Derek

Re: CURTAIN CLEANING
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 10:08:34 am »
Shaun

I have been asked this question on several occasions but I have deliberately avoided taking it up.

My reasons are that to suggest to some people that steam can be used successfully will tempt them to go out and buy a steam generator and blast away...
doesn't work...
tried it! ;D

When I first had my unit I merrily put stains onto carpet/fabric samples left them for a few days to set and then hit 'em big time.... had a lot of ruined samples and suddenly thought that I had wasted my money foolishly.

It took time to develop techniques and steam certainly can be a benefit to the carpet/upholstery cleaner.
It defrosts the freezer pretty quickly too

I now use it to clean curtains, certain stain removal jobs, relaxing carpet creases following fitting of new carpet.... just some of the things...Oh! and defrost the freezer ;)

As a one-time instructor I have to carry insurance so that in the event that someone fouls up after following my advice... I am insured. This could also apply to carpet cleaners in general...after all we all give advice, over the bulletin boards, to customers etc.

Cheers
Derek

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 12:01:06 pm »
Perhaps a signes waver so no come backs.

How are we supposed to learn how to clean curtains with steam Grasshopper.

Shaun

Derek

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2004, 09:39:16 pm »
Hey Shaun

I know what you are saying...
mind you I can't see much what I am doing as my glasses steam up something rotten... plus I have only one eye that's any good anyway

Talk about the blind leading the blind

Cheers
Derek

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2004, 10:40:42 pm »
How do you go on with the neighbours when they see a smartly dress gentleman with a sqint/glint in one eye and the windows all steamed up?

Shaun

mark_roberts

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2004, 02:09:23 am »
As most curtains are just dusty you can get very good results by a good vacuum and then pad clean with OMS or solutions.

Although there will always be dust attached if you shake them after cleaning.  Smoke, stains, dog grease etc will not come off with this method.

Remember not everything needs HWE!

thanks
Mark

PS. advise customer this is a maintenance clean only

Derek

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2004, 10:00:59 am »
Shaun

The neighbours are unsure whether I am winking at them or practicing my entrance for the 'Star in your eyes' programme.

"Tonight Matthew I am going to be............ 8)

Cheers
Derek

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2004, 01:01:41 am »
Just discovered a dry cleaning machine in my back street laundrette.

Fogot about these as my bedsit days were long long ago and Ive now lost my hair

But would it clean curtains good enough for me to offer a clean and rehang service.

What else would I need to do

Do curtains need ironing after this type of cleaning

Derek

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2004, 09:04:22 am »
Ian

I am sorry to put a damper on your new enthusiasm but dry cleaning machines in Laundrettes (and in dry clean plants) usually contain a charge of a water based solution.  
The dry cleaners also know that dry cleaning solutions don't clean too well.

Once water is introduced they are prone to the same problems we are..shrinkage, water sensitive fabrics, etc.

If you do use a dry cleaning outlet please make sure you 'both' know quite clearly just whose liability is at stake in the event of something going wrong.

One or two cleaning Companies have gone down the route of buying a dry cleaning plant to extend their business... now if you intend to do that then come back to me and I will put you in touch with a helpful organisation

Cheers
Derek

Doug Holloway

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2004, 11:15:43 am »
Hi,

I gave up cleaning curtains about 20 years ago.

We bought a dry cleaning machine from Lloyd Owens at Ashcombe for £600,iit was a complete waste of money and ended up at the dump in Edmonton. :(

I then subcontracted the cleaning but not the taking down /rehanging to CCS in Ilford ,I think but it was still a PITA.

Now and again I will HWE curtains but only with very sensible customers and then only if I'm sure there are not going to be problems.

I turned down some cotton velvets yesterday!

Cheers  ,

Doug

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2004, 03:29:28 pm »
Derek,

What would I do without you!!  I will just forget the Idea and pass on any work to my mate  who has a dry cleaners/ Which is what I have been doing.

I was driving through town late and the idea came into my head. Not one of the best.

Dynafoam

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2004, 07:59:24 pm »
Ian,

Late-night ideas have a habit of haunting you later  ;) ;)

John.

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2004, 08:32:29 pm »
I have a laday who took her curtains to a dry cleaner and they shrunk . She wants to know if she took them there again will they continue to shrink?

Or if i wet clean them will they shrink more?>?

Regards

Nick
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

woodman

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2004, 09:01:47 pm »
Probably  &  Yes ;)

In the dry cleaning business it's accepted as standard that curtains can shrink by up to about 5%.

I think if you look at the Terms & Conditions of all dry cleaners you will see that in there.

Where as I can guarantee NO shrinkage. :)

Trevor

Dynafoam

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2004, 09:04:56 pm »
Hi Nick (just for Nick),

The shrinkage at the dry cleaners likely occured within the tumble drier (heat shrinkage)

As to whether they would shrink again at the cleaners - they could shrink more, dependant on the degree of over-heating they suffered last time.

Whether they would shrink as a result of wet cleaning is a question best answered by testing.

I have wet cleaned curtains previously heat-shrunk and restored them to their orriginal length (weave relaxation). What I have not done is to shrink curtains either by wet or dry cleaning.

John.

woodman

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2004, 09:09:34 pm »
Weave relaxation,

Is that what their calling it now

Used to be tie 'em down with weights and hope for the best as they dry ;D

Dynafoam

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2004, 09:19:52 pm »
Trevor,

Proceedure is to lay customers' kids side-by-side, evenly spaced, heads towards the wall, and to clamp curtains into their teeth.  ;D

This not only anchors curtains, but stops the incessant "What is that thing for mister?" questions.  :D

John.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2004, 01:08:02 am »
My daughter hasn't got all of her teeth yet would she be redundant? upside is thet she could clean the bottoms of the curtains where they drag on the floor with her dribble !

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2004, 01:39:16 am »
Shaun

Sorry to say your daughter would be no good in this field try her on rugs first dribbles and all.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2004, 01:52:44 am »
Done that 'sticky fingers' defeated the object, I'm sure John Flynn would say 'tek er dan pit'

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2004, 02:07:09 am »
Shaun

You think you have problems now cleaning is cheap by comparison wait till a teen but never forget to give a cuddle a kiss and tell her that you love her!

I can see it now Shaun & Daughter Company

Len

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)