ftp

Re: Guys im in need of support here...
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 04:07:38 pm »
Not really the best time to pick up work either. The weather is dreadful and most customers will be skint and not get paid 'till the end of the month. You have no choice really except grin and bear it untill the spring. Work will pick up but it could take another year to have a full round. Very few areas have an unlimited supply of customers. It takes time.

scud

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 04:09:03 pm »
  On top of cleaning in the bad weather, I have also put every single one of my prices up, not one complaint, even had a note with a cheque today saying they are more than happy to pay the extra as they consider my service excellent value!!!

macmac

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 04:21:08 pm »
I've done my first work today since 1 week before xmas!! I managed 3 hours!! The main roads are clear, the biggest problem is the amount of shovelled/ploughed snow around customers drives, streets, paths etc. Some parts of propertys is still 2ft deep in snow.

I can't even attemp wfp, I've started trad with an estate of bungalows. I only stopped because my "waterproof" boots are infact anything but ::) Coudn't have got my feet any wetter standing in a pond. So, will go back tomorrow armed with a pair of wellys ;)

The old "black magic" of trad comes into it's own sometimes.

The way you're feeling JRD comes to us all mate, it's part of being in a weather dependant, manual job. Most, if not all w/c'ers I know from time to time suffer from motivation, especially in winter.

gr cleaning solutions

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 04:24:47 pm »
i was feeling the same last Tues we have had snow since mid December and by last Tues i was really fed up.So i set myself  target to get off ten new customers 5 commercial and 5 domestic and i had got them by the Friday. in between Ive been round loads off shop and pubs really been getting my name around Ive only just manged to back out yesterday but Ive only do my commercial work im starting my domestic work tomorrow, i was getting a bit worried about losing work but hopefully customers understand.

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31:27 pm »
All of my work is 2 story apart from my shop that i do trad once a fortnight and 2 bungalows which will be done tomorrow when i go out, i also found that the arms are killed when you havent dont pole work for a few weeks too, any of the rest of you like this?
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'

ccmids

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 04:37:15 pm »
do you think your in the wrong job

MNWC

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 04:38:07 pm »
Welcome to the world of window cleaning  ;D

It does really sort the men out from the boys.

Its Bl00dy hard work

Just get out and get on with it.

Sorry to seem so hard but im a firm believer in getting on with things

Wickerman

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 04:38:27 pm »
It could be worse!!
Your skin's waterproof so get out there and work!!

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 04:39:39 pm »
no actually i dont, i like my job when its good but with other things going on im feeling down, must be the january blues but im slowly getting back to where i was pre xmas holidays, think its something about being raring to go last week then not getting to and getting used to not being out.  
JRD Easi Reach

macmac

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 04:40:21 pm »
All of my work is 2 story apart from my shop that i do trad once a fortnight and 2 bungalows which will be done tomorrow when i go out, i also found that the arms are killed when you havent dont pole work for a few weeks too, any of the rest of you like this?

Believe this or not- I personally find trad physically easier than wfp, & I use carbon poles too!! I only have a 3.5m double ladder so I'm not talking really high stuff here, just general, run of the mill stuff.

I hate the constant fannying about with wfp, bending, un-snagging, extending, collapsing, bending again, un-snagging again, pulling out, reeling in, bending again, un-snagging again etc.etc.etc. :o

Sometimes it's just so much easier, quicker & a lot less hassle to do it trad!

Got tennis elbow for 12 months caused by wfp too. not good!

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 04:40:33 pm »

totally unhelpful post

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 04:50:30 pm »
To the helpful posts thank you very much, my outlook has changed again, sometimes it helps to talk with like minds to assist as sometimes others who arent in the same situ dont understand but to the rest of you who were unhelpful well..................
JRD Easi Reach

Ross G

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 05:07:32 pm »

I'm back at work depressed with a stinking cold, first day back i sprung a leak in one of my hoses

but hey it's my job it's what i do , it's getting lighter at nights, i'm earning money again and i've never had a boss for 25 years.

Try staying off the forum for awhile and getting on with it and when you've slipped back into that good old groove get back on and tell us all how the good times are back and how the money's rolling in again.
Window Cleaning, it's the solution to all our problems.

:) :) :) :) :)

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »
we all get de motivated but esp now with this extreme weather.

Exactly!

JRDE is the real problem not the weather, but the lack of funds?  

