lisamint

leather gone sticky
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:05:10 pm »
The glossy finish on my leather sofa has gone so sticky that we have to cover it to sit on it. Has anyone come accross this and could  you recomend what cleaner to use and re surface with.
has anyone out there had to do this before any advise would be greatly recieved?
regards lisa

BDCS

Re: leather gone sticky
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 07:50:12 pm »
You would be better posting this on the carpet forum but I have known this problem being solved by using metalised floor polish

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:12:43 pm »
A little more information would be required before a definite answer can be given.

If the leather is a bicast leather then this is now a fairly common problem on furniture that has not been correctly protected and cleaned.  Body oils and dirt can break down the finish on the bicast which will make it go sticky.  There are things that can be done (not with floor polish!!) if the breakdown is not too severe.

If you have a pigment coated leather a sticky finish cna be down to the breakdown of the finish on the leather.  Once again body oils and dirt are major players but it is often caused by the inappropriate use of cleaning products (baby wipes, washing up liquid, conditioners, furniture polish etc.) which can ll cause the breakdown of the finish.  This would need to be rectified and refinished.

Give me a ring if you want further information and we will be pleased to help
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

lisamint

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 10:22:55 pm »
yes we have used baby wipes as we were recomended by the shop we purchsed it from.
The surface is now very rough and the throw we have over it has to be pulled / pealed off from the seat cushions.
I would love to be able to remove the stickyness.
Lisa

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 07:09:46 am »
Baby wipes are one of the worst things to use for cleaning leather - where did you buy your suite and who recommended them becasue they have been the cause of ruining your suite.

It will depend on the type of leather it is as to how easy it will be to fix.  If you want to send me some photos to enquiries@LTTsolutions.net or give me a ring on 01423 881027 I can advise you further.

Regards
Judy
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

BDCS

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 07:25:17 pm »
It was on the prochem course that they showed us putting the metalised polish on the leather to seal it - If thats wrong then I shall forget I saw it - sorry