mgba_78

Scrim Drying
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:45:31 am »
Hi

Now the weather is getting rubbish what the best way to dry my scrims, the ones i left out last night are still a little damp this morning, so i tumble dried some to make them proper dry, is it ok to do this??

When they have been tumbled they now feel softer as opposed to how they feel when dried naturally, sort of crispy?

Just hope they work as well as they did before, we'll see i suppose off out in a min.

Cheers
Andy
Oooooo that is shiny!!

Paul Coleman

Re: Scrim Drying
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:50:04 am »
Hi

Now the weather is getting rubbish what the best way to dry my scrims, the ones i left out last night are still a little damp this morning, so i tumble dried some to make them proper dry, is it ok to do this??

When they have been tumbled they now feel softer as opposed to how they feel when dried naturally, sort of crispy?

Just hope they work as well as they did before, we'll see i suppose off out in a min.

Cheers
Andy

You may find that your filter clogs more easily and will need to be cleaned out more.  Maybe us an airing cupboard or a clothes horse in front of a rad/fire.  It looks less tidy but works.

trevor perry

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 09:16:09 am »
for crying out loud you should be able to wring them dry with your hands.    get a grip
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:25:22 am »
Well you will have to have one hell of a grip to wring them dry :o

And a dry scrim works better than a damp scrim for detailing and polishing.

Throw them in the tumble drier, I've done it that way for over 22 years and not had a problem.

But don't add conditioner sheets!!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

trevor perry

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 09:42:56 am »
when we used  to hire men the first task given was to get scrim dry if they would of asked for a tumble drier i dont think we would offer them the job. but we would of had a good laugh
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

welmac

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 09:47:49 am »
twist your scrim as tight as you can, and wring out as much water as poss. then fold it in half and twist it all again (be surprised how much more water comes out). you should be able to get it dry enough to work with..............if you cant then use a tumble dryer  ;)

D woods

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 09:54:24 am »
Hi Trevor

I agree with you you can always tell a real window cleaner just by watching
him wash his tools out.

Londoner

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 10:25:14 am »
It depends how many scrim you have. If you have enough you don't have to panic to get them all dry every day.

Put up a washing line in your van and when they get wet hang them on the line. They will dry naturally by next day except in the really cold weather.

KJG

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 12:27:01 pm »
Hi Trevor

I agree with you you can always tell a real window cleaner just by watching
him wash his tools out.

I don't like anyone watching me wash my tools out ;D

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 12:56:16 pm »
when washing 50 a week i have a industrial washing machine and dryer in garage  thats the way to do it
also when my kids hourse blankets get dirty i can was them aswell  ;)

mgba_78

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 01:44:44 pm »
Cheers guys, what i am doing is washing them every day, so after 1 maybe 2 uses they are being washed, is this too much?

I do have loads of scrim but i wash them all when i have a full machine load, which sometimes doesnt leave enough for the next day if its a full one.

I feel i am reasonably strong but to hand wring a scrim dry, you must be like the Hulk or summink ;D

Andy
Oooooo that is shiny!!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 05:18:33 pm »
when we used  to hire men the first task given was to get scrim dry if they would of asked for a tumble drier i dont think we would offer them the job. but we would of had a good laugh

I'd like to see you try it with tennis elbow.

Extremeclean

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 06:46:30 pm »
for crying out loud you should be able to wring them dry with your hands.    get a grip

I wouldnt put it as strongly as this but you should be able to get a scrim just right for use by hand only.  If you've ever seen a real scrim artist at work I bet you've thought that he has a bit of dirty old rag in his hand. Far from it. It's a good well worn in scrim that has probably never seen the inside of a washing machine or dryer. A good scrim works best when worn in and just damp for detailing and polishing off.

Here's how you wring it out to the right dampness.

Take hold of 2 opposing corners and fold it into a large triangle. Swing it round and round in front of you until it is rolled up nicely. Fold it in half and then half again. You will be left with a tightly wound sausage shaped scrim. Take hold of both ends and wring out hard. Unless you have tennis elbow or a weak wrist. That will get rid of a lot more water than you thought it would hold. Give it a final hard swing towards the ground then find one corner and snap it out like you are cracking a towel out. If you see an old timer doing this you are watching a master of the art of using a scrim properly.

Washing it is just a case of a good dunking in clean water and then drying using the above method. A fluffy scrim will leave fibres all over the place especially when its bone dry.

dai

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 08:25:24 pm »
I have at least 30 scrims and I am mainly wfp, I always have dry scrims available.

And a dry scrim works better than a damp scrim for detailing and polishing.

I can't go along with Ian on this one. Nothing beats a damp, clean scrim that has been washed without detergent, it has to be clean though.
Back in the late 50's before we had sqeegies we worked with one scrim all day.
It was washed frequently and wrung out by hand. I had callous on my hands from wringing them out. After wringing they were opened out and shaken like a rug to remove any last bits of water, and then folded into a pad. Dreft, if you can remember it was the only detegent ever used, and that for the first wash only after the boiling. Dai

P®oPole™

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 08:36:58 pm »
Does anyone whip there scrims?

welmac

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 08:41:06 pm »
Does anyone whip there scrims?

yep!!!  ;D

P®oPole™

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 08:44:39 pm »
You know welmac ;)  dont know why anyone has mentioned this yet, you gotta crack your scrims fellas ;D

edd

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 10:56:12 pm »
we just dry them with the van heater if needed but we got over 100 but still use the heater from job 2 job somtimes only use 2 in a day!!! v8 edd

james cairns

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 11:17:17 pm »
the young lads with us could not wring the cloths out right so we used to get them to put it around a railing and twist to help wring

then sailing and wipping to help dry them out

in winter weather its best to just throw it in the van and bring out another dry scrim, seems even with scrims the old ways are disappearing as we look for easier solutions

jinky

LSB

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 02:20:14 pm »
I wash them once or twice a week ! the rest of the time they are rung out and flicked a few times a day for continuos use  .