Its tough I know (we know) when you're new to window cleaning, its tough work, you're skint, worried about losing customers, and you can't get out to work because of the weather.  It can be demoralising, but that does really sort the wheat from the chaff.

And don't worry about losing customers.  If they're due, clean them; end of story; just do it as long as its not 'mental' weather conditions.  If you lose the odd one (which is unlikely), you will replace them.  As the years tick past, you'll end up with a real hardcore of dependable customers.

And make sure you have an emergency fund to cover at least one months worth of lost income; or at the very least access to credit to cover for a months living expenses.  And this is the very least.  Don't even think about taking a sneaky day off when you've got work due cleaning if you haven't got an emergency fund behind you.

And when I'm really de-motivated, I just go out with an attitude that I'll spend the day 'mincing about'; you know I'll plod on, listen to my MP3, drink coffee, chat to customers; hell I may even clean the odd window, and once I get going I'm fine.  I think the thought of working is far worse than the actual working if you know what I mean.  Have a read of the book in my sig (The Power of Now), it's very good and will explain to you why you're feeling a bit on the demoralised side.  You're no doubt living in the future and thinking of all sorts of bad possibilities; stuff that will just not happen 99.9% of the time.

Oh, and set everything up the night before - that's important - so you have very little to do in the morning; giving you less time to procrastinate; and it gets your backside out the door early.

Personally, I think we've all learnt something from this years Winter.

Its not the fact of the money m8 at least not yet its just the fear of losing customers especially the newer ones plus i have so called friends who have got me to clean and then wont divulge if they want a repeat clean, i dont like to keep on to them but its annoying too, im going through a rough patch too with other things that dont help much either, add to that this 1c temp with wind that feels like -10 and rain on top and its rotten, even worse than working that day last week in the -2 alot worse.  I'll get myself into gear tomorrow again, i have to, although i think part of the problem deep down is the fact i have got nothing new recently and the fear of NOT getting is making me down too.  Thanks for your replies lads, its helped me no end so far, thanks.

Try not to be so reliant on "friends' jobs".  IME they are notoriously unreliable.  I have about 3 or 4 of these and I won't build them in to my regular cleaning.  I just say to let me know when they want them doing and I will do them when I can after being notified.  That way, although I include the money in my business income, I don't think of it as part of the business as such.  I also charge a bit more because such cleans are, by their nature, infrequent.  There are a couple I do FOC as well and I'm happy to do that maybe a couple of times per year.
I don't mind the time off.  I do mind the lack of income though.  I already had a problem looming at the end of the month due to the tax bill.  This problem will be more severe than I anticipated due to the weather.  I'm bumping along the bottom financially.  I have a reasonable income for a sole trader and most of it goes on servicing debt due to mistakes I made in my non business life and due to a major  illness that I had (now cured).  I have a reasonable income but live the life of a tightwad.  I don't like it but that's how it has to be for a few years.
Hey.  Nothing terrible happened during the time I typed that post.  Today is the tomorrow I worried about yesterday - and all that stuff.
So I may end up bankrupt and homeless.  I may not.  If push comes to shove I will have to apportion the non secured debts.  I  don't intend to.  Instead I intend to increase my income still further come the thaw.
I have plenty to be grateful for.
I also have enough time and knowledge under my belt to know that no problem ever got solved by taking booze or dope.
I may even have to take a lodger.  I hate the idea as I'm on my own in a 2 bed flat (1 bed and 1 office/bedroom) and I'm used to having my space.
Shopping has become a very illuminating experience.  The daft thing is that in my quest to reduce my food bill to the bone, I actually eat far more healthily than I ever have done.  I'm astonished how little my food bill can be if I shop cannily.  I go to the supermarket around 7.30/8.00, get a few bits, then start hoovering up the bargains like a locust with the munchies.  Bread for 20p a loaf maybe.  Stuff em in the freezer.  Fresh veg that's on its last selling day.  Buy as much as is reasonable, boil it up, and freeze in in meal size portions.  Microwave as needed.  I've got enough porridge and pasta to last me till ermmmmm ages.
When things get better for me, I don't think I would ever be able to go back to the way I once was with money.  This is a learning curve for me and I am absorbing the lessons.
This snow would be the final nail for me before re-apportioning debts but I do have access to some more credit and I can pull myself out without alarming any creditors if I continue running a very tight ship and get my income up some more.
So I am well motivated.  The thought of shiny new vans and big houses do not motivate me.  Disaster aversion does.

dazmond

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 05:16:25 pm »
yes lets all leave this forum alone for a week and we might get some work done! ;D ;D.ive been ill but im ready to get back to it now! ;D ;D

i just thank my lucky stars ive not got wfp.it really does sound like too much expense and hassle esp in cold weather!

best wishes to all of you lads

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

wfp master

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 05:17:02 pm »
we all get de motivated but esp now with this extreme weather.

