Malcal

"Dutch bungalows"
« on: January 28, 2005, 04:13:06 pm »
Hi All
Hope you can help me.
Just bought some extra work. The houses are "Dutch bungalows", they have windows with flat roofs which protrude from the roof which extends beyond the downstairs windows. The roof is at to steep an angle to stand on safely and if I lay the ladders on the roof tiles, the ladder needs footing unless dug into the lawn (which the customers expect). But it puts me at an awkward position to clean well and quickly and if no lawn then footing. Both of these lead to a low hourly rate. The estate is mostly elderly so wfp may lose a lot and take time to convince the others.
Cheers Malcal

Rob_B

Re: "Dutch bungalows" New
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 04:17:29 pm »
These are the reasons the work was for sale, it sounds too dangerous without wfp, I would try to get rid if you can't convert them. :(

pjulk

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 04:36:37 pm »
Have you tried a standard pole to clean them with your normal tools and a fixi-clamp to touch up any bits

It's not worth risking your neck for, tell them it's to dangerous to clean if they moan and the only safe way is by using a pole.

Paul

Malcal

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 04:59:05 pm »
Hi Paul and Rob
Its not dangerous just time consuming and so not a good hourly rate, I am talking to each customer as we meet about wfp and they'd all be happy if it was left dry!!
Cheers Malcal

Duke

Re: "Dutch bungerlows"
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 05:02:27 pm »
I know the sort of Bungalow.....would still be best with the pole though....it's daft really...their apparent trauma over wet glass.
What do they do when it rains, one wonders....have heart attack's....lol

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 05:05:13 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm visualising these bungalows correctly, but if I am and the windows aren't too deep could you put the ladder at the top of the window and reach down?
It's a game of three halves!

Malcal

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 05:16:05 pm »
MalcG
If I put the top of the ladder at the bottom of the window on the roof tiles and stand on the 2nd to top rung I can hold the top of the flat roof above the window and clean the window slowly but safely. If I put the ladder on the top of the window I can't reach the bottom of the glass. I really do thank you all for your help.
Cheers Malcal

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 05:38:31 pm »
if you had ladder mitts you could place the top of the ladder on any transom bars like I do on similer properties thus you may then be able to reach top and bottom of pane.

But take no risks!
It's a game of three halves!

Pureandclean

Re: "Dutch bungalows"
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 11:25:19 pm »
I've done similar buildings by using short pole off ladders, but convert them to wfp, tell them about new law coming in and explain about health and safety....

::) Blessings  ::)

Graeme

Ian_Giles

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 09:07:32 am »
I think you are well aware of the fact that WFP is really the only way to do these, I know you can use extention poles and clean them the trad way too, but you won't do as good a job that way.
Customers have to be educated, print out some info, even print out the health and safety changes for them :o (thats a joke by the way, there is a link on one of the forums to the official government site, heavy reading :-\)
When and if you go over to WFP, get them to at least give it a try for a couple of months.
Tell them that if you have to continue to clean them the trad way, it makes them a 2 man job as you have to have someone footing the ladder, this of course means that to be able tro keep cleaning their windows you would have to increase the price considerably.
Have you seen Shrek 2?
Well if you have, wring your hands like Puss in Boots and adopt his expression of abject innocence and sincerity when dealing with them 8)
You may lose an account or two, but the time taken to clean the windows will more than compensate.
If you only have a few of these houses then it is neither here nor there if youi are taking a little longer to clean them the trad way, unless you are actually in the process of changing over to WFP then just carry on, but slap a quid on your price.
If it is an estate full you have, then that is different, cleaning them the trad way is dropping your income.

Within a few years there will not be many window cleaners working of ladders, I have been given an account on one estate near me  (by another guy on here actually) where the only guys that can really do the houses are those with WFP, along with myself there are 2 others cleaning windows on this estate, all with WFP.

Make the change, don't get left behind :-\

Ian

Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES