AuRavelling79

Re: slx poles
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 01:38:56 pm »
Because it will make you more money than a harris pole or fibre glass pole.

posts like that ewan and just a little far fetched

i would say the lighter pole will make you more money, as you will be able to work faster and less fatigue

Absolutely right Matt! And for general domestic light commercial use - easily adjusted telescopic and light.
It's a game of three halves!

jouk45

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »
Because it will make you more money than a harris pole or fibre glass pole.
ewan, i only use the harris for domestic, and it is a fantastic pole, i earn probibly as much as anyone with an sl-x or any carbon pole, when i buy an sl-x it will be over 30ft as below that it is of no use to me, theres not much weight in it between the harris and sl-x 18ft

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 02:51:14 pm »
Having used and handled both the Harris (15ft) and the SL-X poles I would agree that there is not a lot of weight difference at these low levels. However there is a world of difference in usability, flex and compactness. For the price it would be hard to beat the Harris pole, but it is very easy to beat it for everything else if price is not the only concern.

ian1972

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 03:34:48 pm »
stupid question but what the sl-x like wit flex?you use a harris over a conny and it bends like a bannana ?

Mike #1

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »
how often do the clamps need replacing on the slx , i am looking to buy one later in the year so i'm intrigued about the overall wear and tear , currently using hybrid x-tel 24ft

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 03:54:00 pm »
stupid question but what the sl-x like wit flex?you use a harris over a conny and it bends like a bannana ?

Here is a photo of a year old SL-X25 over a Conservatory:

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 03:55:26 pm »
how often do the clamps need replacing on the slx , i am looking to buy one later in the year so i'm intrigued about the overall wear and tear , currently using hybrid x-tel 24ft

The clamp has been designed to outlast the equivalent clamps on an X-Tel pole.

ftp

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 07:17:55 pm »
I can't see how a pole earns more money  ???

Anyway, the nylon clamps have almost eliminated wear on my pole - I can tell this because the black carbon dust has stopped since fitting them. As for the markers - I've simply etched some marks into the face of the pole with a Dremel type tool. Just criss crossed and a touch of tipex in the grooves. Not deep, just enough to mark the surface.

luther1

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 07:33:58 pm »
Just for the record,i have a two month old Facelift Fusion and the markers have disappeared altogether where you gauge the extension,every where else is fine,unfortunately i can't see it unless i over extend and look underneath.Also,my number1 section(the thinnest) is at full adjustment on the clamp and still spins. 30ft and £500.

dave.e

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 07:40:45 pm »
dave check your email address.

OK mate thanks got the email just sent one back. Dave

matt

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:52 pm »

It’s not only the weight of the pole matt that is only one of the aspect to consider.

we are not talking about a pole thats that whippy ( from other peoples accounts of the pole, and i have used a unger pole )

i know the fishing poles are slightly whippy compared to the SLX, but the lightness outweighs that in my eyes

I can't see how a pole earns more money  ???

now dave is a big fan of the SLX, we know he takes his pole to bed sometimes :)

yes it has less bend, but for domestic houses we are not talking great heights here, a little " bend " will not slow you down

ftp

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 08:24:36 pm »
Just a tool at the end of the day. You can't beat a fishing pole for lightness for domestic work, you really can't.

But, if you prefer telescopic and want the lightest most rigid pole then you can't beat an SLX.

If you don't have money to spare or have health issues (neck pain, shoulder pain) go for a fishing pole.

If you have the cash go SLX - strong light and reliable.  ;)

Mike #1

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 08:27:04 pm »
used  24ft fibreglass pole far to wippy in my opinion,  you cant get the right pressure onto glass in order to clean adequetly can't imagine the harris been any better a good quality pole like slx would enable you apply right pressure + decent brush = quicker & efficent cleaning = more money

pingu

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 08:28:00 pm »
Perhaps ftp's idea of 'etching' is the way forward to pole marking...as these tapes do not seem to be able to last.

Ok so the tape coming off is not the end of the world but when they go it is a function lost off the original purchase..

ftp

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 08:37:13 pm »
Perhaps ftp's idea of 'etching' is the way forward to pole marking...as these tapes do not seem to be able to last.

Ok so the tape coming off is not the end of the world but when they go it is a function lost off the original purchase..

Could be milled quite nicely on a lathe I would imagine only needs a band about half inch or more. Probably add to the cost though.
I have had the screws come a bit loose in the barrels too so maybe loctite is required on these as well?

ftp

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »
Don't clamp it at that part, it's a marker. Once I see it I push the pole back into the clamp again.
More chance of snapping the pole by over-extending I think.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 08:43:03 pm »
pro window its sounds like the brush is the problem when you talk about pressure on windows..

also not having the moneys  the issue its it ending up in the pile of  knackered poles in the garden ..

etching the pole may shorten it life as its putting flaw in it...the stress may cause it to snap at that part..

Etching the base of the section will fortunately not weaken the pole at all.

Mike #1

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 08:46:07 pm »
no craig b i only use gardiners superlite brushes flocked and unflocked with regards to pressure it is more important at height especially with really dirty windys and those at extreme workable angles

ftp

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 09:02:22 pm »
You'll easily get a year out of an SLX. Much more with the latest clamps I think.

luther1

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 09:13:17 pm »
I should imagine he'd be rather disappointed that people would think one of his poles would only last a year. Any part of it is replacable . I know people who have had them years,it depends on how you care for it.