Adam P

how to remove 100% limescale from glass
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:05:39 pm »
i use some great green limescale removers, which when powered with decent tools (we use green sponges and blunt knife) we can shift most limescale from most of the bathroom. however sometimes it can be a little more tricky so if the client is ok with it we use harpic 100% limescale remover. this can work great, but it doesn't always remove 100% limescale even though it's really light limescale and i can't seem to find anything that shifts it.

what i'm talking about is like water droplet shapes or limescale that is really small and extremely light, so light that when water is on it on the glass it's almost impossible to see, but when you dry the glass it really then stands out. I use astonish oven cleaner on the stainless steal and it removes it, though it can take a while to get 100%, but nothing works on the glass. i have spent ages trying a variety of things but nothing ever does it in the time we have for a clean (at most we have 4/5 hours).

can anyone suggest something we can try? i'd really love to know what would get rid of this as it's such a pain having an almost new bathroom, ruined by the glass doors.

i'm thinking of getting a steam cleaner in the future if it's recommended enough for deep cleans, perhaps this'll work?

mystery

Re: how to remove 100% limescale from glass
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 02:14:48 am »
Can't comment on the steam cleaner, as I've never used one but I have tried all those methods & more  ;D having the same problem at my customers.

Best things I have found for glass (works better on some glass than others) is appliance descaler liquid poured onto a sponge/mild scourer wash then rinse & dry or a new good one I've found is "Lime Brite" in a small white bottle also a liquid, use in the same way. It's part of the "Hob Brite" family (the old orange bottle, sure you have seen it) I find those 2 work better on glass than Harpic 100%, not very expensive either so worth a try.

Hope this helps.

The Great One

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 07:14:43 am »
Hi

It won't come out.

What you describing sounds like it has etched into the glass, it does look like limesclae but it has been there that long, it is now permanent.

I use harpic all the time as it's the only thing that works quickly and 1st time.

Regards

Martin 8)

pt

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 07:40:05 am »
Hi,
search the aquafactors website. They do various chemicals for glass restoration.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 03:30:36 pm »
I cleaned the roof windows on the flagship Sainsbury's store at Greenwich, a couple of years ago.

These comprised of 9 ribs of 50 window units, each window 1 metre by 1.5 metre.

Externally they were a nightmare and oxidised by aluminium. Nothing would remove the film of grey across them. I have sourced something that will get your windows or glass clean but it cost me a great deal of time and effort and I am not giving the supplier or ingredient away freely.

If you are interested contact me on r-mclean@btconnect.com.

Rob ;D

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:20:04 pm »
There is a product called MDR (mineral deposit remover) that is formulated for this task. Its available from window cleaning suppliers and it does work. Its a brown cream and applied to the window with a non scratch scouring pad and washed off as normal.

I have also used with great results on tiles and glass in shower areas and sinks.

Pristine Clean

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 11:40:28 am »
Neil,

Thats very helpful useful information.

Oh and free by the sounds of it.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Pristine Clean

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 11:54:40 am »
We use a product called Loobrite. It is also safe on stainless steal.

We have used it on some shower doors. Its works a treat. Alot quicker than 4 - 5 hours.

We just applied it undiluted. Spread it all around. Wait 20 minutes and wipe and rinse off. I will say a 2nd applications maybe required on shower doors if it is heavily covered in limescale. But the glass looks like almost new.

Heres a link. Becareful as there are a few products about with the same name.

http://www.capitalonline.biz/shop/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 04:53:39 pm »
Dave
Have i missed something?

Pristine Clean

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 06:43:49 pm »
Dave
Have i missed something?

Er

Do you mean the bit about being Free?

If so I was refering to M Clean Uk as he wants to charge or barter in some way for the chemical and name of the supplier.

So you offered possibly the same or an alternative product and gave the advice for Free.

Dave

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:36:03 pm »
No problem i missed that bit. Happy new year ;)

mrs.mayne

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 12:11:27 am »
i use w5 limescale remover on shower glass and get on fine with it. i am noticing that some of you use harpic loo cleaner. now the stuff i use is fine as i said, but you know the limescale that has built up over long periods of time before having anything used on it - how does the loo cleaner compare to w5?
next question, some houses i go into, the stainless stell has been tarnished where some of the cleaners squirt the w5 over the glass and allow it to drip onto the stainless steel (carelesness grrrr)  is there anything i could use to restore this that any of you know of?

The Great One

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 09:40:04 am »
Hi

I was having a discussion yesterday about harpic toilet cleaner/limescale remover and of course there are some cleaners who are reluctant to use something that not for it's intended purpose. I was very cautious with the Harpic toilet cleaner.

But having used it now for over a year exclusively on stainless steel sinks, shower screen, tiles, porcelin sinks it is yet unsurpassed by anything I have used, the secret with it being you have to rinse it straight off, that way it doesn't tarnish anything.

With regards to S/S that has already been tarnished I have salvaged S/S with Bar Keepers Friend £2.99, it comes as a powder and you can use a scourer with it (damp) scrub the area and leave for 1 minute then wash off, may need 2 treatments, also had success with the Harpic again with a scourer.

Regards

Martin 8)

mrs.mayne

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 08:48:58 pm »
thanks martin i shall give that a try

concept

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 09:14:22 pm »
rotary polisher

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 01:07:25 pm »
yeh i have come across these before and i carry a paste whitch will do the trick its called spot remover and you can get this from unger website its specialy designed for the job you are doing hope this is of help to you and  keep on scrubbing 

mrs.mayne

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 09:54:05 pm »
martin, i got my boss to check out the barkeepers friend and there is quite a large range could you tell me which specific one please if you wouldnt mind
Thanks in advance

Adam P

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:07 pm »
martin, i got my boss to check out the barkeepers friend and there is quite a large range could you tell me which specific one please if you wouldnt mind
Thanks in advance

the below one

http://www.granite-care.co.uk/articles/wp-content/uploads/bar-keepers-friend.jpg

The Great One

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 07:20:52 am »
Hi

Yes green, that's the one.

I have used it many times and it's very good, even gets tea staining off of composite sinks.

Regards

Martin 8)

trevor perry

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 03:35:22 pm »
go to www.windowcleancentre.co.uk click on the chemical section and there is a product called crystalclear 550 this will definately do the job
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt