John_Flynn

Re: prices
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2004, 08:56:52 pm »
I think the guy who the Huddersfield man works for charges £49.00 for a suite any any 2 carpets!!

I have got a job in the area that he covers tomorrow and I'm charging £235.00.

No problem do what Shaun says get out there and talk!!
I get better looking each day!!

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2004, 09:06:18 pm »
Hi Jason

To succeed, you need the technical ability and the tools to perform. So you need to perfrom to a higher standard than with your current employer. Formal training is vital for this. You need to project your professionalism. Well mannered, well presented and on time, telephone calls must be dealt with in a businesslike manner (no music in the background, children shouting etc. etc). Your marketing must be well packaged, and the advice given by Shaun and others on Clean It Up is very worthwhile reading. Finally, your prices must be realistic and reflect the costs of being in and running a business. Working for yourself, you should reasonably expect to achieve in excess of the typical UK average industrial wage which is in excess of  £20kpa, plus a typical minimum overheads, without advertising, of > £10k. Plus profit for re-investment and expansion.

You will not be competing on price. No matter how low your prices, someone will always be cheaper. At the prices you illustrated above, you'd probably scrape a reasonable living together, but you're unlikely to runa healthy, profitable business. Certainly not as a one man band.

Safe and happy cleaning:)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

woodman

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2004, 09:15:53 pm »
Hi Jason

Firstly don't compete with current employer, why on earth would you want to.You are leaving to better yourself not get into a low price bidding war in an area that will only support low pricing.Get out of that area.

Which areas around you are more affluent compared to where you are working now?

Target these starting at a higher price, going by what your current employer charges I would suggest you  raise that by over 3 x the amount and offer it as a 20% discount  so you are charging £150 less 20% = £120.00
The hardest thing in the world is to start off low and then try to charge much higher prices at a later stage.This way you can revert your charges to £150.00 after your 'offer' ends and you are  more established in your NEW area.

Differentiate your self from your low price,low service employer by offering the very best you can in terms of the service provided and the time spent on each job, the quality of the product used and the knowledge you bring to the job.

You will have to advertise so once you know your target customers pick the right magazines and papers to advertise in as well as leaflet dropping using a good quality ad'.

As a famous man once said 'you can wink at a pretty girl in the dark room but unless you turn the light on only you will know you are doing it' ::)

This subject could go on and on suffice to say that it would seem you have woken from your low priced slumber and want to progress. You ain't going to where you are now,  are you!

Good Luck

Trevor

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2004, 11:11:17 pm »
Thankyou gentlemen, its nice to know that there are like minded professionals out there, unlike the cowboys I have become used to, to date.

Thanks again

Jason

DaveR

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2004, 05:55:44 pm »
Now I'm really confused! Jason,are you not the carpet cleaner advertising in the weekly news 1 carpet £15 Suite(upholstery and leather)£30? Your advert first appeared 5 weeks ago originally with NCCA and PROCLEAN logos neither of which you are a member of?
You are advertising for a Prochem machine yet your advert talks about the latest in cleaning technology and on site drying system,everything left dry?! Is this a case of mistaken identity or is there something you need to tell us?

Dave ???

Derek

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2004, 08:27:16 pm »
Hi Dave

I seriously hope that the scenario you describe is not the case... I refer to your comments about Jason allegedly advertising membership of organisations he doesn't belong to.

If so, it tells me a lot about the person straight away.

I also know that both organisations mentioned would be talking to the local Trading Standards pretty quickly

Derek

DaveR

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2004, 10:04:48 pm »
Hi Derek,
That particular scenario has been dealt with and the logos now removed, you may remember a thread on another forum entitled r**** trader, Yes that's the one!

Best regards
Dave

Derek

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2004, 10:46:53 pm »
Thanks Dave

HolmansUKLTD

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2004, 01:10:24 am »
The plot thickens :o
Surreys No1 Carpet & Upholstery cleaner
Surreys No1 Dart player
IICRC water restoration Technician

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2004, 01:43:11 am »
Lets not knock him, it's now been corrected and it looks as though he's come to this forum for help and I know everyone will.

Shaun

Ps I don't know him and have never met him

mark_roberts

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2004, 01:49:49 am »
I think we should knock him as hes dragging the rest of us down especially in the customers eyes.

To advertise the NCCA and Proclean logos without being a member is totally dishonest and he is taking advantage of the rest of us.

In my opinion.

thanks
Mark

Derek

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2004, 10:17:26 am »
Mark

You are correct, it is dishonest/enethical but a lot of people try it on.  Hopefully new people reading this will not go down this route.

