paul alan

Experience with part time employees??
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:11:38 pm »
Been humming and harring about employing.

Have heard its easy enough and little commitment to employ part time.

I have a day or possibly 2 if l work saturday spare each week so lm thinking l could work and train someone from my van.

Then see how things progress from there.

Has anyone else done this kind of thing?

nathankaye

Re: Experience with part time employees??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 12:30:34 am »
All the best on the venture!

Ive gone off the idea of training up people now. In the past ive trained up a small handfull of individuals when on trad tools. It just slowed me right down, teaching and checking their work etc etc.   I then took on ones who partially knew what they were doing and kinda finished their training or fine tuned it. But it doesnt take them long to think about going it alone to make more money, and these were friends. So i helped em canvass completely different areas.
Though saying all of this, it shouldnt take too long to train them up on wfp, so you should be able to do it in little time. I suppose its everything else to work out....
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

G Griffin

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:45:09 am »
Don't forget the Workplace pension.
It's the law.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:03:59 am »
I'm going this route also.

Took a lad out for a few hours this week. Not going to be as easy as I thought...wfp seems so easy to us but to someone who has no clue it's surprising how much there is to show and explain.

paul alan

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:22:06 am »

Ive gone off the idea of training up people now. In the past ive trained up a small handfull of individuals when on trad tools. It just slowed me right down, teaching and checking their work etc etc.   I then took on ones who partially knew what they were doing and kinda finished their training or fine tuned it. But it doesnt take them long to think about going it alone to make more money, and these were friends. So i helped em canvass completely different areas.
Though saying all of this, it shouldnt take too long to train them up on wfp, so you should be able to do it in little time. I suppose its everything else to work out....

cheers, l may need it!

paul alan

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 08:27:08 am »
It's the law.

l spoke with a business advisor yesterday, l believe if they are not earning more than £113 per week l don't need to apply pensions.

l do still need to apply holidays and liability insurance though.

there are various ways l can employ these part timers though with different rules.

Og

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 08:31:44 am »
I have a part timer. You have to consider their other employment and how that may affect their time with you. You'll need employees liability and a contract. PAYE is fairly simple if you have an accountant.
Holidays are pro rata (about 11 days pa for a two day a week guy).
My advice would be to get a second van asap as that makes more money on residential cleaning by about 25% (for us anyways) than two guys one van.

Good luck!

paul alan

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 08:31:52 am »

cheers, l may need it!
apparently a European law came into effect a few years back that said you cant stop someone from earning a living in their own area at something they are good at, so really you cant stop someone from going it alone in the same area after you have trained them. you can put a clause in the contract as a deterrent but you cant really enforce it.

Its all down to picking the right people.

paul alan

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 08:42:05 am »
I have a part timer. You have to consider their other employment and how that may affect their time with you. You'll need employees liability and a contract. PAYE is fairly simple if you have an accountant.
Holidays are pro rata (about 11 days pa for a two day a week guy).
My advice would be to get a second van asap as that makes more money on residential cleaning by about 25% (for us anyways) than two guys one van.

Good luck!

l don't really have any invest able- cash at the minute, the plan is to take someone out with me on friday and then saturday too and the money earned from that will be investment funds.

l work Monday to Thursday with the wife so will have a seat and pole free after this, it makes sense to me to use my own set-up for the job. This way l can use the part timer to help with building the business, he can leaflet with me and after l will canvass while he drives the van. Then he can learn from first cleans upwards, this way he learns how to get really dirty windows clean and after that maintenance should be easier.

l don't expect to find the right person right away.

there is a non for profit organization that does payroll for £5 per month if my accountant wants more than that.

Which type of contract do you have your part timer on?

Cheers

G Griffin

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 08:42:42 am »
It's the law.

l spoke with a business advisor yesterday, l believe if they are not earning more than £113 per week l don't need to apply pensions.

l do still need to apply holidays and liability insurance though.

there are various ways l can employ these part timers though with different rules.
Fair enough.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

paul alan

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:31 am »
I'm going this route also.

Took a lad out for a few hours this week. Not going to be as easy as I thought...wfp seems so easy to us but to someone who has no clue it's surprising how much there is to show and explain.
Good point Adam!

hows it going so far?

Paul Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 08:53:15 am »
If you cant train then with the pole in a day there is something wrong with them. I always do the first cleans as that is were the aggro is but maintenance cleans should be easy.

When they go on there own give just them the easy jobs for the first week to bed em in :)

paul alan

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 09:01:59 am »
If you cant train then with the pole in a day there is something wrong with them. I always do the first cleans as that is were the aggro is but maintenance cleans should be easy.

When they go on there own give just them the easy jobs for the first week to bed em in :)

Them or me..haha!

What type of person do you look for in doing this?

What contract do you use? l hear there is a government scheme that will help subsidize the wages if you employ them for 30hr.

l don't plan on 30hr to begin with but lm still not sure the best way to take them on.

cheers

paul alan

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 09:06:14 am »
At first l thought of looking for someone a bit like me, mortgage 2 kids needs the work! strong and healthy, confident.

But now I'm considering part time i suppose the goal posts will move, someone will need more than part-time hours if they have a mortgage.

Dry Clean

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 09:38:08 am »
There's no easy or lazy way to employ, full time work decent wages and so on will attract an employee who will want to stay part
of your team, part time low paid work will attract guys looking to get a bit of free training with the intention of moving on or
numskulls who cant get anything else and have no real interest in holding down a job.
Step one, put together a business plan which will include all start up and running costs until your employee is in the black.
Step two, employ a decent person full time with a decent wage, this will cost you short term.
Step three, get out there and fill your employees work sheet as quick as possible to reduce the pain of step two.

Most fail when it comes to employing because they want the employees to take all the pain while they build their empires,
like I said good decent employable people/keepers aren't stupid enough to be used like that.

paul alan

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 09:50:28 am »
good advice

having lived on the other side of the fence for many a year l have already considered these points.

I plan to give someone a better life with plenty of benefits.

My intention is to give someone a future with semi- flexible hours, great pay and even the possibility of owning their own business one day (franchise is something to consider).

I don't plan to just milk them dry.

Og

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 11:31:03 am »
Gotta dangle a carrot if you want anything permanent from them.

paul alan

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 01:02:30 pm »
I get this concept.

Any pointers please og?

Og

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 05:02:40 pm »
Don't ask me, I'm making it up as I'm going along!
I'll tell you if he quits!

Slacky

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:52 pm »
I get this concept.

Any pointers please og?

Treat them well. Respect. Show them you're grateful for their efforts. Reward them fairly. Be disciplined. Show them, don't tell them. Say thankyou. Be flexible.