George Systems

New Version of George software
« on: August 03, 2003, 11:48:25 am »
Hi Guys

We just uploaded a new version (V3.56) to our website.

It has 3 new Job Frequencies requested by our Users (Last xxxDay of the Month, Twice a Month 1st and 3rd Week and Twice a Month 2nd and 4th Week) plus a number of internal enhancements.

There is also a smarter automated backup routine and the ability to disable it (in System/Settings) if you prefer to do a backup every time you use George.

For those of you using PocketGeorge there is now new version (V1.40) plus a standalone configuration program which will allow you to transfer different WorkLists and DebtLists to different Palms (so you can give your guys a Palm each with just their own work on it and collect all their data at the end of the day with the press of a single button) or just select which lists you want to transfer to your Palm if you are only using one. Please remember to follow the upgrade procedure described on our site when upgrading PocketGeorge.

Paul Sanders
George Systems
http://www.georgesystems.co.uk

MJCleaning

George Software
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 10:32:10 pm »
Ok so I have taken the first step in ridding myself of pen and paper by downloading the trial George package. Can someone familiar with using this give me some pointers as where to start!!.
Do you have to have round on Excel first or do you put all details directly on to software? Help Please.

Thanks

WavieDavie

Re: George Software
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 01:42:07 am »
Try . . . http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GeorgeSupport/ that'll get through quicker and you'll get replies straight from Paul Sanders - cut out the middle men!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

George Systems

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 10:22:05 am »
Hi

It's best to contact me direct on our "support@" eMail address.

You don't need to enter anything into Excel (unless you want to of course) - just put the Job details into George and away you go ...

Paul

MJCleaning

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 10:29:52 pm »
Ta very much for help!

clear glass

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 07:33:50 pm »
Hi All

I use George it is excellent and certainly makes life easier - stay with it and you will see the benefits!

gaza

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 06:33:02 pm »
WHOS BLOODY GEORGE? I WANT TO EMPLOY HIM,IF HE KNOWS IT ALL,JUST LIKE MY SONS
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Craig Wilson

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 10:13:06 pm »
I've started using the George trial pack too and I'm well impressed with it.  :)
Wilson's Window Cleaning Services

Central

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 11:28:14 pm »
Ive been using it for about 12 months and found it a great investment, saves a load of time especiualy if you get a palm and get pocket george - also looks professional to the customers

Ian Rochester

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 11:42:14 pm »
Had a look at the George package and would like to use it in PDA version, but how does it work when you have more than one vehicle out cleaning at the same time, will it download everything as normal or does one overwrite the other?

Or am I just not grasping the concept!!!

We currently have 3 vans/teams out each day each covering a different area

George Systems

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 08:15:35 am »
Hi

It's easy to set up - create a Round for each team, give them a Palm each and configure PocketGeorge to transfer the correct Round to the correct Palm.

You will get the maximum benefit if you have multiple teams - you can import each set of daily results onto the PC with a single keypress. Should save you loads of time !!

Contact me direct if you need any more info.

Paul

zeusjazmin

george system
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 09:16:26 pm »
it looks rather complicated to me ,has anyone got it?,if so whats youre opinion

Rob_j

Re: george system
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 10:41:44 pm »
It's very good. I was going to write my own system when I started up, but after using George for the trial period I thought it would be a waste of time. It only costs £50, just a few hours work will cover that.

As with any software it will take time to learn how to use properly. 'RTFM' or 'Read The Flipping Manual'.

Cheers
Rob

zeusjazmin

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 12:17:56 am »
thanks for advice

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 01:01:22 am »
A lot of people on here use george including myself.
I may look complicated but play around with it for a couple of days and you will see really how easy it is.
Plus if you have a PDA you can download your work onto that so no more paperwork to carry about.

Paul

zeusjazmin

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 01:04:04 am »
what is a pda?

pjulk

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 02:55:53 am »
what is a pda?
http://euro.palmone.com/uk/en/products/index.html

Its a small pocket computer that runs the Palm OS

Bit like an organiser but you can install loads of differant programs on it like a pc.

Work great with The George Program as there is another program you get with George called Pocket George that you setup on a Palm PDA.

So when you go round you have your round with addresses,names, prices, phone numbers all on your PDA
When you do a customer you tick her as done, When they pay you you tick as paid.
When you get home you put the PDA in a cradle and press one button it then send all you work that done to the George
program on your pc and download the next lot of work and any debts owing to your PDA so you need to really do nothing when you finish work for the day it does it for you

Paul

replacement

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 08:37:48 am »
Yes best bit of kit you can have. Also the help is out of this world. New Years Day i had massive computer problems and lost George etc i sorted out the Pc but could not get my George working again with the backup i had, so i email Paul at George on New Years Day and within 1 hr had a respones. Approx 2 hrs after the first email George was fullying working again with the help and informataion Paul gave me.

Justin

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 07:54:18 pm »
I use a spread sheet data base for oganising my round.  It's a bit of a pain to set up, but once you do, it takes about 10 minutes updating each day. 

In street alphabetical order, set up various columns to include:

An area code.

House Number.

Street.

Cost of Clean.

Date last cleaned.

Date of Current Clean.

Do they owe for a clean?

Remarks (to include name and telephone number).

Then with the 'sort' function you can retrieve lists by area, deleting the houses you've just cleaned.

At the end of each day, put the date into the current clean column and annotate 'yes' if they owe you money.  (Use the copy, cut and paste - to stop you re-typing the same date X amount of times).  Sort your next days cleaning list - print it off.

To find out who owes you money on collection nights - sort on the 'Money Owed' column and within seconds you have a list.  Delete the block that doesn't owe you and print off your list.

I may have made it sound complicated, but with a little bit of practice - you'll find it a peice of cake.  Honestly - it takes ten minutes per day. 

I also keep my accounts on an excell spread sheet - using different columns for 'Amount Cleaned' and 'Cash and Cheques Received' - just to show the disparity between my work rate and cash flow.

Oh, when-ever you store important data on a computer - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU MAKE BACK UP COPIES ON DISC, AND PRINT OFF HARD COPIES ON A REGULAR BASIS.  I do this once a week.

Rob_j

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 08:58:44 pm »
Good advice regarding backup, I backup to a remote location each time I use George.

I feel that even if you back up weekly you would still lose a lot of data if the worst were to happen.

If you backup to a floppy disk then it makes sense to keep the disk away from home (in the van or something).

I think the next version of George will allow you to backup to their own remote computer.

Whilst on the subject of software. Have any of you registered under the data protection act with regard to keeping a database of customer names and addresses, etc? I am not sure if it is required, (though I suspect that it probably is).

Cheers
Rob