How to earn £200 per day!
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:22:20 pm »
I placed the following on a different window cleaning forum and it's been a real hit, although I did take a lot of flak for it.  Some agreed with me and some thought I should stop whinging.

Those who felt I was refering to them (personally) were the most upset!

Anyway, I'm thick skinned.  What do you lot think.  I've cut and paste it.

Hi,

On a different thread (something to do with bad weather) - I've had a shedfull of advice on how easy it is to earn £200 per day.

The suggestions were (for example), 'Get yer prices right mate', or 'Any fool can be a busy fool'.

Now I do believe it's possible to make £200 per day - but not from such inane advice - and I think it would be the cream of the window cleaning fraternity to earn this.  Your average window cleaner would not earn £200 per day.   

One window cleaner claimed to have made £285 in three hours from doing a block of flats, just by 'getting his prices right'.  He said he finished at 11.00am (assuming he started work at 8.00 am) and could've made more if it 'weren't for the wind'.   

And onto my main thrust, but in the same vein... six months ago I sold some work on to a new window cleaner from this site - he was determined to be earning 100K pa (I'm not sure on what timescale) - but was highly excited from what he'd been reading here.

He's now sacked it and went back to his old job.  Disillusioned, no doubt, because he told me he was struggling to make £50 per day.

It's wrong to say you earn £200 per day by 'getting your pricing right' or by 'Not being a busy fool'.

Firstly it encourages people like the lad I sold work too (who is married with 2 kids), to give up his job and put his family through turmoil, for what he thinks will be £200 per day; then have his dreams smashed by reality.   

These dreams may have been inspired by certain people here, making it sound really simple to earn 50k per year.

Secondly, I think those who do it, do it to show off - or they could be living in dream land!   

My final point is, don't just say how much you earn with a vague suggestion to how you did it.  Tell how long you've been in business.  Tell how much blood you've sweated to get where you are.  Tell how you actually did it!

Don't make window cleaning sound like 'Easy Street'.  It's flippin well not.  I've even stopped smoking to make my income grow!

I apologise for my whining, it's been really cathartic, but I think I have a valid point here!

AuRavelling79

Re: How to earn £200 per day!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 08:37:59 pm »
I agree Windows_Chepstow

For me £200 a day is possible - but generally that would be a longish dry day of 8 hours working on good houses with a good business account thrown in (not driving, eating, drinking, yakking). The next day I'll be tired and feel good about £160 - if it's dry.

So for me a good 5 day week that is dry in spring/summer might hit £800+, but rain, wind, ice, snow, dark winter days can lead to a £300 week in tough weather.

Do the maths, get organised, constantly look for new business and sell on/give away less productive stuff, use a pole where it works well and I don't see why a single operator couldn't get to £1000+ on a good week and £600 on a poor week.

I'm never quite that organised though - but I want to be so that's half the battle!
Of course we can all get lucky once in a while and pick up the cream account - but don't bank on it lasting forever!

But still no paid hols/sickness pay/holiday pay so down come the averages.
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 08:55:00 pm »
LOL Tim - were you in sales by any chance?
And how old are you? We decrepit fogeys have to use a zimmer frame to get to the car!
But I admit there is a grain of truth in what you say - so how do you do it? Go like Billy Whizz or have a good-priced round. (Or both)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 09:14:54 pm »
I'm just keen to learn, Tim, that's all - no offence intended. (Modified to say "Where've Tim's posts gone?")

Duke

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 04:54:57 pm »
I think it is possible to earn £200 a day. Ok , not every day, depends on the houses being all on one estate. Many of mine are. I say this because..I can easily earn £100 plus in 5 hours..and often do....the reason I don't make £200 a day is basically because I'm a lazy sod, and get bored after about 5 hours. Should I work an 8 to 10 hour day (in the Summer of course...it would be quite feasable.) That's using the pole ....no chance using the 'old' way. So yes it is possible...and you need the customers due as well....that's what I've found anyway....

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 10:29:27 am »
Good post Tosh,

I'm lucky, I have one day a month where I can top £200, and if certain accounts fall due on the same day I could get up to £300 in a single day.
But I can't do this every day.
Sometime this year I hope I can link these accounts together, but they are only likely to coincide once or twice a year :'(
I can only manage this because of the WFP, would have been physically to difficult to do this with ladders, all 3 storey stuff and really demanding off a ladder.

You can certainly earn up to £200 a day, I doubt that at the end of  the year you will have averaged that though, as Malc said, once you take days lost to the weather, sickness, holidays, and time lost chatting or extended dinner breaks, or a late start and early finish you are probably only working an average of 5 hours a day actually cleaning windows. to earn 50 grand a year working only 5 hours a day will be going some :o

Now some of you may well work from dawn to dusk 7 days a week.

