dave.e

slx poles
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:24:02 pm »
May i take this opportunity to congratulate Alex on the 18ft slx pole i have had one now for about a month and talk about the dogs naggers it the best pole i have ever used and will be ordering another but can some one tell me where i can get 1.5mm or 1mm jets from  have had a look on all the site but can not find any at all thanks Dave

stephen s

Re: slx poles
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:27:25 pm »
why don't you book a hotel room for the two of you  :D :D :D :D :D

dave.e

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 06:30:28 pm »

ha ha ha  ;D ;D ;D ;D

GWCS

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:05:23 pm »

who Alex G or the pole?  ::)  ;)

pingu

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 07:13:24 pm »
used mine for about 2 hours and the clamp on number 2 section come off in my hand...looked like no adhesive to bond it.

1 day after use...the yellow and red warning tapes are already ripping...so does not look like it will see the year out.

Not a great start.

Cheers
Dave.

ian1972

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 07:29:44 pm »
dont say that paid for 1 got 3 week wait for it dont b saying they not good

darragh windows

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 07:32:19 pm »
May i take this opportunity to congratulate Alex on the 18ft slx pole i have had one now for about a month and talk about the dogs naggers it the best pole i have ever used and will be ordering another but can some one tell me where i can get 1.5mm or 1mm jets from have had a look on all the site but can not find any at all thanks Dave

i seen the 1mm jets on one of the sites cant remember which one,i looked through a few there with no joy but i think it was the same suppliers who sold a brush with red rollers on the back to help extend the pole maybe someone will know the supplier
jamie

GWCS

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:42:32 pm »
used mine for about 2 hours and the clamp on number 2 section come off in my hand...looked like no adhesive to bond it.

1 day after use...the yellow and red warning tapes are already ripping...so does not look like it will see the year out.

Not a great start.

Cheers
Dave.

I had that problem too - i emailed alex to check if it was to be glued he said yes and offered to send some glue via courier the next day - or i could return it to them (for free) and they would do it for me.

I did it myself as i had plenty of the glue spare - i know it shouldn't have happened but it was no biggie.

Not had much wear yet of the poles or the tape sections. I dont go past the yellow infact it get clamped on the yellow and no further..

Will be bathing it come the weekend and applying ptfe, to ensure all ok inside the poles and to reduce the ware.

s.w.c

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 09:53:08 pm »
dave check your email address.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 10:46:39 pm »
I bought mine at the end of March so coming up to 5 months.

Mine's the 30ft one plus 5ft g/f extension and for 95% of my work I just use the top four sections with a smaller diameter ferrule and keep the other two plus g/f extension and original ferrule ready in the van.

The stop indicators (one red only on mine) wore to nothing in two months on the top two sections and are faded on the next two. One of the clamps (quick release bicycle type of effort with a knurled adjuster) came unglued too.

Last weekend I spent an hour hosing all the sections through, re-gluing a clamp and painted double stop indicators on the top three sections.

It's a small price to pay for such a light and sturdy pole to repaint and glue every two months. It takes less than an hour and it's dry and ready next morning. I hose through every couple of weeks or when it feels a bit gritty.

If it lasts two years (at the rate I use it)  before I have to buy a new top section or next one down then I'll be happy. I do wonder if it'll need some sort of service from gardiners at about the twelve month point tho'. 

I'd be more miffed if a section got damaged/worn out and was unavailable from stock though...
It's a game of three halves!

elite mike

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 10:49:53 pm »
think i would put the hose on the outside  :o

saving all that muck going into pole 8)

windowswashed

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 07:37:58 am »
Stop indicators wear out far too quick, more paint on the indicators would be nice and sealed to prevent it wearing off.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 07:51:42 am »
Stop indicators wear out far too quick, more paint on the indicators would be nice and sealed to prevent it wearing off.

I suppose it's a trade off between a tight fit and losing paint. Too thick paint would scuff. Best result would be a different colour section in the tube. How expensive would that be? Very; even if it was practicable...

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 10:01:24 am »
We are looking at a different technological solution to the overlap markers - several option are being investigated. Currently they are applied below the outer surface (the shiny epoxy layer). Because they raise the profile by about 0.1mm they will attract more wear though, than the rest of the section. This is largely dependant on environmental factors as much as anything though, so a lot of clients will only experience this over a longer period of time. My own 22ft SL-X which has been in use longer than any clients has no marker wear at all and the Super-Max44 which has been in use with various clamps for about 10  months has only two sections with marker wear. I am quite fussy about dirt on and in the pole though. As has been said the tolerances between sections are very close, which enables the ground-breaking combination of low weight, rigidity and compactness.

