wpclean

Gutter cleaning getting busy !
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:04:32 pm »
Don't know why, but been really busy with gutter cleaning lately, which suprises me cos they usually call when its raining !

SB Cleaning

Re: Gutter cleaning getting busy !
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:56:19 pm »
I've got another booked in for tomorrow ;D

I really like the gutter vaccing...

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:11:53 pm »
Got a big one tomorrow too... not looking forward to it my shoulder is nackered.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:18:59 pm »
That was a killer doing gutters in the sun!

To make it worse I have massively underpriced it & im nowhere near finished  :'( 

School boy error didn't check the gutters & they all have that plastic netting on  :'( :'( :'(
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

wpclean

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:24:26 pm »
I take the netting off, and explain that it shouldn't be fitted as it causes more blockages !   Got a similar job to do next week, and charging a lot more for it, as I need to use ladders  ( will be shutting myself ) !!!!

Nick Day

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:37:33 pm »
Begs the question....why on earth do you need a ladder??

wpclean

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:08:21 pm »
Can you get it out without  . . . . .talk to me !

Nick Day

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:33:02 pm »
You need to stop relying on vacuum power, which only burns out motors and causes modular poles to jam solid, and start to use your imaginations to create tools that clearweeds, downpipes and right round the swannecks.
We've got them, have never been stumped, we don't even have a roof rack.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:37:48 pm »

Hi Nick

Do you know if your attachment heads are compatible with the grippa/gardiners carbon tubes?

Avo

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:30:17 pm »
What you been smoking nick  ;D please explain in more detail..

wpclean

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:13 pm »
Yeah, you talked the talk, now spill  ;D

wpclean

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 05:13:16 pm »
If you can take the netting out of the guttering without ladders on the job we have planned tomorrow I will give you the money !

robbo333

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 05:24:38 pm »
Hi Nick
So you don't use a vacuum, you don't use ladders and you have all the tools to do a quality gutter clearing job, even round the swan neck?
Well I am certainly intrigued and my imagination isn't what it used to be.
Enlighten me.
P.S I don't have a roof rack either.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Nick Day

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 05:34:46 pm »
Read what I said again. We use vacuums, but we do not rely on their power to remove stubborn weeds, clear downpipes or swannecks.
This method of using only vacuum power for everything takes a lot longer, burns out motors and can seriously jam modular poles.

robbo333

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 05:46:24 pm »
Sorry Nick, I stand corrected. I never read it thoroughly.
So having never ever used a gutter vacuum, can I ask which type of tools you use?
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

SB Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 06:36:34 pm »

Hi Nick

Do you know if your attachment heads are compatible with the grippa/gardiners carbon tubes?
Take that as a no then ???

Avo

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 07:19:12 pm »
Nick don't you sell gutter cleaning tools I'm sure you do?

wpclean

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 08:33:03 pm »
Nick don't you sell gutter cleaning tools I'm sure you do?
Must be good ones if they can do what he says they can !

steve hamblett

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 10:37:40 pm »
Am i right in thinking it's physically quite a bit  harder than using wfp? Thought of doing it as sideline but as good gear costs a lot and it seems like hard work, I'd have to make a good hourly rate....what kind of money are we looking at?

Nick Day

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 08:24:41 pm »
I didn't reply because I knew we had a job today which would involve our tools. We always use a 1400 watt vac .
We removed the weeds with our downpipe fork, which ironically is proving to be the best weed remover be it downpipes or gutters. The weedhook comes into it's own when the weeds look like overgrown lawns in the gutters.
The customer wanted the swannecks checked (we do it on every job) so we brought the "ferret" into operation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH1qgKYvYE&feature=youtu.be
This screws its way through anything up to 1 metre down all swannecks.
It means that we can leave EVERY job knowing there will be no call back, and it clears everything.

wpclean

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:12 pm »
I didn't reply because I knew we had a job today which would involve our tools. We always use a 1400 watt vac .
We removed the weeds with our downpipe fork, which ironically is proving to be the best weed remover be it downpipes or gutters. The weedhook comes into it's own when the weeds look like overgrown lawns in the gutters.
The customer wanted the swannecks checked (we do it on every job) so we brought the "ferret" into operation.
It means that we can leave EVERY job knowing there will be no call back, and it clears everything.
Would it clear this -

Nick Day

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 09:21:23 pm »
Gutter guards are the biggest con of all times. We have been paid by councils to remove them. Get the head of your vac, press hard on to it, and most rubbish will come through it.

wpclean

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »
Gutter guards are the biggest con of all times. We have been paid by councils to remove them. Get the head of your vac, press hard on to it, and most rubbish will come through it.
Agree about the wasted money, but these were tied in with wire, and I had to untie every single one on each bracket, and remove the stuff which tore my fingers to ribbons !    The new vacuum was terrific though, as after I ripped the stuff out I vacuumed
the whole lot !    Here is an after pic-

wpclean

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 09:39:58 pm »
These types of guttering are the hardest to clean for us, as bits under the brackets take some shifting, I am getting a pressure washing pole made to clean using low pressure soon, so this will help  ;D

wpclean

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 09:42:42 pm »
I am still puzzled as to why we are so busy with the gutter cleaning in this weather, as normally it is usually when the weather is bad we normally start getting calls  :-\

SB Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 07:51:29 am »
I am still puzzled as to why we are so busy with the gutter cleaning in this weather, as normally it is usually when the weather is bad we normally start getting calls  :-\
I wouldn't worry mate...just get out there and clean them ;D

wpclean

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 08:11:18 am »
I wouldn't worry mate...just get out there and clean them ;D
True . . . . have you liked me ?

