Dry Clean

Re: DIY Electric Reel Waiver
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 11:55:42 am »
By writing this waver you are admitting the reel isn't safe, your best friend may be happy using the reel but even the best of us can have an accident, especially when doing repetitive work,  if he does you will be liable.
Remember your insurance wont cover accidental damage caused by anything that doesn't have the proper health and safety approval so keep this in mind when using anything DIY in your business.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 01:22:23 pm »
By writing this waver you are admitting the reel isn't safe, your best friend may be happy using the reel but even the best of us can have an accident, especially when doing repetitive work,  if he does you will be liable.
Remember your insurance wont cover accidental damage caused by anything that doesn't have the proper health and safety approval so keep this in mind when using anything DIY in your business.

I do get your point.  If you are using DIY you dont really have a leg to stand on if anything goes wrong.

I will bear this in mind going forwards with all purchases for my van systems.

5 Years ago everything i did was my done myself but now that i can no longer work my staff are doing everything.

Going forwards i think no more DIY.  I will just use supplier equipment for peace of mind

dd

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 06:38:10 pm »
As everyone has come down on him like a ton of bricks (with some justification), the poor guy has probably been put off posting on the forum anytime soon.

you d have to be a thin skinned snowflake to not post because of a bit of constructive criticism......easily offended people need a check up from the neck up.......
I think most of us need one of those.

Gringo

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 06:53:24 pm »
Fair play Jo5shm4n, to your earlier post re downtime for repairs on electric reel I have the older hd power up reel used every day for 6 years and no issues or repairs needed , so if me bet not an issue get them in and forget about them v robust and reliable

Gringo

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 06:54:02 pm »
If money not an issue that is

Matt.

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2021, 07:47:28 pm »
Good decision josh

Just buy them a normal hand reel one mate, it will be a few years before they start moaning about reeling in and by then who knows we’re we will all be

Ralphie

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2021, 08:50:37 am »
Ok,

Appreciate the advice guys.  Just wanted to give a little more clarity on why i even made this post.

The main reason that i don't want to get a PF Electric Reel, or a Waterworks Powerup Reel is because if anything breaks, they are so over engineered to perfection that its difficult to fix for somebody like myself who is not the best at DIY.  I would have to send the reel back or drive a 4 hour round trip just to get the reel fixed.  This is way too much aggro.

The reason why i prefer the DIY Electric Clabber Reel that i made is because i built it, so if it breaks i know exactly how to fix it in minutes.

Cost is not the issue here its more downtime or faffing about if an Engineered reel breaks on me.

Infact i think i am more tempted to go with Adams idea, and just use a Manual Clabber Reel instead.  I only got the electric reel originally for my own ease when working.  My best friend currently works in my van  and he is fine with using the DIY Electric Reel, but as mentioned the issue is when i get a new employee where the concerns arise from.

At this point i think i would rather either Keep the DIY Electric Reel and just hope for the best, or get a chain guard fitted somehow myself.  Or just swap it out for the Clabber Manual Reel.

I have written a waiver, but clearly from what all of you are saying, it really would not stand up in any legal sense should there be an injury.

So what you are saying is that money is not the problem but the over-engineered professionally built ones break down and you do not have the engineering expertise to fix them but you do have the engineering expertise to repair your home made one?

Really.

Do you have a spade in your hand whilst you type?

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2021, 01:37:30 pm »
Good decision josh

Just buy them a normal hand reel one mate, it will be a few years before they start moaning about reeling in and by then who knows we’re we will all be

we ll all be richer with better rounds in a few years...always tweaking,improving and making more money year on year.....hopefully! :)
price higher/work harder!

robbo333

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2021, 06:14:11 pm »
Nice one Josh.

This is why we use the forum...to get a different viewpoint.

I mean it's pointless talking to the missus!  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2021, 09:21:35 am »
Fair play Jo5shm4n, to your earlier post re downtime for repairs on electric reel I have the older hd power up reel used every day for 6 years and no issues or repairs needed , so if me bet not an issue get them in and forget about them v robust and reliable
The belt on my powerup 3D reel snapped last Thursday. Certainly in the case of this model I'd question the robustness and reliability. Only last month the switch failed too.
Doesn't look exactly simple to disassemble and replace the belt even if the supplier gets back to me and has stock of parts. In hindsight I'd have bought a reelmaster, or at least checked every available part I may need as a spare in future was listed and readily available. I mention this because its something worth bearing in mind. DIY is no good for staff but at least as Jo5shm4n mentions its fixable !

Splash & dash

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2021, 02:21:29 pm »
The belt on my powerup 3D reel snapped last Thursday. Certainly in the case of this model I'd question the robustness and reliability. Only last month the switch failed too.
Doesn't look exactly simple to disassemble and replace the belt even if the supplier gets back to me and has stock of parts. In hindsight I'd have bought a reelmaster, or at least checked every available part I may need as a spare in future was listed and readily available. I mention this because its something worth bearing in mind. DIY is no good for staff but at least as Jo5shm4n mentions its fixable !

We have 6 of theses reels on long term test and haven’t had a single problem with any of them so far sounds like you have a duff one . Just for the record changing the chain on the reel master or putting it back on if it comes off isn’t an easy job either real pita