When the markers wear they can be renewed with a thin paint, such as car paint or similar.

Not a great start.

Cheers
Dave.

You should have contacted me when this happened Dave. We have had one or two clients who have experienced 'bonding failure'. Usually this can be simply rectified either back at our workshops or by the user. If contacted about such problems directly we can usually work out a solution within a fairly short time frame. Let me know if it continues to be a problem for you.  :)

drwindows

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 10:16:22 am »

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 10:27:21 am »
only minus .5 on the Care-O-Meter  :(

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 10:41:50 am »

My care-o-meter is at 3.14 - I'm off for a pi(e).  ;)

pingu

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 10:43:34 am »
Alex contacting you for a thing I can rectify myself seems silly given that it would cost us both a load of money and me being without a pole would cost even more

....as for the markers wearing...surely this is not normal..if it is..I doubt they'll last the month let alone a year.

I am suprised however that you are looking into other markers given that this pole has only been out about a 3 weeks.

But yet your poles dont seem to suffer these issues..? I have used this pole for 3,5 days this week and it is suffering already...I only clean windows with it.

Ah well it's only a pole...but do remember I am using this pole as a result of the MK1 being totally useless after a years use...so I am a little less star-struck by the new pole..more that I am watching very carefully how it performs as it should.

I am just being honest thats all.

Dave.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 10:57:58 am »
I will be interested in your 'long-term' findings, keep me updated  :). The new nylon clamps have been designed to reduce section wear when compared to the older style clamps.

matt

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 10:59:18 am »
Because it will make you more money than a harris pole or fibre glass pole.

posts like that ewan and just a little far fetched

i would say the lighter pole will make you more money, as you will be able to work faster and less fatigue

AuRavelling79

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 01:38:56 pm »

posts like that ewan and just a little far fetched

i would say the lighter pole will make you more money, as you will be able to work faster and less fatigue

Absolutely right Matt! And for general domestic light commercial use - easily adjusted telescopic and light.

jouk45

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »
ewan, i only use the harris for domestic, and it is a fantastic pole, i earn probibly as much as anyone with an sl-x or any carbon pole, when i buy an sl-x it will be over 30ft as below that it is of no use to me, theres not much weight in it between the harris and sl-x 18ft

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 02:51:14 pm »
Having used and handled both the Harris (15ft) and the SL-X poles I would agree that there is not a lot of weight difference at these low levels. However there is a world of difference in usability, flex and compactness. For the price it would be hard to beat the Harris pole, but it is very easy to beat it for everything else if price is not the only concern.

ian1972

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 03:34:48 pm »
stupid question but what the sl-x like wit flex?you use a harris over a conny and it bends like a bannana ?

Mike #1

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »
how often do the clamps need replacing on the slx , i am looking to buy one later in the year so i'm intrigued about the overall wear and tear , currently using hybrid x-tel 24ft

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 03:54:00 pm »
stupid question but what the sl-x like wit flex?you use a harris over a conny and it bends like a bannana ?

Here is a photo of a year old SL-X25 over a Conservatory:

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 03:55:26 pm »
how often do the clamps need replacing on the slx , i am looking to buy one later in the year so i'm intrigued about the overall wear and tear , currently using hybrid x-tel 24ft

The clamp has been designed to outlast the equivalent clamps on an X-Tel pole.

ftp

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 07:17:55 pm »
I can't see how a pole earns more money  ???

Anyway, the nylon clamps have almost eliminated wear on my pole - I can tell this because the black carbon dust has stopped since fitting them. As for the markers - I've simply etched some marks into the face of the pole with a Dremel type tool. Just criss crossed and a touch of tipex in the grooves. Not deep, just enough to mark the surface.

luther1

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 07:33:58 pm »
Just for the record,i have a two month old Facelift Fusion and the markers have disappeared altogether where you gauge the extension,every where else is fine,unfortunately i can't see it unless i over extend and look underneath.Also,my number1 section(the thinnest) is at full adjustment on the clamp and still spins. 30ft and £500.

dave.e

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 07:40:45 pm »
dave check your email address.

OK mate thanks got the email just sent one back. Dave

matt

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:52 pm »

It’s not only the weight of the pole matt that is only one of the aspect to consider.

we are not talking about a pole thats that whippy ( from other peoples accounts of the pole, and i have used a unger pole )

i know the fishing poles are slightly whippy compared to the SLX, but the lightness outweighs that in my eyes

I can't see how a pole earns more money  ???

now dave is a big fan of the SLX, we know he takes his pole to bed sometimes :)

yes it has less bend, but for domestic houses we are not talking great heights here, a little " bend " will not slow you down

ftp

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 08:24:36 pm »
Just a tool at the end of the day. You can't beat a fishing pole for lightness for domestic work, you really can't.

But, if you prefer telescopic and want the lightest most rigid pole then you can't beat an SLX.

If you don't have money to spare or have health issues (neck pain, shoulder pain) go for a fishing pole.

If you have the cash go SLX - strong light and reliable.  ;)

Mike #1

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 08:27:04 pm »
used  24ft fibreglass pole far to wippy in my opinion,  you cant get the right pressure onto glass in order to clean adequetly can't imagine the harris been any better a good quality pole like slx would enable you apply right pressure + decent brush = quicker & efficent cleaning = more money

pingu

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 08:28:00 pm »
Perhaps ftp's idea of 'etching' is the way forward to pole marking...as these tapes do not seem to be able to last.

Ok so the tape coming off is not the end of the world but when they go it is a function lost off the original purchase..

ftp

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 08:37:13 pm »
Perhaps ftp's idea of 'etching' is the way forward to pole marking...as these tapes do not seem to be able to last.

Ok so the tape coming off is not the end of the world but when they go it is a function lost off the original purchase..

Could be milled quite nicely on a lathe I would imagine only needs a band about half inch or more. Probably add to the cost though.
I have had the screws come a bit loose in the barrels too so maybe loctite is required on these as well?

ftp

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »
Don't clamp it at that part, it's a marker. Once I see it I push the pole back into the clamp again.
More chance of snapping the pole by over-extending I think.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 08:43:03 pm »
pro window its sounds like the brush is the problem when you talk about pressure on windows..

also not having the moneys  the issue its it ending up in the pile of  knackered poles in the garden ..

etching the pole may shorten it life as its putting flaw in it...the stress may cause it to snap at that part..

Etching the base of the section will fortunately not weaken the pole at all.

Mike #1

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 08:46:07 pm »
no craig b i only use gardiners superlite brushes flocked and unflocked with regards to pressure it is more important at height especially with really dirty windys and those at extreme workable angles

ftp

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 09:02:22 pm »
You'll easily get a year out of an SLX. Much more with the latest clamps I think.

luther1

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 09:13:17 pm »
I should imagine he'd be rather disappointed that people would think one of his poles would only last a year. Any part of it is replacable . I know people who have had them years,it depends on how you care for it.

Mike #1

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »
totally agree i would expect an slx to last 5 yrs for the £500 or so i will be paying later in the year might wait though

Mike #1

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 09:19:12 pm »
HOT TOPIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!! how long has the slx been out and what is the longest length of time someone has used one overall , full report please

pingu

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 09:37:52 pm »
Alex has without doubt made a massive contribution to our industry with regard to the use of poles and how they have made our lives better in respect to the toll that this repetitive work places on our bodies.

Even though I have had a MK1 pole to the point where is became a pain to use as I was having to cut and shut it regulary...the pole did make my life easier in so many respects and to be honest it allowed me to earn a nice turnover in the time it was used...I would say how much but that would open up another can of worms ;).

So Alex...despite me having the odd dig about this and that...Thanks for being a pioneer and having the forward thinking and perseverance to continue to advance the poles and brushes...

Ok so you're in business and I hope are doing very well out of it and these poles inturn help me do well also.

I used the MK1 from 20th May 08 until the 31st July 09 (R.I.P)..MK3...Since last Monday...

Cheers
Dave.

ps...I doubt any pole will last 5 years....

boshravie

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2009, 10:03:22 pm »
Long live ALEX-GARDINER :)

boshravie

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2009, 10:07:30 pm »
GARDINER
Top pole, Top service and Top man.

pingu

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2009, 10:13:02 pm »
Lets not get carried away with this...he'll never be able to wear a hat again... ;D ;D

By having the odd dig here and there we can keep him on his toes...ssssshhhh don't tell him ;)

Dave.

boshravie

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 10:24:05 pm »
Hi pingu
He just heard you  :o
That’s it ,,, you wont  get any key rings any more  ;D ;D

pingu

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2009, 07:50:13 am »
Keyrings...and pens...it took him long enough to send me those....

Its people like Cozy I feel sorry for(it's hard not to)...I think Alex has something against us lot on the incontinent...so just to show some good will, Cozy is meant to be visiting me at some stage when he can get his gypo pikey wagon sorted out and I shall present him with a Gardiners pen on behalf of all the CIU members here for being such a big CIU member here ;)...I would have given him a keyring as well but I use that on my dog lead..

