Alex Gardiner

Re: slx poles
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2009, 10:26:16 pm »
Interesting concept.  It would need to be remotely operated so you could use it whilst the pole was fully extended.

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2009, 10:33:40 pm »
And another downside to it is it would "retain" grit as opposed to it falling out on it's own accord. Aw nuthin's simple is it?  ;D

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2009, 10:38:03 pm »
Neccessity is the mother of invention aint it? Question(again) alex............sorry fella. Why is the slx seemingly more prone to grit than say, the extel..............Is there a reason? Do ya think it might be related to the diameter of the hole in the base cap?????

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2009, 10:48:13 pm »
Is the CIU site ready to crash or is just me?  ;D

windowswashed

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2009, 12:14:59 am »
The SL-X poles are very good for lightness and smaller diameter pole sections.

As an arthritic sufferer they have made my life so much easier.

However the down side to these poles is that they wear very quickly IMO in comparison to other poles (Mk1 & Mk2 versions with original clamps that have now been replaced with the modified nylon clamps). I can't comment on the new Mk 3 poles for the time being as it's too soon.

Can the high price of these poles reflect value for money for the length of service life they give? Debateable IMO however from a health point of view it can be justified.

If I was looking for a comparable pole it would have to be a Facelift pole despite being heavier it still weighs in lighter compared to other telescopic poles and is also of slim design but has a much longer service life in relation to the cost of the pole.

Why can't the SL-X pole be made of the same hard wearing carbon composite as Facelift's pole to give the SL-X a longer service life as well or would that compromise too much on the weight and slimness of the pole?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2009, 04:50:03 pm »
Neccessity is the mother of invention aint it? Question(again) alex............sorry fella. Why is the slx seemingly more prone to grit than say, the extel..............Is there a reason? Do ya think it might be related to the diameter of the hole in the base cap?????

This may be due to the tighter section tolerances, but generally will be down to working environment. I do not think that end cap hole size will make much difference. Personally I have found them no more prone to grit than the X-Tel poles.

Why can't the SL-X pole be made of the same hard wearing carbon composite as Facelift's pole to give the SL-X a longer service life as well or would that compromise too much on the weight and slimness of the pole?

Any increase to wall thickness will unfortunately greatly affect the overall diameter and the weight, hence the decision to go for the lightest most compact specification we could. I personally use these poles every week (SL-X18 - 3 years old, SL-X22 - 3 months old, SL-X25 - 2 years old, Super-Max44 - 1 year old) so my main concern is strain on the body and ease of use. We could have engineered one to last twice as long, but I for one wouldn't want to be working with it.

NWH

« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2009, 06:17:03 pm »
The only problem i have found with the pole is that the sections don`t shut smooth enough you have to really push them shut even when the pole is well worn in but i`m sure this could be overcome,this is not due to the clamps being over tight because i have mine as loose as they can be so that they still have a good enough effect on clamping the pole.The problem be it small when looking closely at the pole is that the pole sections are to thick for the clamp section so even when the clamp is as loose as it can be it still over grips the section,other than this the new version is the best pole on the market at the moment IMO  being that it is a true up and downstairs pole due to it`s collapsed length.

weetot

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »
Here Here! :D
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2009, 08:18:04 pm »
Keep doing what you are doing Alex, the pole has been a great benefit to me. It took some time for me to understand that the clamps do not have to be tight to hold well. I loved the Xtel but couldn't go back to it now for all the tea in china.

NWH

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2009, 08:26:15 pm »
The clamps don`t have to be tight to hold the sections why is this?,the reason is that the clamp houseing is to tight on each section therefore stopping it slipping to much without using the lever to clamp it.If the sections were to slide up and down a lot easier you would have to adjust the clamp levers more to stop them slipping.