harding

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 06:23:35 pm »
Skys the limit dont mind at all. :) May be a lack of brains as well :)

rosskesava

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 06:54:15 pm »
I'll do first floor on my own but anything higher - never, not on my own, and I could not careless how much I need the money.

I will go upto the 2nd floor with someone at the bottom but only under severe protest. As for the 3rd floor - absolutely never.

Personally it not the height that scares me, it's the risk of falling.

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 07:08:40 pm »
2nd floor max for me, 3rd floor NO WAY! my lifes more important
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 07:24:08 pm »
2nd floor with a ladder mate any higher wfp

mark f

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 07:26:59 pm »
i would go any height although i do get scared when going very high (not often needed thankfully). I quite enjoy the rush!! :o

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 09:47:23 pm »
Hi easycleanwindows

Do you use both the traditional methods and WFP?

The reason I'm interested in WFP is mainly for above the first floor stuff (or the whole building if quicker).

Some WFP'ers use the poles for everything or so it appears from postings on this site and don't touch a mop or squeegie.

My hobby for some 25 years now has been rock climbing and I think that is safer than the 2nd floor on a ladder. Just the thought of the 3rd floor makes me shudder but having said that, the 'rush' that mark f spoke of can be a real buzz and that is the danger - it's addictive.

mgcleaning

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 10:02:21 pm »
don't like hieghts but will do first floor ok. (I too work alone) I agree with windolene, the choice is yours' life is worth more than the few quid you might get.
Life can only be understood backwards; but most be lived forwards.  
Soren Kirkegaard

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 10:21:58 pm »
I've got a handful of properties which take me to the third floor (or ground plus two to make that clear) they are all old farm houses and two of them are off grass so I put tent pegs in behind the articulated ladder feet and don't worry a jot about the height. (and I have ladder mitts too.)

All in the past as recently as last month cuz I've got a trolley now!

The only three storey one  left I might still do off ladders is an old georgian farmhouse with poor fitting sliding sash windows and I wedge the ladder feet into two inch high kerbstones conveniently placed.

We'll see! At least I can choose now without upsetting my customer! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

pjulk

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 11:57:04 pm »
Only go up one floor used to go higher and think nothing of it but now i am always a bit worried above the first floor don't know why as i have never had a problem.
I think as im getting older i think more of the safety than i did when i was younger

Paul

Mike_G

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 04:01:38 pm »
I dont mind going up to most levels as long as the ladder is on stable footing, if its not then first, second or even higher its going to hurt sooner or later.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 07:34:41 pm »
I don't think it's a case of being scared of heights; it's more of a sensible risk assessment you've got to carry out. 

Once I borrowed a fellow window cleaner's ladders for some 2nd floor work (ie ground floor, plus two) and it didn't bother me too much.

It was only a one off commercial job for which I was well paid - but the ladders weighed a ton and were hard to handle from window to window.

Some weeks later I fell (my own stupid fault - just one moment where I lacked judgement) from a pair of normal double extentions.  I was okay.  Shaken and bruised, and I thought if this had happened with a set of triples I'd've been dead or knacked!

So my policy is only to do first floor windows till I get a WFP.  I do a couple of houses which have two floors, but only clean upto the first.  The customers are happy enough - it's cheaper for them I guess - and I like the fact that the windows I don't clean act as a 'control' and shows them what the rest would look like if I didn't turn up every month!

My advice would be to do the same.  There's plenty of work at ground and first floor level.

Justin H

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 09:10:21 am »
I was petrified of heights when I started but now I don't even think about it.My main concern is that the ladder is in a safe position & then I'm just concentrating on the window I'm cleaning.No problem. ;)

Londoner

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 11:46:47 am »
If you don't have a bit of fear you are probably a danger to yourself.
Its the old joke " I'm not afraid of ladders, its the pavements that frighten me"

The more you do it the more you realise that accidents do happen and often for no obvious reason. I got blown off a ladder two years ago and I still don't know what happened.
It wasn't particularly windy. The feet were on solid ground . Suddenly, apuff of wind and I'm airbourne. Luckily I didn't hurt myself.

rosskesava

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 12:03:49 am »
It's not the fall that's the problem - it's the stopping at the bottom.

mgcleaning

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 10:52:41 pm »
funny thing! when i'm up the ladder i do be concious of the hieght but it' not looking down that bothers me quite so much as looking up  :o :o :o
Life can only be understood backwards; but most be lived forwards.  
Soren Kirkegaard

Philip Hanson

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2005, 11:57:22 pm »
I used to use triple section ladders to go up to the 3rd floor no problem.  I wouldn't do it now.

When I was younger and stupider, I used to take what I now know to be incredible risks.  In some ways, the work is more dangerous if you're not afraid of heights (like me) because you are not as careful.  Fear is healthy!  I genuinely cringe when I think about what I used to do.

Once, being a little bit lazy, rather than move the ladder I did the entire upper floor of a rather tall victorian house by clinging onto the window sills and brickwork.  When I had gotten as far as I could, rather than clamber back to the ladder, I leaped a 7ft gap into the householder's tree and then dropped from one of the branches.

At the time I didn't even think about what I was doing.  Sometimes I still see other window cleaners doing stunts worthy of a circus.

These days I am very careful when working at height, and it is very rare that I do that.  I prefer to get that "in the sky" feeling by rock climbing instead, being safely harnessed up and knowing that if I fall I won't be injured.

In a few months time I'll be doing some rope access training to learn to abseil.  There are some really tall skyscrapers here that I'd love to have a go at cleaning.  For me, window cleaning high up in the sky is a bit of an ambition.  Thankfully it is statistically a very safe way to window clean, much, much safer than using ladders.

My advice to anyone is, if you don't feel comfortable doing a window, don't do it.  Usually the customer is more pleased that you're honest enough to admit that you wont be doing it.  If they whine, let them.  Its your health, livelihood, and indeed your life that is at risk.  All they're risking is a dirty window.

Its a no-brainer.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

Chris Gillespie

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2005, 12:44:12 am »
Like my personal text states.

I ain't getting up no ladder!

Chris  :)

highwash

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2005, 10:16:08 am »
go up  a ladder? no chance - i get vertigo in thick socks!
W F P for me
Terry - HIGHWASH