Dave.

cozy

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2009, 08:07:33 am »
So I come all the way to Holland for a pen and to be Dave's brew bitch? lol

If WFP is anything for me, it will be one length as all my squaddie custies houses are all the same. No cons or obstacles really.

Do I get 50% off a new pole because I am fighting my own corner over here? ;D

pingu

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2009, 08:19:47 am »
Like I said Cozy...Alex just has something against you box-heads..sorry but that's just the way he is :P....

AuRavelling79

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2009, 12:03:21 pm »
My SLX was bought in March 2009 and has knurled aluminium clamps.

Nylon clamps? Less wear? Is there an upgrade for mine?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2009, 12:06:43 pm »
My SLX was bought in March 2009 and has knurled aluminium clamps.

Nylon clamps? Less wear? Is there an upgrade for mine?

Of course there is  :)

www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Gardiner_Pole_Systems_SL-X.html

Bottom of the page gives you all the details including fitting instructions.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2009, 12:20:16 pm »
OK, mine works OK. Will the new clamps benefit me now or should I wait until there is a need and what would that need be?

pingu

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2009, 02:18:17 pm »
If my experiance with the MK1 pole is anything to go by...get the upgrade...plastic against carbon will wear way better than carbon against carbon.

Cheers
Dave.

macmac

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2009, 02:24:50 pm »
HOT TOPIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!! how long has the slx been out and what is the longest length of time someone has used one overall , full report please

I've had mine sinse it's original release (about 18mths I think, maybe Alex could confirm?) I use it every day for everything & it's still going strong. No clamp issues, no exsessive wear issues etc. I ditched my carbon facelift in favour of the sl-x, which is sat in the shed & only gets used once a month for a hotel which the sl-x doesn't reach as mine is the 25ft model & the facelift is 44ft.

I clean the pole hose each time I put it back in the van (if required) & have only taken the pole apart & flushed it once in all this time (although I would recomend you do this more often). The point is, the sl-x, for me has not required any more care or maintaning than my facelift pole.

For me the sl-x was a no brainer, much more productive & easier than the facelift & a genuine all in one pole!
Top product. ;)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2009, 03:20:49 pm »
OK, mine works OK. Will the new clamps benefit me now or should I wait until there is a need and what would that need be?

I'd do it now to reduce wear.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2009, 05:06:48 pm »

But what about warranty issues? I bought a pole suitable for purpose; which it appears to be, only to find that the clamps have been changed to improve it/reduce wear. It's almost like there is a design fault that has been overcome but because I bought mine in March 09 I have to pay.

If I pay the admittedly small sum of £7 plus p&p etc. and do it myself then is there a warranty issue?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2009, 05:29:13 pm »

But what about warranty issues? I bought a pole suitable for purpose; which it appears to be, only to find that the clamps have been changed to improve it/reduce wear. It's almost like there is a design fault that has been overcome but because I bought mine in March 09 I have to pay.

If I pay the admittedly small sum of £7 plus p&p etc. and do it myself then is there a warranty issue?

There are no warranty issues. The current clamps you have will work fine, if you are worried stick with what you have. The new clamps have been in production/development for a year now so are not related to any issues with your ones.

Mike #1

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2009, 05:45:39 pm »
nice to hear macmac i have always found gardiners to be top notch only use brushes so far getting funds together for slx

matt

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2009, 07:22:07 pm »

The 1st slx clamps are great, no reason to change the clamp for nylon one that does the same job but has not proven itself, every plastic clamp has and will have problems.

Wears is caused by the grit/dirt getting between the sections & rubbing against the carbon has nothing to do with any clamps.

not wanting to be argumentative

BUT

when you tighten anything against something else the softer material will wear ( or if they are of equal strength, the wear will be equal

matt

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2009, 07:23:52 pm »
surely the better idea would be to have the weaker material in the clamps, as these will wear and be cheap enough to replace

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2009, 08:12:35 pm »
surely the better idea would be to have the weaker material in the clamps, as these will wear and be cheap enough to replace

Spot on matt.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2009, 08:25:30 pm »

I've had mine sinse it's original release (about 18mths I think, maybe Alex could confirm?) I use it every day for everything & it's still going strong. No clamp issues, no exsessive wear issues etc. I ditched my carbon facelift in favour of the sl-x, which is sat in the shed & only gets used once a month for a hotel which the sl-x doesn't reach as mine is the 25ft model & the facelift is 44ft.

I clean the pole hose each time I put it back in the van (if required) & have only taken the pole apart & flushed it once in all this time (although I would recomend you do this more often). The point is, the sl-x, for me has not required any more care or maintaning than my facelift pole.

