thegmcleanmachine

chamois leather
« on: February 13, 2005, 02:23:23 pm »
although I am a valeter I thought that you guys can help. do you still use chamois and where is the cheapest place to buy it ?

cheers

matt

Grafters Cleaning Services

Re: chamois leather
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 02:28:23 pm »
although I am a valeter I thought that you guys can help. do you still use chamois and where is the cheapest place to buy it ?

cheers

matt
if it's for glass you need scrims not chamios try www.scrimcity.co.uk
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 05:32:28 pm »
Try to get hold of some old scrim, new scrim needs of couple of months to break it in.
Diluted Mr Muscle Window Cleaner will help (dont tell anyone i recommended it) :-X

Duke

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 05:55:25 pm »
it's a bit old fashioned...pre squeegy in fact...but if you really want chamois...try the local outdoor market or a car shop.....

Ian_Giles

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 05:57:58 pm »
A couple of months! Hell Stuart, a week at most I would say.
A full boil wash before use, and if an individual scrim, after a days work being used as a wet scrim for sills, frames and so on, as against buffing up glass, then maybe another days use after its second wash and it should be spot on.
There is of course microfibre cloths too, I haven't really used them, so I don't know how quickly they break in. The one I do have is very good, but its only one of the small ones, doesn't last very long because it isn't big enough.
Haven't bothered with getting more as I use WFP, so scrims and microfibre only used on insides and the odd window outside now.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Duke

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 06:10:32 pm »
talking of inside cleaning (which I don't do anymore...too much hassle)..I actually had one ask me to do the inside once..AND I USE A POLE.....I politely declined of course.....then went off for a good laugh....lol......ahh the carpets would have looked good after that one....is it just me ?

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 07:00:15 pm »
Hi Ian. Don't forget im giving advice to a car cleaner, not an experienced window cleaner.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 07:51:52 pm »
Ahh, point taken Stuart, I have sold the odd scrim to customers, and I do tell them it takes a while to break them in, it is a little different if you are using it day in day out for hours at a time though.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Duke

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 08:04:19 pm »
another tip Mr Valeter, if you do use scrim (for the inside of car windscreens I take it)...is tear it in half...a full one will be too much.