woodman

Beware of these e-mails
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:13:24 pm »
To date I have received 25 >:( e-mails from various African locations usually Nigeria, informing me that I have been chosen ::) to help them disperse of excess funds they have in bank accounts around the world.

All I have to do is give them, my bank account details ::) and they will transfer the money in (up to 5 million pounds) and they will take a commision.

I have even had one from someone pretending to be Imelda Marcos ;D (you know she of all the shoes fame) asking for help in disposing off all the money she has hidden that belonged to her husband.

Now, I know that no one on here is stupid enough to fall for any of these scams but please inform others that they are doing the rounds and to be very careful and to NEVER give their bank account details to anyone over the net requesting them in this manner unless they very quickly want to be cleaned out of all funds by these con men and women.

paulchambers

Re: Beware of these e-mails
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 05:05:39 pm »
I have just had one from Ghana.    Paul

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 05:23:49 pm »
You mean the money is NOT going to arrive soon  :o

John_Flynn

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 05:32:23 pm »
I have sent my details, I thought that it was a personal letter to me!!. That is what it said.

Do you think I have been Duped??
I get better looking each day!!

woodman

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 06:12:14 pm »
I know that Chris is joking

I certainly hope you are John :(

paulchambers

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 06:13:55 pm »
Mine said he's was a barclay bank manager who stole 25 million without anyone knowing    ::)  and wanted to give me 20%     Paul

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 07:17:33 pm »
My wife thought we were passing up the chance of a fortune when I told her not tp reply to the one concerning a relative who had died.

John_Flynn

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 07:33:04 pm »
Hi Woodman

As I have said before "I only get up on a morning to see if my luck has changed"!!  The day I received my personal emailI believed it had. :o :o :o

You saying I shouldn't have sent the details ??? ??? ???

Len Gribble

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 07:53:43 pm »
John

From experience, shall we say this part of the world is notorious for fraudulent activities!

Giving ones bank details even my wife is not privilege to that!  ;D ;D

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

John_Flynn

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 07:58:35 pm »
What you trying to say Len, I done the wrong thing??

Derek

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 08:06:19 pm »
Guys

Speaking to a friend last night who informed me that her husband had received a request from the HSBC bank for details of his accounts. The request appeared to be genuine , on headed paper, logos etc.

He foolishly did as they requested and they cleaned out two of his accounts all but a few quid to keep them open and not to set alarm bells jangling

Derek

John_Flynn

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 08:44:32 pm »
Thanks for that Derek, I'll check the Swiss acc's in the morning.

Bob Allen

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 08:52:57 pm »
I have been receiving alot of e-mails saying "mail delivery failure" from people i dont even know.
Outlook Express is removing attachment saying it is unsafe has anyone any idea what this could be,
ive never heard of these people or sent them e-mails???????
Bob Allen

Len Gribble

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 08:55:35 pm »
John

I don’t know your circumstance in giving this type of data out, and yes I have passed my cards details (this is not bank details) over the phone but then I phoned them, but only those whom I do business with!

Derek point is noted but then if Natwest who I bank with ask me for details bells would ring.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shorty

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 09:13:36 pm »
How appropriate this post is here when I got up today.

First thing I do, is check my emails.

Only one this morning, from a friend representing Mrs Hilda Hogawatha, or something like that, I got no further.

I "bounced" the message.

I have a program called mailwasher.

This lets e peruse what emails I have, while they are still sitting on the server, this is before downloading to my pc.

I can accept, bounce, or blacklist any emails that I do not want coming onto my pc.

It even alerts me to possible spam mail.

If I decide to bounce an email, that message goes back to the sender, telling them that my email address is non-existant.

If I blacklist, those messages are deleted immediately they come on the system.

They have a free trial, and it is brilliant.

Full program is also very cheap.

http://www.mailwasher.net/main.php

Try it, I'm sure you will like it.

Cheers,

Shorty.

Shorty.

The short, round, mound of sound, from up top, down under.

John_Flynn

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 09:35:17 pm »
Just winding you up Lenny!!

What Bank Details???

Len Gribble

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2004, 09:50:19 pm »
John

Noted but there are some out there who will give this info to all and sundry, I hope these threads are read and noted.

Understand some Beatles film has just been uncovered was on the news.

Len

woodman

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 08:52:20 am »
 >:( >:(

another one today,

I use blocked messenger to remove and make sure they can not send another from the same source them but their must hundreds if not thousands out there.

If you receive one and are unsure go to file, then properties,then to details and then message source this will give you the info with out opening it.You can then close it and  block messenger with out opening, this will also remove it.

Does anyone know how I can prevent these arriving at all

Dynafoam

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 09:57:13 am »
Trevor,

The programme recommended by the loud round mound, Mailwasher is what you need. It can be configured to either automatically delete  filtered-out mail, or let you see it without downloading.

It would be good, it was written by Nick BOLTON  ;D

Bob,

You either have a 'worm' on your computer that is sending these Emails, or someone has hijacked your address an is using it in a forged header.

Shorty

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 12:29:25 pm »
There you go!!!!!!!!

I never knew it was a BOLTON!!!!!!!

I always thought it was a log on.

Now I realise it is a SCREW UP!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Honestly though, it really is, a good, free program.

Cheers,

(absent) Shorty.
Shorty.

The short, round, mound of sound, from up top, down under.