WFP the dream/nightmare begins
« on: September 25, 2005, 08:21:56 pm »
Do I go for a trolley mount system?

Do I go for a trailer mount system?

Do I go for a static system?

Do I go for a van mount system?

Well now, having spent just one day with a friend who uses a static system, and a 500l tank from his transit for 2 operatives, almost diy system, but he's been going for over a year...I now know at least one thing.  WFP w/c works.

So what do I do now?  A newbie asked a similar vague question the other day.
Golden Graham told him to go suck a lemon.  Graham as usual was shot down in flames because newbies need to be treated with kindness.
But Graham's advice was not entirely wrong.  He suggested researching past postings.  However I have searched over 200 past threads to help me and they are all so fragmented, it is hard to extract the information you want.
I know I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and find out the hard way...but...
Just to start me off,
What do you think are the pros'/cons' of a van mounted system?
Same question regarding static system?

I am no techno, so I won't be doing much diy.  But I do have half a brain, so I reckon I'll be buying carbonfibre poles for lightweight.  I think minimum use for me will be 300l per day, so I'll go for more, maybe 350-400.

Share with me guys.. I need you now...I will give back what I learn.

This may surprise some, but, I would especially value Golden Graham's opinion!!
After digging through old threads he has said a lot of direct and helpful things.  He has been a naughty boy/girl lately but I think a lot of that is borne out of frustration.
So please share a bit of your wisdom.
I've gotta start somewhere, and now is the time

Pj

Moderator David@stives

Re: WFP the dream/nightmare begins
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 08:40:54 pm »
Get a packpack for the difficult access .If you are too old to carry one put it on a suitcase trolly.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 08:41:42 pm »
Y'see guys.

Quad est demonstrandum

Golden      Graham ;)

Pj

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 08:47:57 pm »
If you have got a small van ,start with

250L tank
shureflo 8000 100psi pump
varistream 2 controller
50m any hose +any reel
brush 18` residential+30 `
18+litre vessel and resin

bobs your uncle ,unless you need ro as well.
good set up to start with and easy to upgrade from

Qed

Dave

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 08:48:59 pm »
So predictable!

I love you both!

Pj
aka 'Dances with poles'

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 08:59:15 pm »
Any more detail chaps?

Dance's with poles

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 09:08:21 pm »
Poles there is such a variety residential and commercial and sizes
for commercial you will need 18-24`with adjustable angle head, to allow you to get over conservatories etc and 30`+ to take advantage of high work

As for make and weight ie carbon fibre etc that is down to personal choise .
Having seen ionics and brodex brushes side by side i would say ionics brush wins hands down

the actual brodex proffesional pole is very good
I would suspect ionics poles are good too

I have not seen any other mfrs brushes so i cannot comment on them .

Dave

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 09:18:52 pm »
I mean this.. I am fact finding desperately.

I just knew you would offer your knowledge Dave.  You are a good guy.  I will re-read these things and act on them.
I have to ask... How's yer bum?

Graham
Why say it in three words when you can say it in one!
I am genuinely moved by your straight response.  You are!
No patronising from me Broken knee.

The Doctor

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 09:34:05 pm »
My self i think the ideal setup would be to have a

Van Mount system and a trolley system.

The van mount system at least 400ltrs
this would be used for the main work and a trolley system for the one's where you can't get the van close enough.

At the moment i use a omnitrolley but i am getting a bigger van shortly so will also have a van system.

But i think if you can only afford one system go for the trolley much more versitile.
Then when funds allow get a van system to go with the trolley.

I would not bother with a 250ltrs van system. It would be far to small for a days work unless you are doing tops only.

Paul

John Walker

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 09:47:02 pm »

250L tank
varistream 2 controller
50m any hose +any reel

Qed

Dave

This is similar to my set up except that I work from a car.  Varistream controller and Shurflo 100psi plus hose reel all fixed professionally in the boot of a Peugeot 406 saloon.  Water in 20 litres containers (25s are too big).  I just swap the input hose from container to container as required.  It's just like a van-mount system - All the gear is the same - only restricted by carrying capacity but good enough to get started.

I have 4 x 20lts in the boot (behind the rear seats) - directly over the rear wheels.  1 in each rear seat footwell and two in the passenger seat footwell (160 litres in all) - nice even distribution of weight but still lighter than 5 adults plus luggage.

Best bit is - nothing wasted when I move to a van later.

John
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

twt

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 10:28:22 pm »
i say you need both,van mount for your bigger jobs and trolley for small houses ive made a trolley from a sack truck with a pump, controller and a thirty litre barrow the trolley contects to the tank in my van and bingo i have a van mount. i just do tops with wfp on small houses but on bigger/leaded/georgian i use it up and down.

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 10:34:25 pm »
This is all

250L tank
varistream 2 controller
50m any hose +any reel

Qed

Dave

This is similar to my set up except that I work from a car.  Varistream controller and Shurflo 100psi plus hose reel all fixed professionally in the boot of a Peugeot 406 saloon.  Water in 20 litres containers (25s are too big).  I just swap the input hose from container to container as required.  It's just like a van-mount system - All the gear is the same - only restricted by carrying capacity but good enough to get started.

I have 4 x 20lts in the boot (behind the rear seats) - directly over the rear wheels.  1 in each rear seat footwell and two in the passenger seat footwell (160 litres in all) - nice even distribution of weight but still lighter than 5 adults plus luggage.

