AuRavelling79

Leisure Batteries for WFP
« on: February 18, 2005, 05:08:49 pm »
Peter Fogwill suggested a leisure battery for my trolley which I've got.

Bristol Batteries (Also Cornwall and Swindon) (0117) 955 6535 do a 75 amp/hour for £29.95 including vat. Seems good to me!
It's a game of three halves!

kcc

Re: Leisure Batteries for WFP
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 06:05:01 pm »
Is that a large one  ;) only will add to weight of trolley
system. I got a bike battery rated 24ampere and only
7x5x6 inches works well but 39 + vat umm :-[
keith

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 06:26:55 pm »
Yes KCC it's about the size of a medium car battery, but with a lifting handle.

It can sit where one of the water barrels sits in the aquatec trolley with a bungee strap around it. And with a bit of applied ingenuity I reckon I'll have made a rig to let me plonk it into place quickly and securely soon. You can even place a barrel on top of it if you need to.

I weighed up pro's and cons of size v duration and went for this because I can use it in conjunction with the smaller one supplied.

It seems that batteries are priced high for unusual (sales volume terms) types and sizes.

Ideally I wanted something about 40 amp/hours and a bit smaller, but it seems that smaller = m/cycle or wheelchair batteries which are about 20/24 amp/hoors and up around £50. Or small car batteries which are (according to the guy in the battery shop) designed to give a hefty whack for a few seconds to turn an engine over not prolonged less hefty output as per pumping water up a pole.

Of course I could have bought another powerpack from Peter Fogwill for £40 plus vat, but 2 lots of 2 hours still isn't enough for me.... so a leisure battery is the type for me despite it being heavy...

But next week will see how it works practically!

matt

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 07:28:48 pm »

Of course I could have bought another powerpack from Peter Fogwill for £40 plus vat, but 2 lots of 2 hours still isn't enough for me.... so a leisure battery is the type for me despite it being heavy...

But next week will see how it works practically!

2 hours for the power pack peter supplies, I have the same Battery and it lasts me all day (its starting to die at about 4 ish)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 07:31:58 pm »
That's interesting Matt! I wonder if I'm not charging it up long enough between using it?

Also do you find as it runs down that the remote doesn't switch off the pump so easily?

Derek_Walker

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 09:49:42 pm »
Hi

I normally get through about 4 of the power pack batteries in about 6 to 7 hours.
but that is non stop on a block of flats. Have now made up box to sit on the front which houses an 85 amp hour battery. Although this is heavy it gives me a minimum of two days work on larger jobs. Also the pump stays at a constant pressure where as the small batteries would run down reducing the output of the pump.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 10:16:20 pm »
Yes KCC it's about the size of a medium car battery, but with a lifting handle.

It can sit where one of the water barrels sits in the aquatec trolley with a bungee strap around it. And with a bit of applied ingenuity I reckon I'll have made a rig to let me plonk it into place quickly and securely soon. You can even place a barrel on top of it if you need to.

The battery can hang on the trolley where the other battery pack sits, this allows you to still use the two containers on the trolley.

Peter Fogwill

www.window-tools.com

matt

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 10:55:22 pm »
That's interesting Matt! I wonder if I'm not charging it up long enough between using it?

Also do you find as it runs down that the remote doesn't switch off the pump so easily?

i charge mine ALL WEEKEND, from friday at about 5ish till i start monday

then i get home on monday, stick it straight on charge till i start Tuesday morning

Get home Tuesday night, put it on charge, it does me all day

thats my week over with, i only work 3 days a week :)

but i get all day out of it, some days i start at 7 and do a superstore with it, 1 1/2 hours non stop

matt

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 10:56:00 pm »

oh and mine doesnt have a Remote control

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 05:33:19 pm »
Well chaps, I tried hanging the battery off the back of the trolley but it seems a bit precarious to me and it pulls the plate down a bit so that when I put the powerpack back on it falls off! So I've knocked up a battery carrier out of a flat bit of thin stainless or plated steel I had knocking about (part of a cheapo barbecue set I think).

I also thought about hanging it off the front but it puts the weight high and at one end  (bit like a heavy top-box on a motorbike - horrible)

Tools - hacksaw, drill, screws, handsaw, mole grips or pliers.

Flat plate with edges folded up about an inch to snugly fit the base of the battery.

50mm x 38mm wood screwed to each other side by side (100mm) x whatever the backplate is to the axle (about 10" on my trolley) so a clump of wood about 38mm deep x 10" long that fits snugly between the bottom rails, the axle and the back plate.

The flat plate of stainless steel is screwed to the wood so that when it is dropped in the bottom of the trolley  the wood fits down between the rails etc and the flat plate rests across the top of the galvanised bottom rails thus supporting the battery.

As the battery has a handle that folds over the terminals making the top flat I can put a barrel on top which then sits proud by the height of the battery plus the flat plate (but not the wood which is down between the bottom rails) upon which it sits.

The leisure battery is heavy at 16kg but less the powerpack @ 5kg = 11kg extra, so like having an extra half barrel of water in weight. It is noticable but I think my trolley has the reinforced axle.

All a bit Heath Robinson but seems solid enough so we'll see how it works next week when my electrical connector arrives from Peter Fogwill. 

Blue Peter badge for Malc G

Roy Harding

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 06:37:12 pm »
A steady on Malc, you will have to get road tax if you soup it up much more! :) :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 12:58:03 pm »
LOL ;D

kcc

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 07:25:00 pm »
p.s  I have hung bike battery on back but raised up
on small sectin of wood so doesn't scrape on ground and
tied to frame, dont notice much difference in trailing
trolley around what a mouthful  :o