A quick way to put up your prices.
« on: February 12, 2005, 12:32:03 pm »
I took a day off and put the prices up on about a third of my round - an experiment if you like - using a standard letter I printed off my computer.

I used two different letters.  One for houses that I was already happy with the price and I increased those by 50p for every £5.00 I charged.  So if I charged £10.00 I increased the price by £1.00.

For those houses I'd really under priced, or those houses I don't really want (someone wise once said, there's no such thing as a difficult house; just an under charged one) I used the following letter:

Remember to use your own professional looking letter head, a good quality paper and check your spelling and grammar.

I've only lost one customer doing this so far (it was on Tuesday I did it) and that was my choice because they wanted me to clean them every other month.  I refused and they later told me they'd found a window cleaner who would.

Anyway, here's the text of the letter I use if I raised their price by far more than 50p in the £5.00.

I'll post both letters to the 'documents to upload area'.  I hope they're some help to someone.

------------------------------------------
Dear Customer,

WINDOW CLEANING – PRICE INCREASE

We have increased our price for the monthly cleaning of your property from

£________ to £ ________.  This increase will be effective at our next clean.

It is realised that this is a sharp increase in price, however when I first quoted for your property, I severely underestimated the price.  It is hoped that this will not deter you from being one of our valued customers and if you wish to discuss the above, please do not hesitate to phone me.  You may (of course) also ask other window cleaners for a quote and I am sure you will find that we are still extremely competitive.

I would also like to remind you that:

We are fully covered by public liability insurance, up to two million pounds,    for your safety.

We are as professional as possible.  This is our full time occupation and we do    not clean windows for extra 'beer/drug money'.

We are not 'fly by nights', who have started window cleaning, then three
   months later – pack it all in.

This is the first time we have increased our prices in two years, and it will remain fixed for at least a year.  As we have built our business, we have increased our prices for the new cleans we have taken on.  This price increase will bring you in-line with which we are charging already and means that we will continue to clean your house, rather than abandoning you for more lucrative business.

We look forward to cleaning your windows in the future.

Ken and Helen

AuRavelling79

Re: A quick way to put up your prices.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 12:47:54 pm »
Spot on! You've covered all the possible responses you might have had and given good reasons for them to stay.

Malc (of the "learning all the time" class!.)
It's a game of three halves!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 02:19:13 pm »
Thats absolutely brill. We all get frightened to put up the prices and just take on higher new priced work instead. You should be in PR marketing. Oh Oh we are all supposed to be entroprenurs ? Best tip for a long time.

sinbad

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 10:34:18 pm »
try this it works believe it or not
tell them they have gone up because you have to buy the wife one of those washing machine things/ plasma tv / holiday in bali / new car , etc
they just laugh and you have done it, try it it works

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 02:20:25 pm »
I used this method last month, out of 460 customers, I lost 4. I was hopeing to loose at least 10%. As there are no new "professional" window cleaners starting up in my area, (in fact, 5 have stopped in the last year),  any new work can be priced at premium rate.  ;D

Duke

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 06:03:37 pm »
and of course, If the customers have a contract with you (like our's) you can also build it in to the wording that prices may rise in pace with inflation per annum by X percent...or some such thing..
Anyway...it has to stay flexible....how many of you have turned up to do the monthly clean...only to find a whacking great conservatory has appeared on the back since last time ? I know I have, on more than one occaision....

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 06:05:23 pm »
great letter Tosh,

Really well put, ;)
Methinks it will be cribbed many times from here ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 06:50:04 pm »
Hi Duke. Do you get residential customers to sign a contract ???

Duke

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 07:23:36 pm »
absolutely...of sorts. We agree to give them the service (monthly/two monthly)..they agree to co-operate..(access etc) and pay up to the cleaner. Then there's the management fee they pay to the boss on a yearly basis. (But I didn't tell you that...he hates me discussing the details...and he looks at this forum...but never posts.)

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 07:45:59 pm »
So is it a verbal contract? And do they pay a separate management fee, if so is it directly to him ???

Duke

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 07:59:02 pm »
no , its a signed form..and yes, it's direct by standing order...cant discuss it further I'm afraid. (hint...check downloaded documents and previous posts...:-)...)

happymaids

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 08:46:30 pm »
Hey thanks Chepstow! This is  awesome!

God bless

Ian

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 07:27:14 pm »
try this it works believe it or not
tell them they have gone up because you have to buy the wife one of those washing machine things/ plasma tv / holiday in bali / new car , etc
they just laugh and you have done it, try it it works

Humour is always good to relieve an awkward situation.  I'll use the holiday in Bali one when I clean them next and ask for the extra cash.

Thanks for the compliments.  It's rare I get them on this, or any other forum! 

I've not lost anymore yet.  I think it works because I've put the onus to cancell onto the customer.  They actually have to 'do' something.  I hope most will just opt for the easy route; i.e. keep me on and pay me the increase!

aztec

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 09:28:48 pm »
great letter mate!

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 11:30:01 pm »
 ;D I'm getting s@xually excited here! :P

Duke

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 11:38:26 pm »
wait 'till yer missis get's hold of the pole.....(running and ducking)...

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 05:58:50 pm »
Hi windows_chepstow

Terrific letter. I've printed off a whole pile.

Did you post the letters off so as the customer read them before you called round or did you just hand it to them when you called?

If any of our customers complain, I'll blame you and say to them that it was your idea and not mine.  ;D

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 06:42:26 pm »
I took a day off and posted them through their letter boxes.  Give them at least ten days to react.  It would seem a little unfair to double the charge and then clean the next day, without giving them a chance to say 'no'.

I'm putting up the rest of mine next month since I've had such a good response from the ones I've done already.  I've just started cleaning the ones I've put up today, and everyone's been as nice as pie.  Nicer in some cases.

Apart from the extra cash, I think it sends the message out that you're professional in what you do.  Also I wanted to give the impression that the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

On a negative note, it could also be argued that I'm reinforcing the misleading stereo-type that some window cleaners 'are just burglars in disguise', (drunks or druggies).  I know one (or two) who fit that criteria.  However, after a brief tussle with myself, I put the 'drunk/drugs' bit in.  It might not raise the general standard of your stereo-typical window cleaner amongst my customers, but I selfishly have to do the best for my family first; rather than the trade in general!

I'm sure there's people who have read the letter, who've felt a bit uneasy about it.

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 06:51:37 pm »
If it's a problem in your area I wouln't hesitate to state that you dont do it for beer money. After 14 years some of my customers still suggest that I do it for beer money. Their price promptly go's up !!!