Grafters Cleaning Services

Do you really need to buy work?
« on: January 31, 2005, 07:29:23 pm »
Like most window cleaners, when I first started out I canvassed  for the work myself and over the time I have seen it grow. If the trend continues I will get to a point where upon I will be in the position to turn work away, however this is not something I really want to do (more work more money) I’ve now found a mate who has helped me on a few occasions and is interested in going fulltime but there is not enough work to keep us both employed on a fulltime basis. I did consider buying some work off other window cleaners in my local area and have recently been on the lookout, however something happened today to make me re-think. I was driving my van to a local area to clean a few shops when I spotted 2 cleaners on a house job using WFP and as I’m still using a double pointer I stopped, introduced myself and ask the guys if I could watch them at work as I’m part interested in WFP for the future. I have to say that these 2 guys were very friendly and explained the advantages of poles, as time went on they ask me if I would be interested in buying £600-00 worth of ladder work 5miles away from my area so I took their number and said I would give a call over the next few days.
So off I go to continue with my days work, to cut the story short it has been my best day ever for picking up new customers without canvassing or even using flyers, just being in the right place at the right time was all it took.
In total I picked up 9 new customers today totalling  £120-00 worth, 8 jobs @ £7-50 each and 1 old peoples home @ £60-00, now I know this doesn’t  happen ever day (be nice if it did) but it made me think why part with good money when there is loads of work out there, it’s just means working harder to find it, but doing it yourself either by canvassing or other means don’t cost your anything except your time and if you’re a newbie you should have plenty of time on your hands. Another thing that would bother me about buying from someone you don’t know is that you don’t really know what your getting until you’ve parted with your money and completed the work. They maybe under priced or not want a new cleaner etc.
I not saying don’t buy, all I’m stating is that with extra hard work you will get a good round of your own for free, I for one will not buy now. So good luck to you all.
P.S. I’m going up to the NEC to look at possible WFP
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

matt

Re: Do you really need to buy work?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 10:15:00 pm »
well i brought ALL my work in

from a guy retireing, from a guy moving back to austrailia and some1 who had too much work on

3 days per week, 6 week turnaround

worked for me

of course now i can take new house on when asked, but too be honest, i have enough work

i paid 1 X the round, thus 1000 of work a month cost me 1000 quid :)

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 12:15:09 am »
hi matt, 1 x the revenue seems fair but the guy i spoke to today was on about 3 times the value therefore about £1,800 although he did say we could do a deal. from what i understand 3 times seems to be the going rate and if thats the case you would be working 3 months for nothing and that don't appeal to me, however i'm glad it worked out for you.
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

marcinos

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 10:55:40 pm »
only 1X turnover :o lucky you. one gezzer wanted to sell me his round mostly high street shops worth 2000 for 12000 :o :o
but usually  here in london is about 4x

BEN DAVISON CLEANING

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 09:53:05 pm »
I payed 2x for my round.Best £4000 iv ever spent ;D