For me the sl-x was a no brainer, much more productive & easier than the facelift & a genuine all in one pole!
Top product. ;)

Same here, I've had mine since launch and I've looked after it really well, wiped the hose in between jobs, and wiped down the pole at the end of the day, sometimes under a running tap. Now and then a bit of silicone spray on it, but don't do that often.

Result? Almost no wear whatsoever.

Plus, I'm using a pole hose tidy now, and there is basically zero wear since I've used that, I don't EVER get dirty hands anymore, not even a tiny bit. I wish I used that since launch now, because the pole would have been spot less. If you keep the pole hose clean, and your hands clean, you basically don't get any wear.

If anyone doubts that, Alex mentioned it was the least worn SL-X they had seen so far. Maybe that has changed since then though!

I am very tempted to get the new clamps fitted though, I have to admit.

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2009, 08:39:43 pm »

I think this is the way to go, and would like to purchase spares when i order another slx. Having looked at the link for kits there is a mk 1 and a mk 2.Does that mean the current pole is designated mk3?

While agreeing with some of the criticisms of the pole mentioned by pingu etc i have been very impressed and do think that as product development goes alex has done well with so few prototype designs/mods.Threads like this where users can give feedback can only be a good thing long term-and short term tetchyness is surely a small price to pay.

Earlier alex said  'As has been said the tolerances between sections are very close, which enables the ground-breaking combination of low weight, rigidity and compactness. '

And for me that sums it up.

What hose tidy do you use? two hooks on the pole? doesn't that add to weight?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2009, 08:55:47 pm »

I think this is the way to go, and would like to purchase spares when i order another slx. Having looked at the link for kits there is a mk 1 and a mk 2.Does that mean the current pole is designated mk3?

While agreeing with some of the criticisms of the pole mentioned by pingu etc i have been very impressed and do think that as product development goes alex has done well with so few prototype designs/mods.Threads like this where users can give feedback can only be a good thing long term-and short term tetchyness is surely a small price to pay.

Earlier alex said  'As has been said the tolerances between sections are very close, which enables the ground-breaking combination of low weight, rigidity and compactness. '

And for me that sums it up.

What hose tidy do you use? two hooks on the pole? doesn't that add to weight?

Yes, technically the new range is the Mk3 version.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2009, 08:57:36 pm »
Slumpbuster,

This is the pole hose tidy that I'm talking about, it's made by purefreedom, can be ordered in black.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POLE-HOSE-TIDY-WATER-FED-POLE-WINDOW-CLEANING_W0QQitemZ250411813698QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA?hash=item3a4db50b42&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It does add a little bit of weight to the pole, but not really that much, certainly not enough to make me consider taking it off.

Edit:

Here you go, made a little thread on it a while ago.

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=71836.0

pingu

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 04:36:50 pm »
update 27.08.09 clamp of pole section 3 came loose after around 10 days total use...these bonds are failing and look like there is very little bonding agent on them...think I will remove all the clamps and fit them so they do not come loose in future.

Did'nt realise the SL-X mk3 was a DIY pole.

Cheers Dave.

suds window service

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »
the pole needs better clamps full stop!

p1w1

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 10:50:25 pm »
after using mine for a month now i have also taken all the clamps off and re glued them as they all came loose have to agree with the last post the pole does need better clamps..

paul

Rob.Hall

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 11:39:28 pm »
Best clamps I have used is the x tel ones.

They dont stick out so no snagging.

They are easy to adjust and dont seem cause any probs.

trevor perry

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2009, 03:49:46 pm »
Best clamps I have used is the x tel ones.

They dont stick out so no snagging.

They are easy to adjust and dont seem cause any probs.

got to agree with you on that one they are good clamps
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

pingu

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »
I have had the MKIII SL-X from it's release date and each week I spilt the pole, wash it down and give it a little spray of silicone. Today I have really noticed that on the top 2 sections(most use)  large area's of the ribbed carbon surface has worn away in vertical lenghts around 10mm width... very smooth indicating wear...at such an early stage :o

Anyone else have similar? or anything else?

I sometimes 'feel' that I am in some sort of beta test program..I'm sure that is not the case....

Despite the very good customer care program that Gardiners have...if there was a better product out there I would buy that and drop the SL-X in a heart beat.

