HolmansUKLTD

Fibreglass shavings
« on: May 09, 2004, 04:09:02 pm »
Just had a call from a nightclub, a workman has cut some clear fibreglass/perspex for around the DJ box and the shavings/filings are all over the black carpet ::)

They have tried to vaccumme them out but with no luck

I have done insurance claims before with shattered glass and its very hard to remove it all.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?
can the shavings be removed?

any help will do

Regards

Nick
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

DaveR

Re: Fibreglass shavings
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 04:13:51 pm »
Remember the nightclub may have tried to vacuum it with a henry with a full bag! My thoughts would be initially a pile lifter if you have one.
Best Regards
Dave

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 05:27:03 pm »
I would also advise that you protect yourself by stating, in writing, that total success cannot be guaranteed as some shavings may not be visible. Obtain a signiture that this is acknowledged and accepted. I can see the picture now. A young miss is walking barefoot 'cos her new shoes are "killing" her, when.......

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 06:05:40 pm »
Nick,

Its unlikely to be clear fibreglass because the glass fibres would mean it wasnt that clear!

Almost certainly either Perspex(acrylic) or more likely polycarbonate as this is tougher(H&S)

I agree with earlier posts that they just hav'ent really vacuumed properly and it may be neccessary to brush up the debris first.

Neither polycarbonate nor Perspex will actually stick to the carpet but there may be a static bond which is easily broken.

Happy vaccing,

Doug

p.s Glass fibres are unlike glass  shreds and are more likely to irritate than cut so no worries there.

Dynafoam

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 07:25:12 pm »
Nick,

I totaly agree with Doug.

To be on the safe side, after best attempts at dry removal, I would pre-treat the carpet with a misting of a cationic surfactant such as  Prochem A217 Ultrapac Renovate to neutralise static bond.

Aggitation with a contra-rotating machine such as the Host will lift some resudue, then an extraction rinse, preferably with a power wand should get as close to total removal as practically posible.

John.