Duke

ooh the pain...
« on: January 31, 2005, 04:46:48 pm »
anybody else suffer from 'Tennis Elbow'....went to the hospital for an appointment today....diagnosed as such.....cause, using mouse on PC (over the last 10 years) and window cleaning. Got loads of anti inflammatory tablets and offered Hydrocortisone injections in elbows...  :'(  no ta I sais...hate injections...occupational hazzard ?  ???

AMG

Re: ooh the pain...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 05:21:47 pm »

I feel your pain brother...

last month it was my sholder, this month seems to be my elbow's turn, both in my right arm never in the left. I would be worried of the long term effects, but I can't really see a way around it.

I'm not much help really am i?    ???

Andy

Roy Harding

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 07:26:45 pm »
My eye dosnt hurt its about the only thing :) :) old deecrepid

Justin H

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 08:16:24 pm »
Duke.I had tennis elbow for months.Absolute agony.I got a proper sports elbow support from boots.It took a couple more months to heal but I now have no pain.I have given up some of the exercises down the gym that helped cause it mind you.Worth it,no more pain.Don't get a cheapy support.Get the proper sports support.Pricey but well worth it. ;)
Justin H

Duke

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 08:27:30 pm »
thanks...got one...

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 09:07:23 pm »
Havn't had tennis elbow (yet ) but last summer I started suffering with a really painfull neck and my missus wasn't the cause.

I ended up, after suffering all summer, seeing an osteopath. He said ... guess what ... caused by the same repetitive way of cleaning windows. In other words - RSI.

After spending a fortune (about £500 between then and now @ £30 a visit) I'm pain free and have to go back every 2 months now but soon that will change to every 6 months.

Another really bad draw back is I have to do stretching excercise for about 15 minutes every day.

All those small niggly irritating signs of ageing (well I am 47) - all gone and I have no aches or pains anywhere and havn't done for months now.

All in all, worth the cost albeit it expensive.

Colin_Glenn

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 01:06:19 pm »
I too had a very painful neck last year around September time. Caused by muscles going into spasm. I had been WFPing for about 3 months and I had to take inti-inflamatorys and wear a neck brace for a few days. At one point it was so painful that I couldn't lift my head off the pillow without putting one hand behind my head, the other hand on the side of the bed and pulling. Agony.  :'( :'( :'(

In the end I started taking hot baths on the advice of a friend. After the first bath I noticed a definite improvement and I was back working a week later. No problems since. I hope it stays that way. 8)

Regards, Colin

Transparent Weather Exclusion Systems Technician.

Glen

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 11:16:21 pm »
Is using a WFP less physically stressful than the traditional way i.e. on the arms shoulders and back.

Also, if anyone has been suffering any overuse symptoms prior to using a WFP, have they improved since converting to WFP use?

karlosdaze

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 11:46:25 pm »
Wfping at height gets my neck now, your back soon gets used to it. Try standing behind the pole & not to one side, as demonstrated to me by Reuben from Ionics.

texas girl

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 04:12:43 am »
Duke,

That is one of the main reasons I had to give up window cleaning each day.  I had tennis elbow in both arms. About the only thing that really works is rest.  :P

You can treat the symptoms, wear braces on your forearems, get cortizone shots, take anti-inflamitory meds, do special exercizes, but it is painful to have to deal with. :-[

That is the main reason I began to train people and do more in the area of management. :o

Sometimes if I do a large job, I will feel it in my tendons the next day. Especially a lot of scraping will do it.  :P

Hang in there; maybe rest your arms when possible or hire a helper? ???

Take care,

Texas Girl :-*
Debbie

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 10:17:53 am »
Glen, I was falling apart flat feet fallen arches, wearing support boots, Knees on the way out from ladder work etc ( I am now 54 maybe the oldest wfper and use a back packI used to have prolapse of the spine probs but now find the excercise means I have no probs) . I now suffer from different probs like not having to worry about falling off or winds etc Buy borrow beg or steal but get one before everyone else does.
You do have to build up different muscles just as when you started on the ladders your legs would go stiff. You need to learn the correct way to use it.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 01:00:21 pm »
How much do you think weight comes into the equation?

When I started I was 16 stones (6ft tall) and up until four years ago had only dropped to 15 stones.
I found my knees often ached the morning after a long days window cleaning. It took me about a year to get down to my present weight of 13 stones - but I get no knee joint pains at all now and I'm 45.

I know we're all different but not carrying 30-40lbs of fat up and down a ladder has helped enormously!
It's a game of three halves!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 01:58:59 pm »
Thats an amazing 16 bags of sugar ?

karlosdaze

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 03:09:14 pm »
I used to have all this, resulting in sciatica and a week in bed & injections last year. I now take what I call my work pills, never had any trouble since. I don't need to do any exercises either. If anyone wants to know where you get them - pm me.

Duke

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 05:20:59 pm »
after further consultation..and the anti inflammatory pills, cream..etc, etc....it seems that the only real cure is rest....and apparently it's rare to last more than a year as a condition anyway. Well, my wallet can't afford to stop work...so I'll have to put up with it, but rest it as much as poss. Interestingly...the Docs say that after 60 it's unlikely that I'll suffer from it...as it mostly affects 30 to 60 year olds. Oh well, only ten years of agony to go then ! lol....

mark f

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 07:26:21 pm »
take cod liver oil tablets they help the aching elbows. I work 8 hour days flat out and they help greatly.

I know that wfp systems are the in thing but they never took off in america to the same degree because of the rsi injuries caused. I think also in holland window cleaners are having big problems with wfp related injuries. (there they have strict ladder laws to). So i may not fall off a ladder but when i get round to getting a wfp i may be crocked up with knackered neck and shoulders!! (nice) :P