Exactly!

JRDE is the real problem not the weather, but the lack of funds?  

Its tough I know (we know) when you're new to window cleaning, its tough work, you're skint, worried about losing customers, and you can't get out to work because of the weather.  It can be demoralising, but that does really sort the wheat from the chaff.

And don't worry about losing customers.  If they're due, clean them; end of story; just do it as long as its not 'mental' weather conditions.  If you lose the odd one (which is unlikely), you will replace them.  As the years tick past, you'll end up with a real hardcore of dependable customers.

And make sure you have an emergency fund to cover at least one months worth of lost income; or at the very least access to credit to cover for a months living expenses.  And this is the very least.  Don't even think about taking a sneaky day off when you've got work due cleaning if you haven't got an emergency fund behind you.

And when I'm really de-motivated, I just go out with an attitude that I'll spend the day 'mincing about'; you know I'll plod on, listen to my MP3, drink coffee, chat to customers; hell I may even clean the odd window, and once I get going I'm fine.  I think the thought of working is far worse than the actual working if you know what I mean.  Have a read of the book in my sig (The Power of Now), it's very good and will explain to you why you're feeling a bit on the demoralised side.  You're no doubt living in the future and thinking of all sorts of bad possibilities; stuff that will just not happen 99.9% of the time.

Oh, and set everything up the night before - that's important - so you have very little to do in the morning; giving you less time to procrastinate; and it gets your backside out the door early.

Personally, I think we've all learnt something from this years Winter.

Its not the fact of the money m8 at least not yet its just the fear of losing customers especially the newer ones plus i have so called friends who have got me to clean and then wont divulge if they want a repeat clean, i dont like to keep on to them but its annoying too, im going through a rough patch too with other things that dont help much either, add to that this 1c temp with wind that feels like -10 and rain on top and its rotten, even worse than working that day last week in the -2 alot worse.  I'll get myself into gear tomorrow again, i have to, although i think part of the problem deep down is the fact i have got nothing new recently and the fear of NOT getting is making me down too.  Thanks for your replies lads, its helped me no end so far, thanks.
i think its got to do with you still having cash if you were skint youd soon be out working . its not all about working in good weather ......

prestige cleaners

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »
we're all feeling the same as you mate, me and my wife (we work together) find it hard to leave a nice toasty house, got out today managed 7 in four hours, nearly went home after the 1st one, (snow on a hill, couldnt get up it!) my customer saw me struggling and told me to reverse up! worked a treat! must be the weight of the tank over the wheels?

yeah we stayed in yesterday although it was dry, we had 30mph winds, which would most probably make the windows just as bad after we left. its funny how custies dont mind you doing windows in wind, which has a worse effect than rain?

if its your 1st year it must be a shock for you, its my 3rd winter so im well established, but i can understand how you must be feeling!

just found a good tip to keep your pipes from freezing on the ground, rest them on walls/bushes to keep them off snow, (try and put a trip hazard sign out too) and put the tap in that pipe insulation you get for the loft to keep it off the snow.

anyway keep your chin up, i think the thaw is on its way, just hope we dont high winds and rain instead  ;)

david watts

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 05:20:23 pm »
its a marathone not a sprint;
so be motivated but dont go all out pick the work to suit the weather if you can;
my top tip for winter is get them thin surgical gloves put them under a thin set of
rubber gloves much cheaper than them unger ones.
does anyone know where to buy them russian hats with the ear flaps?

living the dream  ;)
life is like a box of chocolates you get the crap no one else wants

ccmids

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 05:54:50 pm »

totally unhelpful post
how is that unhelpful , the guys had enough ,what have you added that might help him , no point mommying the bloke when the winters here it does get hard, no easy way round it we are all in the same boat.

martinsadie

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 06:12:21 pm »
hes right,stepson used to work with me when it got too cold or hot  you noticed his head go down then he was useless ,window cleaning wasnt for him,a large part of last year he had no job ,but niether of us mentioned him cleaning windows although there was work for him