I don't.

I work so I can live, I don't live so I can work.

Mind how you go ;)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 01:15:20 pm »
I think £200 per day maybe a bit hard for most of us to reach (even if you use a ladder) based on 5 days @ £200 that equals £1,000 per week. I personally don't know any local w/c's earning a grand a week if they were everybody would be at it. I personally can make £100 a day weather permitting but then maybe I'm just too slow? Sometimes when I get really busy i.e. fit in a load of gutter cleaning jobs then I use a mate to help me out (not fulltime though) then I can make more money. Perhaps all those w/c's that claim to be on £200 a day employ lots of help and had more than enough work, how knows?  As for a one man opperation........... £200 a day I don't think so!
If you are one of these guys on that amount then good luck and well done.
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 10:10:20 pm »
Last Saturday we (there's 2 of us working as partners) managed £288. We started at about 8.30 and finished the round just as it got dark at about 4'ish. That level of money is only once a month and I dread that day. That was for 7 very very large houses all almost next to each other and nearly all with easy access to most windows but how often can w/c's end up with such luck?

We did not stop from start to finish and drunk the cups of tea 'on the go'. The last 2 houses, I was doing the windows out of habit. On the last house I left 2 windows that looked ok because all the 'go' in me had 'gone'.

I got indoors at about 5pm and collapsed on the settee and did not hardly move for about 2 hours. When I later went up the stairs to go to bed my legs were like lead and aching. My shoulders were actually painfull to move.

Today I am a bit stiff but ok but had I been working Sunday (today)I would not have been able to do the work. I have been done in all day.

Monday (tomorrow) we have just 9 2 up and 2 down town houses for £90. If it was anymore than that - I wouldn't be able to do it.

So .... well said windows_chepstow. This magic £200 a day. Yeah. Sure. All good priced gold mine jobs and the energy goes on for ever. The only window cleaner who told me he was on a grand a week turned out full of the proverbial bull.

Pureandclean

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 10:55:50 pm »
I just read that too, still recovering from £200 a day, but £1000 ???

I have been trying to change my mindset to, aim for £200, but aiming for £1000, I just don't know !!!

It is one thing going out and canvassing new areas and setting these prices, but how do you change your regular customers that you've done for years, from their present price to several pounds a month more.
I've read all those posts, but i am putting my prices up by 50p a house at the moment not £5

I have a feeling that when another excellent window cleaner comes around and charges £2 or £3 a house less then some of these guys could be surprised at just how quick their rounds shrink.
I know that most of us on these forums would not compete on price, but there are plenty that will !!!

::) Blessings  ::)

Graeme

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 10:59:58 pm »
Changing the subject a bit - do you regularly work Saturdays and or Sundays?

For me - I've never worked a Sunday and only Saturdays when I have to play "catch up" or do a school.

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 12:22:35 am »
I've never worked Sundays but Saturday's - those I do cos I've found them to be the best. This year we are planning to have Mondays off as well as the Sunday otherwise it gets to much.

Pureandclean - last October the young 17 year old lad (full of the attitude and 'not my job') who was working with us decided that £140 a week cash in hand was not enough and anyway, he wanted to be out with his un employed mates on their peds (scooters) so he joined them. He had demanded a £10 a day payrise, as he was 'needed' by us and 'did all the work' anyway. The fact he was unemployable anywhere else didn't enter his mind but as the saying goes - 'quick...... employ the young while they know EVERYTHING'.

We had some under priced jobs honoured by us from the w/c who we'd bought the round off that would then be seriously a lot of work for 2 people as oppossed to 3 and just not worth doing. They were hardly worth it anyway but loosing the kid made it worse. This lad got the push on the day we had these jobs.

My partner said to just dump the work and to call and say sorry but it's not worth us doing them. I said that if we are going to call and say that then why not try and explain it and double the price. If only half agreed to the rise then we'd get the same money for half the work and anyway, if no one agreed, then we'd lost nothing.

Please remember these were seriously under priced.

4 out of the 6 agreed and 2 actually said they did not know how we could make money with such low prices. In December 1 of the 2 who said no phoned up and asked us to start doing their windows again.

My point is that some times just have the balls. I was uncertain but this new year we have added on average £1.50 to each job. So far out of about 40 jobs only one has said no.

As for the customer getting another window cleaner, let them. There is always someone who'll do it cheaper. We now leaflet 10 houses every side of any house we do the windows of and we ask a good price because we do a good job. There are always customers who'll pay for good work. I've learnt to accept that some will say 'to much' and to them I say good bye. Our ratio's is 2 no's to one yes.

Try it for a month. You may loose some customers but what you end up with is a good posture because you have a good sense of self value for your work and that will get you more work than you will loose.

