Trevor Knight

Re: Should I join the apwc?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 04:08:47 pm »
Wow, does that come complete with a laptop  ;)
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

colley614

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 04:24:47 pm »
Thats looks quality. I can't wait until I've got the cash to join. I think it will get me a fortune in new work.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 04:28:43 pm »
It will certainly help to portay an overall professional image, along with a few other tweaks, ie uniform etc

Trevor Knight

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 04:28:55 pm »
Please realise, joining will not guarentee you any more work but it won't harm your business either.

Look forward to welcoming you on-board!

Regards,

Trevor

colley614

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 04:51:42 pm »
it will guarantee you work if you market it correctly. Especially if, on the APWC website it explained the criteria that had to be met by window cleaning companies that had joined the association. I think that being part of the APWC is part of the package that gives your company the glossy professional image that window cleaning companies are looking for these days.

twt

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 04:56:53 pm »
trevor just been looking on the apwc under th who can join section and it states public liability companies can join is this a typo should it say public limited company plc or am i mistaken

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 05:02:21 pm »
Philip

woops,    :-[    Well spotted.

Will let our webmaster know

Dave

p.s now fixed  ;)

Trevor Knight

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 01:20:29 pm »
it will guarantee you work if you market it correctly. Especially if, on the APWC website it explained the criteria that had to be met by window cleaning companies that had joined the association. I think that being part of the APWC is part of the package that gives your company the glossy professional image that window cleaning companies are looking for these days.

Very true, the criteria is detailed so you can use that as a reference. The reason I said that there are no guarentee's as unless like yourself, you use it to your advantage, there is no guarentee just because you are a member you will gain new work, however, I would like to think it will certainly enhance your standing and hopefully give you an edge, so to speak.

Regards,

Trevor

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 05:01:26 pm »
To be honest i don't see the benefit to joining either association apart from being able to tell customers you meet a certain standard and are proffesional, I will be happy to join one as soon as I know what other benefits I will get, for example, advertising space in yellow pages, insurance, equipment discounts etc etc. Will somebody please explain the benefits of the following:

FWC
APWC

Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 07:10:46 am »
To be honest i don't see the benefit to joining either association apart from being able to tell customers you meet a certain standard and are proffesional, I will be happy to join one as soon as I know what other benefits I will get, for example, advertising space in yellow pages, insurance, equipment discounts etc etc. Will somebody please explain the benefits of the following:

FWC
APWC

Luke

Hi Luke,

You hit the nail on the head! Its about meeting standards and presenting a professional image?

The APWC is able to offer you a range of benefits - please look at this link

http://www.apwc.info/membership-of-the-association-of-professional-window-cleaners/full-list-of-apwc-membership-benefits/

The Federation is able to offer these benefits:

http://www.nfmwgc.com/benefits.htm

At the end of the day you choose which organisation you feel will be better suited to your requirements.

Good luck with your decision :)

Trevor

gary999

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 08:45:55 am »
Hi i think these associations are a good idea but i dont think their
would be any benefit to joining myself as my round is all domestic.
quite honestly i dont think 99% of my customers care a jot about insurance,
associations or uniforms as long as the job gets done.

If there is a change in the law and shiners have to be licensed or acredited
to an association then the benefits will be their for all to see. but untill
that happens customers and cleaners attitudes will stay the same

hope it all goes well :)

Trevor Knight

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 09:22:31 am »
Hi i think these associations are a good idea but i dont think their
would be any benefit to joining myself as my round is all domestic.
quite honestly i dont think 99% of my customers care a jot about insurance,
associations or uniforms as long as the job gets done.

If there is a change in the law and shiners have to be licensed or acredited
to an association then the benefits will be their for all to see. but untill
that happens customers and cleaners attitudes will stay the same

hope it all goes well :)

An interesting view and to be honest probably a very accurate one. I am in my 16th year and can count on my hands the number of domestic customers who asked to see insurance etc... that is until about 4 years ago when we started getting involved with heritage homes, country manors and mansion along with stately homes. These type of customers really do appreciate the steps taken to present a more "professional" image so to speak.

The trouble is, the domestic customer doesn't care that much, until, when an accident dictates a H&S investigation and the homeowner finds themselves in "hot water", then it becomes real.  People believe it's only commercial properties that need to worry when in reality we all know that's not the case.

I know several local window cleaners who have done the vanishing act following an accident when property has been damaged, another great step in getting people to raise their perception of a window cleaner. Had they had insurance then things would have been different and if anything the customer would have sang thier praises the fact that they DID have insurance and replace the damaged glass/property.

regards,

Trevor

Trevor Knight

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 01:31:36 pm »
Out of interest, and this is a general question to all our readers, what is the most important reason to join any organisation? Is it the benefits you get, the aim of the organisation, what makes joining the most beneficial?

Just curious to see what you all think?

colley614

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 04:43:37 pm »

To be honest with you guys. My main incentive is to give my company a more professional image. As I'm dealing with a couple of medium sized businesses now I like to blow there socks off and flashing them a badge and stuff is something I would love to do.

Can I make a suggestion if you don't already do it? How about sending each member a certificate with a membership number on it. Its just I have a thing for certificates for my business at the moment I have 3-4 including my insurance....sad I know :) 

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 04:50:44 pm »
we already do send out certificates with membership numbers on.

Dave

colley614

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 04:57:11 pm »
I like the idea of that. Is there any way you could arrange something with simply business to offer members a discount?

Trevor Knight

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 08:04:02 am »

Can I make a suggestion if you don't already do it? How about sending each member a certificate with a membership number on it. Its just I have a thing for certificates for my business at the moment I have 3-4 including my insurance....sad I know :) 

Please excuse the quality of the scan, my scanner is not the best in the market place but hopefully this will give you an idea of what you will receive.

Regards,

Trevor

Trevor Knight

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 08:07:15 am »
I like the idea of that. Is there any way you could arrange something with simply business to offer members a discount?

We are constantly approaching various suppliers/manufacturers with a view to giving our members a discount. We are currently putting together the package and will be able to launch this very soon. We will never sell equipment directly ourselves as this is something as an association we do not want to be involved in.

Rest assured, we are always looking for ways to gain our members as much as possible!

colley614

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2007, 04:32:07 pm »
I understand why you won't be selling equipment and I think its a good thing that you are looking for discounts for members. This would help people out on keeping their outgoings down and I probably spend a lot more than I realize on equipment like squeegee blades and scrapper blades even getting a discount on them would save me a few pound a year.

Anyway I put a few ideas together which you are already in the process of doing. I will try and think of a few more as I think its great that I can have an input on the association. 

Trevor Knight

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2007, 08:33:44 am »
The main thing to realise is as an association we believe it is vital that we LISTEN!

Yes we have our own vision and certain issues we wish to address but by listening to our potential audience we have a greater chance of success and truely making a difference.

Keep your ideas coming and we will always take a serious look at any proposals.

Regards,

Trevor