Glen

Gloves that are actually warm
« on: December 12, 2004, 05:03:28 pm »
I invested in a pair of Glacier perfect Curve Gloves believing they are the best on the market but still found my fingers going numb. I then bought the thermal glove liners but I still have very cold fingers after half an hour outside on a cold morning.

I believe there are battery operated heated gloves on the market used by Yachtsmen who also need a high degree of dexterity. Has anyone used these or know of any other gloves which are effective for someone with less than brilliant circulation :(

replacement

Re: Gloves that are actually warm
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 06:18:49 pm »
Keep you hands warm when the temp is -20C.

I put them on and straight away i noticed how well padded they are, with a like nice lambs wool inside. Well looks like lambs wool, What i also noticed no seams anywhere which means no water getting in.

Did a small review over on another forum, all i can say is best gloves i have every had. They keep your hands very very warm and well worth the £20 for them.

Hope over to http://www.omnipole.com/ or ring them on 020-8405-6782 ask for Mark or Glyn.

Good luck

Justin

Justin

Glen

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 10:09:36 am »
Thanks Justin.

They don't appear to be fitted gloves though, more like a rubber glove fit. Does this not affect your dexterity for handling tools/scrim etc?

Glen

replacement

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 03:18:54 pm »
I Dont use tools unless its a inside clean. I am wfp 100% all the way, but they do keep your hands lovely and warm.

Justin

Duke

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 05:41:48 pm »
I'm using neoprene dive gloves at the moment...nice and warm, but don't keep your hands dry particularly, though not too much of a problem on the pole. One thing, they do stop my hands from getting black, like they used to from the aluminium..(ally pole)

WavieDavie

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 10:43:18 pm »
There are three basic types of gloves for us to use.

Open Cell neoprene - Unger, Contico - where some water seeps through to the skin, it then warms up to your skin temperature and you shouldn't cool down by too much because the water evaporating is on the outside of the glove, which is insulated. If the moisture evaporating was on your skin - same principle as sweating to cool you - it would chill you down to the outside temperature. When you DO cool down, you dip the gloves back into the hot water in your bucket. They need to be washed every second day minimum, because they end up like old socks. Whatever you're handling gets wet from the damp glove.

Closed Cell neoprene - Glacier - insulate the same way but no water gets to your skin. You've got to have really warm hands to give you a start, but same as before, you can dip your gloved hands into hot water every now and again too. Both the neoprene types of glove have a velcro'd strap to keep them secure on your hand, or to keep your cuffs tucked into the open end of the gloves. Both open and closed cell neoprenes are also very easy to damage, but you can buy repair kits from diving equipment shops. You sew the tear and then apply a urethane sealant to seal the gap.

Rubber Gloves - Marigolds - are OK for washing up inside, but would need an inner liner for insulation if you were outside. The ones from Omni, as Justin shows, are a thicker hard-wearing rubber glove with an inner insulating glove sewn together at the open edge. They are definitely warm! It's going to have to be really cold to use the additional liners you can get with them. Once wiped - or rubbed against your work clothes! - they're dry. Good for using cloths or writing a slip to leave with customers. Only drawback so far is that the open end IS fairly open, I'll maybe get some large elastic bands from a friendly postie to help with that. They look bulky compared to neoprenes, but are surprisingly easy to use traditional window cleaning gear with. Overall, they're the best glove I've used so far, and I've tried every glove I mentioned.

The Marigolds with cotton inner gloves were from years ago when I was sea-fishing, before anyone asks!

You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

matt

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 10:53:59 pm »
1 fault i can see with the onimgloves

THEY ARE PINK

WavieDavie

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 11:00:49 pm »
The photo has lost something between the gloves and arriving here - they're closer to a dark terracotta colour. The lining is a lot more yellow too.

My Marigolds were definitely pink, though  :-[
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Old_Master

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 08:41:58 am »
I hope this photo shows the colour more clearly

If you look carfully you can also see the hand part of the glove is textured, for good grip.

Rob_j

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 11:50:43 pm »
Unger neoprene gloves are fantastic, though I only use WFP now, they may be to cumbersome for traditional method cleaning.

replacement

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 12:56:11 pm »

Thats what happens to neoprene gloves with a WFP. Plus your hands smell pretty bad.

Justin

pjulk

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 01:31:45 pm »
Unger neoprene gloves are fantastic, though I only use WFP now, they may be to cumbersome for traditional method cleaning.

I use them for traditional and i find them great although the tips of my fingers still get cold but nice and dry.
Only use them when i have to though which has not been very often.

Justin how long did it take for you gloves to get like that

Paul

replacement

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 03:40:57 pm »
I  brought them in April and used them for approx a month, they where pretty good i must say. But i got a couple of holes and once the water gets in there not very good at all. Anyway i started to wear them again approx Sept and within 2 months they where loads of holes. So all in approx 3 months use.

Justin

Duke

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 05:47:42 pm »
still say dive gloves (£15) are good.....but then, I'm a diver.....

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 08:07:35 pm »
I use Unger neoprenes like the (shredded) ones in Justin's pic - I buy in October, use as necessary from November, usually a hole or two by January - chuck away end of Feb when they're hangin'.and buy a new pair for next winter in October before the supplier runs out of stock during the first cold snap. For best effect dip your hands in warm water at start of first clean before putting them on.
It's a game of three halves!

mickeyfat

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 01:02:59 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 08:39:03 pm »
I've a problem with eczema and using fairy liquid.  Recently I visited the doc' who advised me to change from using a neoprene glove to a heavy duty 'Marigold' with a cotton inner glove.

I did, and they are absolutely magic.  I've one pair of black heavy duty marigolds and three pairs of inner cotton gloves.  They do not slow me down. Dexterity is excellent and they keep my hands warm.  Once the inners are damp, I change them for a dry set.  And my hands do not smell like peanuts!

They're also a fraction of the price of Unger neoprene - so it doesn't really matter if you lose one out of your pouch now and again.

It's about £3.00 for the heavy duty marigolds (buy extra large - so you can wear them with inners), and about £2.00 for the inners from Boots.  Medium fits me - I'm pretty average sized in the hands department.

gaza

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 11:31:27 pm »
I never wear gloves,load of woofers,I recon if you get cold your not working hard enough ;D
mind you I was a brussel sprout picker when I was much younger, now that what you called cold.Open field, freezing ,snowing,brussels frozen solid.picking them in pink marigolds.try putting your hand in the ice bucket at your local
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Ian_Giles

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 06:20:44 am »
I have just ordered the gloves form Omnipole that Justin has, up until now I've used the Unger ones.
Waviedavie is wrong in his assesment of them though, in the respect that they are (when not worn out and leaky) completely waterproof. Your hands will sweat in them and get wet and stinky that way, but until they start to get damaged they are waterproof.
My unger ones aren't quite in the shredded state of Justins, but they are starting to look pretty manky :-\ So it's time to change to the fur lined ones that Omnipole supply!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

zymotik

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 05:03:14 pm »
I use http://www.sealskinz.com/ Seal Skinz!! They are £20 from camping shops. Bit tight at first but they strech. Outer layer has brilliant grips that 'stick' to brick walls, nice and tight so can do anything pretty much normally. Three layers 1) Hard wearing with grips 2) Waterproof & breathable membrane 3) soft inside thats lovely and warm! Yum! Major plus: Don't make you had stink and they are warm!!

Check out the site guys, well worth usage!