Cheers
Dave.

concept

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2009, 03:42:53 pm »
for the money, that simply isn't good enough.

looks like i will have to keep waiting til the 3.5 model comes out!

pingu

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2009, 04:01:39 pm »
To all...please do not take my posts as a 'vendetta' against Alex or Gardiners...I am just at the stage after having to pension off my MK1 sl-x after 14months use (no longer servicable). So now a little less star-struck I am just posting as I 'see', no agenda..just plain observations...as I would with any tool that I buy.

Respectfully
Dave.

ian1972

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2009, 04:21:07 pm »
its a tool so should have varied responces otherwise design would never move forward would it,anyway still a good pole just niddely bits as with anything

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »
To all...please do not take my posts as a 'vendetta' against Alex or Gardiners...I am just at the stage after having to pension off my MK1 sl-x after 14months use (no longer servicable). So now a little less star-struck I am just posting as I 'see', no agenda..just plain observations...as I would with any tool that I buy.

Respectfully
Dave.

I agree, sort of. I am still star struck with the slx and it has been a revelation. I also agree with your critisisms.

This pole makes my job so much easier and saves me a lot of time and money. It's brilliant.

As to the clamps, well they do catch, and the cams can also catch and stress fracture, and the lock nuts can fail.

I'm pretty hamfisted and clumsy, and add to this that if you are used to using cam levers on mountain bikes you do the things up as tightly as you can. This is wrong. This pole is designed to grip the sections and hold them in place with only minimal pressure.This concept has taken a lot for me to grasp, and i think alex has become sick of trying to explain it.

I have bought another slx and couldn't even think about not using one now. Those of you out there putting the purchase off because these ' delicate  clamps, cams ,and locknuts' shouldn't.

The poles work advantages more than outway any shortcomimgs. This pole will make you money.

pingu

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2009, 08:29:33 pm »
I have to admit I am finding that I like the clamps in the sense that only a little 'bite is required..and that I find so refreshing and easy.

Dave.

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2009, 08:45:20 pm »
You didn't ask me, but one of the earlier guy's mentioned bridging, and not getting the ladders off. I would say this saves me three pounds every time and it happens three times a day.So my argument is the pole 'makes' me nine pounds a day and recoups it's own purchase price inside two months.

Now that's what i call a bargain.

mark dew

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2009, 08:52:25 pm »
I agree it is about making our working time as profitable as possible. Even a saving of just 10 minutes a day, 4 days a week, is worth the best part of £1K a year. Based on £30 per working hour.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2009, 11:15:00 pm »
A telescopic pole will show signs of wear from day one. It's called friction & impossible to avoid. That first day glossy look of any carbon pole will soon wear off. BUT, this isn't a sign of the pole's life span, rather just a natural occurance. MY MKI slx "looks" well worn & has done for ages, it doesn't affect how it works for me, as it does every day.

Do you think the discs & pads on your van still look like new after a few miles? but they still work as good.

EZclean

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2009, 12:08:01 am »
are the new clamps different from the mkii, I've had a mkii for some time and the clamps are perfect.

and its not shiny anymore, but it isn't wearing too bad, can't see why it wont last another 12-18 months, so 2yrs out of a £400 pole is pretty good, get gets a lot of use. is the mkiii a step back from the mkii

next time your over in halifax, could i come and have a play with your pole for 10mins  ;D

i wanna see one in the flesh and make my own mind up. i might save the penny's then in time for the mk10  :D
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

pingu

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2009, 07:12:38 am »
I suppose what a pole is worth is subjective and there are many variables but my MK1 SL-X required to be serviced within 6months(excellent customer service and turnaround)...and my round is 8 weekly and I only work 6.5 weeks out of that and the odd week is only 3 days...so as can be seen I have a relaxed round.

Add to that the amount of time I had to keep tightening the clamps with a allen key the time and frustration of the pole collasping/spinning and the amount of time spent 'cutt'n and shut'n' the pole as the pole walls were wearing at such a rate I was doing this weekly.

So that pole to me was not worth anywhere near the price I paid for it in terms of hassle but it did enable me to earn a healthy amount of money and the wear and tear on my body was way less than would have been with a heavier pole.

I am observing the MKIII pole in use and will post my opinions here about it.

So far..2 clamp sections have come loose ...very little signs of bonding agent.
and very obvious signs of wear on sections 1 & 2 ....aprox 10mm wide and running length ways. I have to wonder which is the weaker part..the carbon fibre or the plastic clamp unit?..what is being sacificed to what?

But having said this...I would never go back to a g/f pole and I do find the SL-X in day to day use a very light, flexible and strong pole and the brushes are really good.

The SL-X is the best that is currently available but if something better come along I would try that...as I feel the SL-X is very much a product in testing.