Best bit is - nothing wasted when I move to a van later.

John
good

18' brush?

Please clarify?

When switching from container to container, is there a chance of air lock or backflow or any of these other things I have been reading about?
Thanks for the learning stuff.  I love this forum
Nowhere else do people share such experience

Dr Pj

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 11:06:44 pm »
Thanks Paul
Makes sense to me
I am about to spend!

Dr Pj

Will let you all know 'which way the tree falls'.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 11:47:03 pm »
18` brush i should of said 18` pole with a 12" brush

John Walker

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 01:07:22 am »
18' brush?

Please clarify?

When switching from container to container, is there a chance of air lock or backflow or any of these other things I have been reading about?
Thanks for the learning stuff.  I love this forum
Nowhere else do people share such experience

I use a smaller Vikan brush for residential worrk.

No problem with air locks  - simple really  -  I have a water-stop Hozelock fitting on the end of the pick-up pipe  - keeps the water in the pick-up pipe and the pump ready primed.

BaxWalker Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 06:25:25 am »
Ideal set up IMO

Static water production/storage. (You dont have to go for an " oversized" RO/DI unit) and it helps to have a buffer of a few 100 ltrs there ready.

Van mount PLUS trolley. There are always going to be windows in places that a van mount can't get to. Pole length depends on work. 18ft will do 99.9% of windows on 2 storey residential stuff.

That is our set up anyway. All based around our freedom trolley which powers the van mount.

Have a look at it here

http://www.freedomwfp.co.uk/

Andrew

Solo Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 04:08:02 pm »
This and another thread made me think of something the other day ( it has be known to happen from time to time)

Would it not be a good idea to put together a WFP FAQ and then get it pinned at the start. This may save some of the newbies a whole lot of trawling as was pointed out earlier. Get it all condensed in one place.

Lee

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 04:21:48 pm »
Well said Solo.
I have had the day off today, and I've spent most of it trawling through old threads.
Lots of it good educational stuff.  This really is a helpful forum.  Some is humourous, some embarrasing :P  Some repetitive time wasting drivvle.
I have searched 25 back pages of threads including links to help me work out which way to go.
It's a time consuming job, but a FAQ section with useful links could be built up.
I have read a lot, but much needs to be explained.
The way I'm thinking at the moment is: get a filtration system at home storing pure water, then get a good van mounted system.  Away I go, in theory.
But still many questions.
I don't even have a van yet!

Pj

jsm

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 04:23:41 pm »
go for the back pack - van system .
If moneys tight go for the backpack and cans , and get a 28ft pole , this will get you over conservatories and 3rd floors . I'm borrowing the backpack from Dan @ DSB and can say it's a good bit of kit for the money .

300ltrs should last you all day on your own as a van mount - I clean bottoms wfp .
what you all think of the new van ??? 8)
John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 04:45:28 pm »
Thanks jsm
looks a nice van, what is it?  You got plenty spare room!
I don't quite get the priciple of backpack/.  Has that got the pump ,battery, etc on it?
Does it draw from your van supply of pure water?
I don't wan't to be carrying anything (backpack?)I'm 52 with Angina! Sad I know.
I can do a day's work but I gotta watch it.  I ain't gonna win any strong man competitions.

Pj

matt

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 05:06:16 pm »
Pj

the backpack is a selfcontained unit, some on here just then add them to a sack truck

personally, i think the 16 L of water in a backback is ok IF you are carrying it

BUT

if its just going to be a Trolley system, why not use a pump and 25 L Barrels (you will need the barrels anyway to fill the backpack)

build your own

http://www.d.co.uk/

check out the forum on the site, loads of others have built there own and all the Questions are at hand, most of them have been answered aswell  ;)

jsm

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2005, 06:52:51 pm »
Like you matt I built my own trolly system with help from you , but I used the whale pumps with the jump charge batt pack .
 After my pack died I been have loaned the surflow Backpack.
For £170 ( you can get it cheaper I know ) its a good bit of kitt , the pump , a Shurflow - has 4 speeds , it easy cleans 3-4 storys , come with its own battery inbuilt  , and has a auto shut off pump so no wasted water . If you bought a pump and a varistream you are looking at £160 ish ( I just bought one ) so it's not bad money . Due to the big blue cap I can dump water into it from the cans quicker than it used to take me to change a barrel over a before .

Stick it on a sack barrow and it's the same thing , personally I wouldn't last a day with it on my back  :o
on the first speed I can do a 4 bed detached house with 3/4 of the water in it ( about 15ltrs I think ) 

The Van - Its a Citroen Distpatch  pimped up with a second hand 300ltr REACH & WASH  :P :P :P
John Malone
(  North Wales  )

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout

ian davison

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2005, 07:12:16 pm »
Where can you get these shurflow backpacks from and how much?
               Ewen

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2005, 08:05:45 pm »
internet what   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2005, 08:53:56 pm »

You got angina? :o Are you sure you should be doing any of this stuff?

Beats working ;D

Go see a real doctor old chap.

Seen more doctors than er

You could be dead very soon!

So could you

How long has this been going on?

3years

Do you smoke? STOP NOW!

Gave up 25years ago

Thank you for your concern Broken knee

Pj

jsm

John Malone
(  North Wales  )