Smurf

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 09:23:23 pm »
Look good but still you can't get away from using ladders at times surely to remove blockages by hand at times?
That is you can get a ladder set safely to sort it out.

Smurf

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 09:44:05 pm »
Do you use any ladder safety devices?

Myself for roofline work I prefer to use an ankalad stabaliser fitted to my ladders that fold in when not needed & microlite standoff that can rest on roof tiles.

I take the netting off, and explain that it shouldn't be fitted as it causes more blockages !   Got a similar job to do next week, and charging a lot more for it, as I need to use ladders  ( will be shutting myself ) !!!!

wpclean

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 09:56:38 pm »
Yes I work with our lass, and she foots the ladders ( although she does get distracted and sometimes wanders off ! )  The ladders are over 10 years old now, so thinking of changing em, as I have been told that when they are at full stretch they can snap suddenly when they are older !

wpclean

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 09:57:18 pm »
Bit like me really !!!  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 11:20:00 pm »
This is the setup I like to use,,,
I don't have to rely on anyone footing the ladder for me either especially if they like to go wandering off ;D

Yes I work with our lass, and she foots the ladders ( although she does get distracted and sometimes wanders off ! )  The ladders are over 10 years old now, so thinking of changing em, as I have been told that when they are at full stretch they can snap suddenly when they are older !

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 11:34:41 pm »
I don't have to rely on anyone footing the ladder for me either especially if they like to go wandering off ;D

looks like overkill to me,its a flat surface you dont need the ladder footing,put the ladder under the gutter and no need for the safty devices and a 3.4 m double should do the job

wpclean

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 11:35:05 pm »
That's a beast !

wpclean

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 11:36:52 pm »

looks like overkill to me,its a flat surface you dont need the ladder footing,put the ladder under the gutter and no need for the safty devices and a 3.4 m double should do the job
If you put it under under the gutter, you would have to lean back and in all probability fall off  ::)roll

Smurf

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 11:42:25 pm »
I like to know for sure the ladder is not going to move but is up to others what they do.
If you take a fall from roofline height then you will not be walking away afterwards that's for sure.

Smurf

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 11:45:41 pm »
You would on this one that's for sure as the soffit is very deep. There is also no room to place the ladder or a normal standoff under the guttering safely.

If you put it under under the gutter, you would have to lean back and in all probability fall off  ::)roll

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 11:47:12 pm »

never fell of yet,when you are stood 4rungs down you are level with the gutter,if you are still scared use a stand off,sold mine this year as it had beeen unused in the shed for five years

Smurf

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 11:53:05 pm »
Like I said before it's up to you how you go about roofline work but having a ladder set up like that I've found has many advantages than just using a normal ladder.

never fell of yet,when you are stood 4rungs down you are level with the gutter,if you are still scared use a stand off,sold mine this year as it had beeen unused in the shed for five years

Smurf

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 12:10:38 am »
It might seem overkill to some but that's how I prefer to work when using ladders for roofline work.
Most will struggle to get to the guttering let alone be able to clear roof gullies etc which is another service I offer.

Smurf

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 12:35:38 am »
Here are some example pics of clearing a roof valley.
Would be no point in just clearing the guttering whilst that lot was still up there.

Smurf

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 11:04:10 am »
Nick I often have to use my imagination as I come across many awkward jobs that I still need to use ladders.

Trying to clear this example from the ground even with the type of tools you use like the weedhook would have been useless as the gap was tiny to get the sods out. I even had to bend the guttering to get them out and use quite a bit of force to remove them.  That was easier than having to push it further along and out of the end with the end cap removed because of the sods getting stuck under the tiles. To be honest if there was not a conservatory in the way it would have been quicker to dismantle the guttering to clear it.

That one I quoted over the phone (big mistake) too but lucky for me the chap gave me a good tip for the extra time it took sodding about so too speak.  ;D

You need to stop relying on vacuum power, which only burns out motors and causes modular poles to jam solid, and start to use your imaginations to create tools that clearweeds, downpipes and right round the swannecks.
We've got them, have never been stumped, we don't even have a roof rack.

Smurf

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 11:08:00 am »
No more mowing on that one  ;D

Here is also the tool that I used to drag the sods back to me ;)

Also the front was just as bad so is always better to price a job up not over the phone methinks as even when asked if the customer could see any weeds which he said yes I did not expect it to be so much hassel & sodding about.

wpclean

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2015, 09:16:09 pm »
Smurf you are like Rhubarb ( the lovable cartoon dog )  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 10:03:44 pm »
  ;D
Smurf you are like Rhubarb ( the lovable cartoon dog )  ;D

Plankton

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 10:56:33 pm »
That was the biggest waste of 44 seconds this month!
 I'm thinking that there's something interesting going on here..... but NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smurf

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 11:02:38 pm »
 ;D well what were you expecting? 

I'm thinking that there's something interesting going on here..... but NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

wpclean

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 11:24:09 pm »
Bet that's what your wife said !