choice.clean

am i the only one having problems with george
« on: February 18, 2005, 07:03:02 am »
i'm trying to get my head around george and it's doing me in
despite 4 weeks of using this program i still cannot work out basic stuff and this is after discussing it with a swansea university lecturer who teaches computing.
basic stuff that is not obvious
1. how to restore from a floppy disc
2. how to move a customer

problems continous errors wher the programme says that the tables have an internal error

i ahve emailed george several times to ask for a cd to be sent in the post no reply
have asked for a manual doesn't seem to be one

i am about to quit the whole thing and go to spreadsheet
i did warn the george people tha i would put comments on the forum so here they are folks just glad i didn't spend hours putting all my route on the programme or i would be well steaming by now i have wasted enough time as it is.

feel free to make your comments

replacement

Re: am i the only one having problems with george
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 08:48:18 am »
You must be the only one.

George is maybe the best software for £50 you can get and for 3 months FREE Trial you cant go wrong.

Shame your university lecturer (who teaches computing) did not tell you a basic command to view any manual on any programe.

Start George then once its loaded Press 'F1' then your see the manual. or start any programe for that matter and press 'F1'

All the other stuff ie Restore backup is all on the George website, to move a customer is easy start George click on System then Round Order.

I will say one thing thou i have a major hardware fault New Years day i sorted it all out and email Paul @ George with in 1 hr he had emailed back helping me, and within 2 hrs it was all working correctly with all the customers date restored correclty.

Justin

Roy Harding

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 09:14:14 am »
I have emailed Paul several times, and had a respones within minutes. And have used george for quite some time. Sounds like user error not software. Im sure paul would tell you in a flash how to do anything you want. :)

George Systems

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 09:30:25 am »
Hi

"have emailed george several times to ask for a cd to be sent in the post no reply"

You know that's not true !!

You have eMailed me 3 times and I've replied every time. As I have told you, we don't supply George on CD and we don't provide printed manuals. We update the software so often that we couldn't keep it all up to date - well not at £50.

If you are so keen on CDs and printed manuals why don't you try this: http://www.insightdirect.com/

It's about 10 times the price of George - but all that documentation costs money to produce and distrubute...

Paul

petski2

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 03:05:25 pm »
Here Here Paul.Its a great product and I couldnt do without it full stop.
Although now your here Paul I did email you a while and received a vague answer,I think the question was misunderstood. ;)
There are some jobs I want completely off my program.Now some jobs when I have deleted the history give me the choice of "Delete This Job" but some dont.Any ideas mate.
Thanks
Pete :)

George Systems

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 04:01:56 pm »
Hi Pete

You can only delete a Job if it's never been completed because the Finance record(s) created when you complete the Job "need" the Job record.

You can delete all the transactions from the Job History if you want to - or just set the Job Status to "Suspended" or "Complete" to remove it from your WorkList.

Paul

George Systems

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 04:41:43 pm »
Hi again Pete

I should read things properly before I reply !!

Contact me on our support@ eMail address. I have your internet backups so just give me an example of a Job you have a problem with...

Paul

choice.clean

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 07:25:07 pm »
manual doesn't have to be complicated just a booklet would do for those of us who are trying to run a business and work out george. If we had the time we woud go to college but unfortunately most programmers don't seem to realise that business software is for busy people.
who also have to have there eye on the ball while trying to absorb the information. much of george seems to be hidden for the unitiated.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 07:36:44 pm »
Give up complaining, be nice to Paul and he will help. George is childproof!

Duke

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 07:37:13 pm »
or perhaps instead of paper manuals.....just include a walkthrough/FAQ file....

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 07:40:13 pm »
What I did one evening was to sit down with a few cans and play about with the program and if I can work it out - anyone can.

Although it took quite a bit of time to start with, now, some 4 or 5 weeks later, it saves me piles of time.

Tonight it took about 5 minutes to enter todays work and about 30 seconds to print out tomorrows work and I could, if I wanted to, print out all next weeks also.

Just do what I did - play about with the program for a while.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 08:26:11 pm »
I've an excellent spread sheet which works for me, but George Systems is always nasty to me when I talk about it! 

Anyone who wants a copy and an explanation of how to use it can PM me.

George Systems

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 08:38:50 pm »
Hi

We are never nasty !

If you want to use a spreadsheet (or anything else) please do.

We know that George won't suit everybody's way of working - that's not possible - if it doesn't suit you then do it another way.

We think that George suits quite a lot of people - if you are not one of them then that's fine...

Paul

Roy Harding

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 08:40:47 pm »
Do you do any window cleaning your self Paul? :)

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 08:59:42 pm »
Sorry Paul, (George Systems), you're right, you weren't nasty to me.  That was wrong of me to say that.  I apologise.  But you did post:

Quote from George Systems

Hi Windows_Chepstow

That's really interesting ...

You only spend 10 minutes a day on it !

Assuming you work 6 days a week that's an hour a week  - 4 hours per month.

Guessing you normally earn about £20 an hour, you are spending £80 a month on a system that doesn't produce invoices, doesn't reschedule your done Jobs, doesn't record your expenses and doesn't back itself up to the internet.

It seems a little expensive when George does all that and more for you - and only cost £50. It would pay for itself in two and a half weeks.

Still - horses for courses I guess...

Paul :-)

End quote

Your reply was all completely rubbish mind.  Not nasty, just sarcastic.  I was extremely hurt, the sensitive soul I am and I couldn't sleep for ages.  I didn't reply for fear of flaming and getting more of your 'boot'

I know I'm a thick Geordie, but horses for courses.  I'll stick with my crayons and the back of my f*g packet.  I know how it all works, it's only ten minutes per day; done while having a coffee and it doesn't cost me a penny.

George Systems

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2005, 09:27:00 pm »
Hi

I wasn't being sarcastic - I just don't understand why people don't value the time they spend working - if you spend half an hour sorting out tomorrows jobs or keeping your debt records up to date - its half an hour unpaid.

Even if it takes the same amount of time to put the information into George, you get much more out of it.

Paul

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 10:32:53 pm »
I wasn't being sarcastic

Well I'm not sure about that with regard to myself, but I've extracted my pound of flesh and can now sleep soundly.

However, I'm sure George is a cracking programme.  You have far more admirers than detractors and it seems your after-sales service support is second to none. 

You also replied to my 'sarcasm' within half an hour, at 9.27 pm on a Friday evening so you must be extremely conciencious in what you do.

Regards.  I'll keep out of the 'George' postings from now on.

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2005, 10:35:46 pm »
don't stop now

ding ding ...........

round 2 please  ;D

Pureandclean

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 10:40:23 pm »
Hi Paul,
I've used George for couple of years now, best bargain I have ever come across !!
I have even printed off a work list of all my customers and given it to my business Bank manager, helped me get a loan !! He was amazed, never seen a window cleaner so organised....should have seen me before George.

Thanks again mate, would recommend George to any window cleaner.

::) Blessings  ::)

Graeme

riz

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2005, 01:18:51 am »
Same here, best ever as ive said before.

Tonight came in, put palm in, pressed button and downloaded todays work and uploaded tomorrows, all unpaid went automatically into debt list, all paid went on my daily,/weekly/monthly/yearly total, updated my expenses and placed all jobs in diary for next time in their exact place.

(mind you this took at least 18 seconds) ::) ::)

Paul