It cannot be all things to all men but 'wear' does appear to me an issue...but then again some people have used there SL-X and state they have had no issues regarding wear. If that is the case I either am mis-using my pole to an alarming extent or I keep buying 'pups'.

I now wash and clean the pole out every Sunday...when the pole is put back in the van I run the pole hose through a rag to remove debris and during the week if I feel the pole needs it...I wash it through...so I am trying to keep it grit free.

Cheers
Dave

pingu

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2009, 07:33:36 am »
Just to answer Winp®oClean..my MK1 SL-X did wear and this was more than comestic i.e the sheen being worn away...

The inner walls would wear away which when the clamp was removed would be noticeibly thinner and at times would have worn away to such an extent that the complete sections of wall structure would be missing..this wear was not just limited to that immediate area on 3 occassions the very fabric had worn and cracks could be found in the pole wall that followed the weave of the c/f down the pole.

I found tapping the tube walls near the clamp with my finger nail you could hear the difference between good c/f and worn c/f.

Cheers
Dave.

EZclean

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2009, 03:50:56 pm »
i should be over there aswell weds if i get everything done tues so that'd be great
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

dd

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2009, 05:57:18 pm »
Pingu

To reduce pole wear I find the most effective thing is to wipe the pole hose after each job, or even after each time you extend the pole. This stops grit being transferred to pole sections. It is the amount of grit on the pole sections that really accelerate the wear in my experience.

I have been doing this with a 17ft xtel pole used daily for the majority of my work, and after 6 months have not needed to adjust any of the clamps. It really only takes seconds each time, but in total could add around 5 minutes to your working day.

pingu

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2009, 06:01:44 pm »
dd I have already said that I do run the pole hose through a rag each time I collaspe the pole down but to suggest doing this to each pole section every time one is extedened or dropped is not even funny.

If a pole cannot deal with that then in my humble opinion it is not fit for purpose.

Cheers
Dave.

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2009, 06:40:11 pm »
Pingu.........Do ya think the answer may be in the size of the hole in the base cap?????? I've noticed that it is a whole lot bigger than what was in my extel.....hence more grit going up into the pole. I cleaned my pole the other sunday........first job monday, i got sand on the hose. The damn thing seized up on me. Had to give the whole pole a break down and a flush thru on the job. It done the trick, but like ya say, not ideal.  ::)

ftp

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2009, 06:45:55 pm »
I'm with Pingu on all points. Excellent pole but there always seems to be issues somewhere with it. I can only conclude that Alex's test team are far too gentle with their prototypes because mine have both worn like Pingus. My clamps haven't come off (because I put them on) but mine is wearing pretty quick.
Pointless running Gardiners down imho because if you don't like the pole what else is there that's any better?
Nothing as far as I'm aware.

windowswashed

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2009, 07:11:54 pm »
Facelift pole is the nearest quality pole, pricey, fatter and heavier but value in the long run.

ftp

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2009, 07:19:52 pm »
Like you said, fatter, longer sections, less rigid and more money. Probably a very good pole but still not good enough for me to want one.

« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2009, 07:50:49 pm »
What a lot of ungratefull ignoranouses, no wonder people have breakdowns. Answer one question honestly, if you could turn back time, not have the pole, but keep your money, would you?

If the answer is no shutup.You got the best of this deal, we all did.

pingu

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2009, 07:51:48 pm »
2 years...I think would be reasonable but the trouble is that it is not that poles simply stop working...the wear that is common causes hassel way before a pole needs to be taken out of service.

I would prefer to use a pole for 2 years and then for every section to snap in half the very next day rather than to have to nurse a pole for months on end.

To Slumpbuster:
Ungratefull...where did that come from? I will not answer your question as it does not prove/dis-prove anything.

Cheers
Dave.

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:33 pm »
Sorry pingu probably a bit harsh and not your fault, just a bit concerned about the guys stress levels.And that's probably none of my business either.

pingu

« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2009, 08:15:33 pm »
No offence taken..this forum can be a little 'sporty' at times....cheers Dave ;)

traps7

« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2009, 08:24:00 pm »
I thought the mk iii was gonna have replacement sections available. Any news on this?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2009, 08:26:52 pm »
I thought the mk iii was gonna have replacement sections available. Any news on this?

They are not on the website yet.  They can be ordered via a phone call to the Office (01726 66400).

traps7

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2009, 08:34:27 pm »
That makes me feel a lot better because my first two sections are going a bit smooth on my 25' SLX.
Even weighing up the few teething problems its had if i could go back i would still buy this pole again. Every time.
And it does save me time because there's windows i can reach now that i couldn't with my old whippy fibre glass and had to go get my ladder.