Cheers

Ross

Ian_Giles

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 06:37:14 am »
Well put Ross,
Having the balls to put your price up is sometimes all it takes. I have often found that the hardest thing of all to do, particularly if they are accounts you have had for years.
Taking over jobs from others and putting up the prices I can manage 8) Though sometimes the look of shock on their faces puts me in fear that they are going to keel over :o
On occasions over the years I have picked up handfuls of houses where their old window cleaner had done the usual disappearing act, these customers couldn't seem to understand that the reason they had gone was the fact that they were charging so little for the work they were doing.
Then they are further shocked when you knock on the door to collect the money after 15 minutes, the other window cleaner took twice as long, have we missed any windows?
I even had the odd one huff, "Twice as much and twice as fast, wish I was a window cleaner."
Fortunately people soon realise they are actually getting a better job done and pleased to see you every month.
People will watch an experienced window cleaner in action, perhaps they watch him clean their own house, or maybe its the parents house, it looks so easy, 15 minutes work, £7.50, wow! They are earning 30 quid an hour :o I could do that, its easy money.
Their mindset may be that they would be happy with 15 quid an hour, after all, thats £600 a week!! (standard 40 hour week) Way way more than they are taking home, and everybody knows  that self employed people pay barely any tax.
So off they go and start to pick up work, they only charge half what you are charging.
Then they start to wonder how it is possible to clean a house in under an hour let alone under 20 minutes, and how the hell do I use this squeegee, it looked so easy when I watched that window cleaner.
They get quicker, but at the end of the week they are not even making £200 let alone £600, then along comes the winter, it isn't fun anymore and they have to spend hours every week collecting money.

disillusioned, they jack it in and get a "proper" job.

Window cleaning isn't easy, it takes graft and effort, it is a very physical job, lugging ladders around and climbing them all day takes it out of you. £7.50 in 15 minutes sounds good, but it doesn't equate to £1200 per week, you won't do 4 an hour for 40 hours, you won't actually work 40 hours, you have to travel between accounts, they won't always be next door to one another and there are myriad other things that combine together to cut your income down.

Not every account is £7.50, I was of course generalising, but many of you will be charging around that figure for a standard 3 bed semi, and it will only take you approx 15 minutes to clean that house, now in a standard 8 hour day you would think that would give you a possible £240 for a days work ;D
Uh uh, if you can whack out £150 you will have done very well indeed, you will also be shattered too :'(
And if you can do that 5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year, then you are a better man than me :-\

mind how you go ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Duke

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 11:26:50 am »
well said....the math and the reality are rarely good friends......there's always going to be good days and bad......fortunately, there's usually more good one's.

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 01:22:46 pm »
Ian - nice posting and how true.

Toady we had 9 places to do but had to cancel it all because the weather here is too windy and it's looking like tomorrow will be the same.

That's a days work lost forever. I wonder how many aspiring window cleaners realise about the weather and does the lady last week, who said we were 'to quick' to do a good job and very pricey anyway, know I'm not working today?

mark f

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 04:04:58 pm »
missed all the fun what did tim have to say then?

mbosticky

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 05:45:49 pm »
If the weather is too windy, do you cancel because the wind could blow you of the ladder?

I have never done this but I will give it a try. I am going to try to avoid using ladder, and use a pole instead when possible.

Martin.
Martin Bosticky

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 05:47:16 pm »
the weather is bad here too (southampton) lucklily i had 2 gutter cleaning jobs to do which i managed before the heavens opened up so still made a days wages, not £200 mind.
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

sham33

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 10:38:16 pm »
The answers to this topic seem alot more honest and sensible than the replies on the other forum.

Have to pop in here more often  ;) For me £150 would be the limit for a decent days work. Don't hit that very often either.

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 10:40:17 pm »
i agree, £150 is more achievable
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 08:31:39 pm »
Hi,

I gave in and apologised to those I wound up on the other window cleaning forum.  They started sending in pictures of what they cleaned with captions like "£3000 for two men to clean in two days" and stuff.

So I apologised, said they were right - I was wrong - and bade them farewell. 
My mother always told me never to argue with fools - and there were two or three of them there alright!

Mind you, I could've posted a few photos myself - of a council flat with '£1,000,000 per window.  Takes one bloke and an old rag ten minutes!  Get yer prices right'.

However, I did receive some very good advice from level headed and communicative window cleaners who admitted they earnt less, but gave lucid and believable tips on how to increase your income.  But ignore all that rubbish - they don't earn a grand a day.

The main advice I received from those that earn £1000 per day was as follows:

"Get yer prices right"
"Proffesional prices proffessional job?"  (I'm not sure what the question mark       
                                                                indicated - although I asked - nothing
                                                                was volunteered)

Also, judging by the replies - for high earners - they seemed to be very sensitive in some areas!