If ever they foul up bigtime, and it does happen... frequently, it gives their agrieved clients more ammunition against them.
The first people a disgruntled customer will call is the organisation whose logo is being used so that they can complain about the 'member'.
They are initially quite upset to find that the company's membership is denied and it is suggested that they contact Trading Standards.

You can now add misrepresentation to the crime!

Its not worth it!

Derek

DaveR

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2004, 01:15:09 am »
Jason,
You've gone very quiet. If you want to get the best out of this forum, indeed if you want to get anything out of it you will have to be honest and upfront with everyone.yes we all know some of us exaggerate from time to time but we know that and we have great relationships built on trust and truthfulness.
If you're serious about building your business the same applies; Trevor and others have given you great advice but remember the market he's pointing to you is my market and the clients my type of clients so to get them you have to be as professional as me in terms of vans, equipment, training and everything else. If you're not at that stage yet don't try and fool people  that you are.In the case of your advert don't say you're a "national company operating since 1987" if you started a month ago - but you could say you had three years experience, see what I mean? If you don't have an "on site drying system so everything left dry " don't claim you have or you'll come a cropper.If you do share it with us and tell us how you can do it and stiil only charge £15 for a carpet and £30 for a suite!! we all need to know and that's how the forum works!

Best regards

Dave

Philip

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2004, 11:46:17 pm »
Hi Dave

Sorry for the late reply but have been very busy.

In reply to your many questions, I answer as follows.

Yes I am the alleged rogue.

Naively I believed that joining the associations concerned was just a case of completing a direct debit mandate, and it would just be a matter of days (silly me).

On realising that this was not the case the logos were withdrawn, as highlighted by Mr Ashmore (my apologies to those of you that are members of these associations and for belittleing the effort it takes to become a member).

I am not a rogue and believe that the quality of my work is of a good standard and my presentation excellent. Many customers have asked if I am a franchise such is my presentation. I wish to continue to improve in all areas and thus the reason in joining this forum.

Regarding the question of kit, i have 2 Prochem steampro 2000's, and was seeking a back up in the advert you highlighted. I 2 have turbo dryers (onsite drying system), and insurance of £5m.

The national company bit was a response to something Sampsons put in his ad, but having read your comments this has been removed from my ad. (Whose to say I dont listen to my better and elders).

How can I afford my prices....I cant, thus my initial enquiry about pricing.

I think we are there now. My apologies once again.

Jason

Len Gribble

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2004, 01:37:54 am »
Philip or Jason or what ever your real name is you are just on a wind up just looks at your posts under Philip and sadly I replied too.  I can understand banter between true pro’s as far as I’m concerned you are more then a rogue if you mislead us what are you doing to your customers? Don’t bother replying.

This ones for Mike and Derek I know you do this on voluntary basis, but why do you let these people duplicate there id’s? As far as I can see at times jokers rule on this forum with exception to a few! I suggest you use the forum name cleanitup and cleanup, but Len I hear what you are saying but I’m not listening: an old proverb! Oh by the way on another forum a gentleman man if you could call him that who threw his teddy out the pram because he couldn’t get a passkey. Sorry if this offends but?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Derek

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2004, 11:28:57 am »
Hi

I applaud Jason for 'coming clean' (excuse the pun).. He says he participated on this forum to learn...he has  ...albeit a rather harsh way.

I believe Jason will read what other professionals are doing, raise his game to the benefit of himself and the profession as a whole.

He may even join the Associations in the correct way and if he fulfils all their criteria he would be made welcome.

Len

I, personally, cannot see if any duplications occur but this may well be picked up by Mike (in the engine room) and I know that he does deal with them as and when they take place.

Regards
Derek  

Len Gribble

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2004, 11:05:47 pm »
Derek

I agree in principal what you have to say about Jason, but why did he do it? Because he and others can!

Thanks for the feedback; I totally agree one needs to raise the game and profession.

I do hope Mike weeds out the rouges.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

DaveR

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2004, 07:58:27 pm »
Len, you've got it all wrong mate, no wonder your other post says you get confused with names, it's really quite simple:
This is Jason, who thinks he's called Phillip who's profile says London but he's really in Huddersfield.He's new to the business and would really appreciate your help even though he's been doing it 3 years and would like some advice on his first machine purchase although he owns 2 steempros.Now what could be simpler and more straightforward than that? Honestly Len It's at times like this I think you're losing it! Get a grip for goodness sake!

Best Regards

Dave who thinks he's called Derek

DaveR

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2004, 07:59:44 pm »
or was it Ken......Anybody know the way to La La land?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2004, 01:06:42 am »
Feeling completley depressed today/

Did some price shopping with regular advertisers in my local paper.

Not Advertising cut price image.

19x 12 room £25

They have
Been advertising at least 15 years

Phoned another £30 plus £15 protection

Now I know why I do not advertise in local papers.