Chris R

V2 Steam - NOT on upholstery?
« on: May 04, 2004, 11:36:28 pm »
I have just purchased a new ashbys V2 SteamMate and was surprised to be told not to use it on upholstery (by Martin). Just wondered what setting (heat) everyone uses it at on different upholstery and carpets?
Chris
Staffordshire

Dave Parry

Re: V2 Steam - NOT on upholstery?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 11:43:34 pm »
The only time I would use my steammate on upholstery would be when only cold water available. Then I would use it at 75 - 80C .
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Dynafoam

Re: V2 Steam - NOT on upholstery?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 01:11:08 am »
Chis,

The problem with the Steamate on hea-sensitive upholstery is that  the heat sensor is located just after the heat exchanger.

When the flow through the unit is fairly constant his is not a problem.

With upholstery cleaning however, the flow tends to be intermittant, as we swap between pre-spraying etc. and extraction. When flow through the unit stops, regardless of whether the thermostatic control is suppling power to the heat element, the core has stored heat which is transfered to the water within the core. Resultantly, when flow re-commences, the water can be much hotter than the thermostat setting.

This can be overcome by having the Steamate close-coupled to the tool and by purging the over-hot water into a bucket before re-commensing the clean. Because of the time wasteage entailed, I prefer to use a Heatermate on these jobs.

John.