Re: Not what I expected
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2005, 11:02:25 pm »
Mal,
The yard sign has brought in about $1000.00 or so in revenue. It is a good thing. I would recommend it as another source of advertising. ;D

Love ya's,

Texas Girl :-*

Hey, I've just bought magnetic van signs at £40.00.  They worked for the first time today for a £7.50 a month clean!  (That's probably about 10 dollars to you Texas) Wahey!  Only another 5.3 (recurring) months and I've broke even!

As for leafleting, I've read somewhere that they have a 2% success rate.  My own experience of this agrees with the statistic.  I've put thousands of them out, and received very little feedback considering the volume of leaflets.

However, once you get a 'toe hold' (Duke's phrase), you'll pick up more customers over the months.  Door knocking after a leaflet drop, although I've not had the guts - or the motivation to do it, must be the quickest way of gaining new customers.  I will do it when it gets a bit warmer.  I'm a sensitive soul though.  I'm not sure I could take rejection after rejection.  It'll just remind me of my youth on a Saturday night after I've drank ten pints of lager, lost my false teeth down the toilet during a vomitting bout and didn't want to go back to barracks empty handed!
 :(

Re: Leaflet results - not what I expected.
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2005, 11:17:10 pm »
Don't bother with flyers! Knock on doors, be polite, have a shave!! Leave your home no. with them if slightly interested. When you do get work, wash regurlarly, and ware fresh clothes. Ask them to recommend you to neighbours, and call the first few times on a saturday. Avoid at all cost the husband, they never see the need for clean windows.  :D

Malcal

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2005, 04:14:09 am »
Hi All
leaflets do work. Saturday got a call from a leaflet dropped 2 months ago. A new estate where I had only 3 customers, gave the lady a quote and said I'd clean today. Cleaned 31, 32 & 40 then on to the new customer at 43, dropped leaflets at 41 & 42 on the way (note no extra effort here). Number 41 phoned as I was leaving so I picked that up as well. This lady had had 4 different WC put leaflets though her door including 1 of mine. Why did she wait till today I dont know.

You can drop leaflets at times you can't canvass say Sunday 08:00.
You often have to drop 2 or 3 times before the Lady of the house gets the leaflet before hubby bins it.
The more you drop over a period of time the more the target knows you will come back.
They cost almost nothing in time or effort.
Regards Mal

Ian_Giles

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2005, 09:25:09 am »
Ross,
How much did the 'A' board cost to get made up? I've been thinking of doing that one myself, maybe padlocking a couple of them to a convenient tree or lamp post and leaving them in situ for a few days.
I'm told that the council can collect up any they see that haven't got the relevent permisions if they are left in place for to long :o

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

marc al

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2005, 05:06:19 pm »
  I've got my van signwritten, 90 pound for down both sides and the back window, any decent sign company will design and produce for you, then it is always parked where you are working with no extra effort.

Duke

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2005, 05:12:42 pm »
Ours are sign written too.....the only 'A' boards we use are yellow 'caution, window cleaning in progress' one's......well, it's a nice touch...and if anybody did happen to trip on a hose, at least we can say 'well, there IS a sign out ! '.....helps to cover yer 'thingy' ...lol

Crystal Cleaning Services

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 08:54:40 am »
Well we have just bought some Hi-Vis waistcoats, had them printed on the back, with just "Window Cleaners" the phone number and the web address. Stardted wearing them on Monday and so far its already got us an extra 5 customers, one yesterday, just happened to be driving past, saw me up the ladder, pulled and has already booked us for a £20 a month clean. So well worth it. Staples do a magnetic sign kit for £31 if anyone is interested.

Scott
CCS
Scott Lacey
Crystal Cleaning Services
West Midlands
www.ineedawindowcleaner.co.uk

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 01:19:32 pm »
Well we have just bought some Hi-Vis waistcoats, had them printed on the back, with just "Window Cleaners" the phone number and the web address. Stardted wearing them on Monday and so far its already got us an extra 5 customers, one yesterday, just happened to be driving past, saw me up the ladder, pulled and has already booked us for a £20 a month clean. So well worth it. Staples do a magnetic sign kit for £31 if anyone is interested.

Scott
CCS
same here scott, i have a yellow reflective waistcoat that reads GRAFTERS CLEANING SEVICES and under that it says WINDOW CLEANER works well for me also talking of mag signs apart from the side ones on my van i also have 1 on the back and it just states in bold red lettering WINDOW CLEANER. the other day a man followed me in his car, waited until i got to my next job (a block of flats) and ask me to call at his house, which i did and it turned out to be a nice job indeed, be visual that's my motto.
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

rosskesava

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005, 05:53:15 pm »
Hi Ian

The A board cost £85. We went to a local sign writing/ stick on sign writing place. Picked it up today and it looks good. It also comes with a years gaurantee against any type of defect such as paint peeling etc.

All we have to do now is work out a way so as when it's on the roof of the van  (when we're at a job) that it does not blow away.

petski2

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005, 10:51:27 pm »
Iv lost count of the times this has happened.
I deliver leaflets to a full street say 50 houses.
I get 1 maybe 2 jobe.
When I go to clean them the neighbours come out and "are you the window cleaner that posted the leaflet" "Yes love I am"
"Oh will you start doing mine".
Lesson to be learnt BE SEEN. ;)