Top pole and top customer service. Whenever i need something now my first stop is Gardiners.

I know that sounds like an arse lick but it's true.

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2009, 09:45:49 pm »
What an arse lick  ;D

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2009, 09:57:57 pm »
On a more serious note.................Alex....have you considered the possibilty of having some kinda "brush" inside the end cap. Personally i think that would work wonders in keeping debris out of the pole. Well 90% of it anyways. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on that.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2009, 10:16:07 pm »
On a more serious note.................Alex....have you considered the possibilty of having some kinda "brush" inside the end cap. Personally i think that would work wonders in keeping debris out of the pole. Well 90% of it anyways. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on that.

We have seriously considered this but as pointed out above it would hinder the hose coming back out as you close the pole down.  I am working on a couple of other ideas at the moment which are slightly novel but may help solve the dirt on pole hose problem.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2009, 10:26:16 pm »
Interesting concept.  It would need to be remotely operated so you could use it whilst the pole was fully extended.

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2009, 10:33:40 pm »
And another downside to it is it would "retain" grit as opposed to it falling out on it's own accord. Aw nuthin's simple is it?  ;D

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2009, 10:38:03 pm »
Neccessity is the mother of invention aint it? Question(again) alex............sorry fella. Why is the slx seemingly more prone to grit than say, the extel..............Is there a reason? Do ya think it might be related to the diameter of the hole in the base cap?????

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2009, 10:48:13 pm »
Is the CIU site ready to crash or is just me?  ;D

windowswashed

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2009, 12:14:59 am »
The SL-X poles are very good for lightness and smaller diameter pole sections.

As an arthritic sufferer they have made my life so much easier.

However the down side to these poles is that they wear very quickly IMO in comparison to other poles (Mk1 & Mk2 versions with original clamps that have now been replaced with the modified nylon clamps). I can't comment on the new Mk 3 poles for the time being as it's too soon.

Can the high price of these poles reflect value for money for the length of service life they give? Debateable IMO however from a health point of view it can be justified.

If I was looking for a comparable pole it would have to be a Facelift pole despite being heavier it still weighs in lighter compared to other telescopic poles and is also of slim design but has a much longer service life in relation to the cost of the pole.

Why can't the SL-X pole be made of the same hard wearing carbon composite as Facelift's pole to give the SL-X a longer service life as well or would that compromise too much on the weight and slimness of the pole?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2009, 04:50:03 pm »
Neccessity is the mother of invention aint it? Question(again) alex............sorry fella. Why is the slx seemingly more prone to grit than say, the extel..............Is there a reason? Do ya think it might be related to the diameter of the hole in the base cap?????

This may be due to the tighter section tolerances, but generally will be down to working environment. I do not think that end cap hole size will make much difference. Personally I have found them no more prone to grit than the X-Tel poles.

Why can't the SL-X pole be made of the same hard wearing carbon composite as Facelift's pole to give the SL-X a longer service life as well or would that compromise too much on the weight and slimness of the pole?

Any increase to wall thickness will unfortunately greatly affect the overall diameter and the weight, hence the decision to go for the lightest most compact specification we could. I personally use these poles every week (SL-X18 - 3 years old, SL-X22 - 3 months old, SL-X25 - 2 years old, Super-Max44 - 1 year old) so my main concern is strain on the body and ease of use. We could have engineered one to last twice as long, but I for one wouldn't want to be working with it.

NWH

« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2009, 06:17:03 pm »
The only problem i have found with the pole is that the sections don`t shut smooth enough you have to really push them shut even when the pole is well worn in but i`m sure this could be overcome,this is not due to the clamps being over tight because i have mine as loose as they can be so that they still have a good enough effect on clamping the pole.The problem be it small when looking closely at the pole is that the pole sections are to thick for the clamp section so even when the clamp is as loose as it can be it still over grips the section,other than this the new version is the best pole on the market at the moment IMO  being that it is a true up and downstairs pole due to it`s collapsed length.

weetot

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »
Here Here! :D
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2009, 08:18:04 pm »
Keep doing what you are doing Alex, the pole has been a great benefit to me. It took some time for me to understand that the clamps do not have to be tight to hold well. I loved the Xtel but couldn't go back to it now for all the tea in china.

NWH

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2009, 08:26:15 pm »
The clamps don`t have to be tight to hold the sections why is this?,the reason is that the clamp houseing is to tight on each section therefore stopping it slipping to much without using the lever to clamp it.If the sections were to slide up and down a lot easier you would have to adjust the clamp levers more to stop them slipping.