Poll

Do you work in the rain.

I don’t work in the rain because I don’t like getting wet.
I don’t work in the rain because I believe my customers wouldn’t want me to.
I work in the rain.

Steve Newres

Working in rain.
« on: December 18, 2017, 04:53:31 pm »
This came up on another thread and I’m not sure it’s been debated on its own thread for a long time. I’m just interested what the balance is. My experience is that where I work, every Window cleaner works in the rain except one who’d rather not work at all and uses the rain as an excuse for a day off.

alank

Re: Working in rain.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 05:00:51 pm »
Work in the rain unless fully up to date and fancy the day off

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:21:13 pm »
i work in the rain if i can be arsed too, if not then i dont. Its that simple same with freezing temperatures.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 05:27:06 pm »
I'm not rigid, I am fluid. I didn't become my own boss to hail missery on myself. I do whichever takes my fancy on any particular day.
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 05:28:00 pm »
if ive got work due then yes but i dont bring work forward on a very wet day! ;D
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:32:09 pm »
I work in moderate rain but won't work if it's absolutely belting it down, not because im bothered about getting wet but more that my customers might not like it or even worse it makes a mess of the glass

It also depends on circumstances. If it's a Friday and I've done a lot of work that week I'm more likely to take the day off than if it's been raining everyday and i must get out and earn no matter what

Generally when it's raining fairly heavy I'll try if possible to change the order I work in to try and clean the ones who I know are out in the rain and those who are in when it's stopped.

Just try and work round it.

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:40:17 pm »
I hated loosing plenty of days off work just because it was raining. Now that i use wfp,  it isn't an issue any more. Plus I EDUCATED my customers, old and new and all are OK with it.
So i get the days off i want and not what the weather dictates to me to have off!
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Frankybadboy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 05:41:10 pm »
you aint a window cleaner unless you work in the rain  ;D

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 05:47:23 pm »
We don't get enough rain where I am in the south east to cause me a serious problem in this regard so I choose not to. If it starts whilst I'm out I might work through light rain to get finished. But if it's the kind of rain that I have to put waterproofs on to keep dry then I stop.
I guess if I lived where rain were much more regular an occurrence then I'd get some waterproofs and carry on.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 06:04:37 pm »
the truth is if you have a full round and you choose not to work in the rain you stand to lose literally thousands of pounds over the course of a year.every time you dont complete your weeks work it has a knock on affect next week and the week after and so on.

i never used to work in the rain many years ago when on ladders( i was always skint too! ;D)
price higher/work harder!

Steve Newres

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 06:22:12 pm »
the truth is if you have a full round and you choose not to work in the rain you stand to lose literally thousands of pounds over the course of a year.every time you dont complete your weeks work it has a knock on affect next week and the week after and so on.

i never used to work in the rain many years ago when on ladders( i was always skint too! ;D)
Or have your days off dictated by the weather a Nathan said. I think there’s lots of semi retired guys though that choose only to work 3 full days a week so I guess they can offer a service that includes not working in the rain.

The thing that I can’t understand is those that employ and don’t work in the rain. To my knowledge I’ve only ever lost one job from working in the rain (my choice as it was a minger of a first clean and she said “is there any point?”. I just didn’t go back.) so there’s no business reason not to clean in the rain. If someone skips in the rain that’s fine by the way, but has only happened a handful of times.

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 06:26:56 pm »
I work in the rain because some of my customers say "You always call when it is raining" and I don't want to let them down.

Seriously though, it depends what's to be done, and if it's a shower or a monsoon.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 12:25:35 am »
If the rain is hitting the windows I don't work. All you jokers claiming that you've educated your customers, or is it clients ;D
#letsmakesimplewindowcleaningintoanartform#

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 12:42:34 am »
If the rain is hitting the windows I don't work. All you jokers claiming that you've educated your customers, or is it clients ;D

So to clarify...... What will happen if rain water falls on the windows whilst your cleaning??
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 12:51:09 am »

So to clarify...... What will happen if rain water falls on the windows whilst your cleaning??
To clarify, when the rain picks up particulate matter it will leave marks on windows.

Walter Mitty

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 05:40:19 am »
I usually work in the rain. I do make exceptions though. Only a few days ago we had a day of heavy rain and high wind, and I was pretty much up to date with work - so I took a day off.

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 07:31:38 am »
It's really the wind that makes the rain leave a mess. If rain falls straight onto the glass its probably ok but with wind it blows off gutters, walls and sills etc. Same if it's heavy rain it bounces off the above.

Jonny 87

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 07:52:53 am »

The problem is, it can rain at any given time, any given day.

You could clean the windows in a beautiful sunny morning, then it could rain that afternoon.

I’ve never felt that rain makes windows dirty. Always the wind that blows dust onto them, but rain on its own, Mayb slightly? Not so much.

It’s just a hazard of the job.

I bet we care about the rain a lot more than a customer does. They just want a regular and reliable service in my experience. If you can deliver that by not working in the rain, then fair play.

Personally I’m full with work, and In scotland I’d be having multiple days off every week if I didn’t work in the rain. 

The customers don’t examine the windows for some slightly spec or “particulate” on the glass from the rain. They just want rid of the bird mess, the spiders, and things generally looking clean.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Missing Link

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 08:26:25 am »
It all depends for us.  But we've a local trad guy who I've seen working in a monsoon.  We'd taken the day off and we were driving to the gym, and then after planned a nice lunch down town afterwards.

He just looked miserable and desperate.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

nathankaye

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 08:49:48 am »
All this business about rain making the windows dirty is the type of stubborn old thinking that I expect customers to have, not other window cleaners on wfp systems.

Have you ever collected rain water and tested it with your tds meter? I suggest you do! But not from your down pipe as that will collect further dirt from the roof tiles etc.
Yes, for rain to form it does need dust particles but test some rain water in a cup and share the info on here.
Then take into account how we clean with wfp compared to using soap etc with traditional equipment and you will find your answer.

I clean in the rain and I clean every four weeks and guess what? Im cleaning virtually clean windows and frames every time!  Its amazing really because it rains quite a bit within the 4wks between visits and according to you lot, I should be cleaning filthy windows.............. Dont figure    ::)roll ::)roll
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk