Roger Oakley

Re: Drought warning
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 06:19:49 pm »
Carl, Can you give me a call when you get a moment.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 06:23:19 pm »
Roger

Is there anything we can do to put some names and weight behind anything you have planned?

Rob ;D

Roger Oakley

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 06:39:24 pm »
Roger

Is there anything we can do to put some names and weight behind anything you have planned?

Rob ;D

Rob,

I have put forward my representation's to both Thames & Veolia, and it seems any new rulings will be made before the end of March from the emails I have received back from both companies, so at a guess until then don't think there is anymore one can do at this time.
As I said earlier each person/company needs to put their case forward.

Don't think this one is going to be an easy ride though.

Roger Oakley

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 09:27:55 pm »
One other thought I have just had, if paving can be cleaned for H&S reasons, who is going to make that call? us as pressure washers, the water companies or are we going to get an H&S executive come out to evrey job we have booked in after 5th April to access the risk?

Madness.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:54 pm »
Roger

As you know I am exempt from the hosepipe ban but am expecting within a couple of months for the drought order to cause some problems.

I have works at Southampton, Torquay, Slough - all imminently due and I will probably finish them before any drought regs come in.

To counter concerns I have works at Manchester, Southport and others, these will not be affected - as it stands!

I have further works at Dartmouth and before the end of the year will have at least 20 stores in the problem area.

My thoughts are probably different to the domestic argument in as much as  the stores will want builders mud, rubbish etc cleared away before the stores are re opened and the store and principle contractors may see it as a H & S issue. As you say who will make that call because the water companies cannot determine what is a H & S risk as well as I can or any contracts manager/s.

I still would like to know how much use the desalination plant, at Beckton has gotten in the last 5 years and if and when it is going to be switched on for the current situation.

Rob ;D

mark bowditch

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 11:06:15 pm »
HI Rob
that's an easy to answer none
due to come on line within the next few weeks properly after hose pipe  ban starts
as far as I'm concerned it should be running 24 seven and pumping the water into the reservoirs
I think it is considered too expensive to run don't want to hurt their profit is also wind turbines within half a mile so they could easily installed one to run the plant

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114832/Desalination-plant-provide-million-people-water-taken-River-Thames-drought-hits.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

mark
Pressure Washing and Maintenance
http://www.grimeforce.co.uk

mike roberts

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 03:25:15 pm »
may of been abit harsh.. But i still think ur an arse rob  ;D ! Putting that to one side, had response from mp written to director of veolia plus defra as he says it unaceptable the effect on small companies also local media are getting involved...
Just a thought i think we are all agreed prob may escalate how about starting a facebook page  ??? ... Dont all laugh, that way it can bring us altogether plus friends plus general public could easily achieve thousands of likes also act as a source to direct media etc..
I think a personally feel a big push should be... why are water companies not helping us to recycle /save water? As opposed to simply stopping us from trading... What do you think? Ps using a phone bloody nightmare

Rob_Mac

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 07:48:16 pm »
Mike

Got you back posting though didn't it!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rob ;D

mark bowditch

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 08:12:59 pm »
Taken from Thames water website
section 3 in blue surely needs to include pressure washing done as a service to customers in the course of a business.
 I think we should all e-mail the person below with our thoughts and they may updated it
this must be done no later than Thursday
21 March
Exemptions
The following will be exempted from the restriction:
1.   using a hosepipe in a garden or for cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises, paths or patios, a private leisure boat or an artificial outdoor surface, where such use is necessary for health and safety reasons.
2.   watering a garden attached to a domestic dwelling or watering plants on domestic premises using a hosepipe, by people with severe mobility problems who hold a current Blue Badge as issued by their local authority.
3.   using a hosepipe to clean a private motor vehicle, or walls and windows of domestic premises, where this is done as a service to customers in the course of a business.
4.   using a hosepipe to water an area of grass or artificial outdoor surfaces used for sport or recreation, where this is required in connection with a national or international sports event.
5.   drip or trickle irrigation watering systems, fitted with a pressure reducing valve and a timer, that are not handheld, that place water drip by drip directly onto the soil surface or beneath the soil surface, without any surface run off or dispersion of water through the air using a jet or mist.
Representations
Representations about this notice may be made in writing to the Public Consultations team, 2nd East, Thames Water, Clearwater Court, Vastern Road, Reading RG1 8DB, or by email to consultations@thameswater.co.uk. Representations must be received before the end of 21 March 2012.
If, as a result of such representations, any terms of the prohibition are varied, a further notice will be published. The restriction will come into force at midnight on 4 April 2012 and will remain in force until further notice
Pressure Washing and Maintenance
http://www.grimeforce.co.uk

mike roberts

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 08:59:51 pm »
Mike

Got you back posting though didn't it!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rob ;D

Errrr  >:(

Personally I have better things to do on a Sunday  ;D ;D

I fell asleep after 1st para................. woke up Monday  ;D ;D

This will make you laugh..
We have a commercial job to price only small 2 guys / boom 1-2 days,
std metal cladded factory roof with roof lights, My partner contacted Veolia today to check no problems as commercial - They said it was fine to clean roof as long as we dont touch the roof lights  ;D ;D What!

mike roberts

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 09:10:58 pm »
Taken from Thames water website
section 3 in blue surely needs to include pressure washing done as a service to customers in the course of a business.
 I think we should all e-mail the person below with our thoughts and they may updated it
this must be done no later than Thursday
21 March
Exemptions
The following will be exempted from the restriction:
1.   using a hosepipe in a garden or for cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises, paths or patios, a private leisure boat or an artificial outdoor surface, where such use is necessary for health and safety reasons.
2.   watering a garden attached to a domestic dwelling or watering plants on domestic premises using a hosepipe, by people with severe mobility problems who hold a current Blue Badge as issued by their local authority.
3.   using a hosepipe to clean a private motor vehicle, or walls and windows of domestic premises, where this is done as a service to customers in the course of a business.
4.   using a hosepipe to water an area of grass or artificial outdoor surfaces used for sport or recreation, where this is required in connection with a national or international sports event.
5.   drip or trickle irrigation watering systems, fitted with a pressure reducing valve and a timer, that are not handheld, that place water drip by drip directly onto the soil surface or beneath the soil surface, without any surface run off or dispersion of water through the air using a jet or mist.
Representations
Representations about this notice may be made in writing to the Public Consultations team, 2nd East, Thames Water, Clearwater Court, Vastern Road, Reading RG1 8DB, or by email to consultations@thameswater.co.uk. Representations must be received before the end of 21 March 2012.
If, as a result of such representations, any terms of the prohibition are varied, a further notice will be published. The restriction will come into force at midnight on 4 April 2012 and will remain in force until further notice

Mark - Bit like the others here We dont work in Thames so have not spoken to them, did mention this to Roger the other day. When the other companies refer to hosepipes they are including pressure washers... Anglian state the same have spoken to them and have confirmed we can continue as normal!

Roger Oakley

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 09:26:41 pm »
Mark
You have to get your representations in by 21st March so by tomorrow, did mine the other day along with Veolia, answers will be know around 27th March.

Blast Away

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 10:50:45 pm »
Email from Spinaclean today

"Professional Paving Cleaning Companies Unaffected by the Localised Temporary Hose Pipe Ban"

Temporary Hose Pipe Ban due to take effect on 6th April in selected areas of the UK

Over the last 8 years Spinaclean and Jetstream have helped many new businesses “live the dream” to run their own driveway and sealing business. Other existing businesses have also enhanced their service by offering our systems too.

The temporary hosepipe ban concerns us as we still operate a localised domestic and commercial cleaning and sealing service that employs two full time operatives.

To completely understand the full ramifications we contacted a number of Water Authorities affected by the imminent ban enabling us to give accurate feedback to you,our customers.       

The most Important message is, if you are running a genuine paving cleaning business YOU ARE EXEMPT and do not fall under the restrictions…great news!

Please see below typical extraction stating what can be carried out during a hosepipe ban from Anglian Water Authority website

14th March 2012

·    "Use a hosepipe in the course of a business to clean a private motor vehicle, or for cleaning walls or windows of domestic premises, paths or patios or an artificial outdoor surface, where this is done as a service to customers"

To put a positive spin on perhaps a negative, we could become busier as the domestic user will be unable to clean their patio or driveway using their own pressure washer where we as a business could do it for them!

We have visited most water authority websites and personally contacted Anglian and Thames Water Direct to confirm our findings. We would of course recommend that you call your own local water authority to confirm our statements

Please see this useful link that also has a search by post code facility to check whether you’ll be in a temporary ban area www.anglianwater.co.uk

If the temporary ban affects you we have some tips and few creations and offers that may help your business

Roger Oakley

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 06:45:29 am »
Nice post Lee,
But what Andy hasn't said is that none of the water companies are agreeing with each other, that statement is from Anglia water. Thames & Veolia (which is my 2 main areas) say totally different.
Hopefully around the 27th-28th March there will be some solid facts as to what we can or cannot do as it seems a bit of a mess at the moment.

BDCS

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 03:59:12 pm »
    The missus has finished speaking to the three water companies in our area - they all say something totally different and their attitude differs a huge amount. Southeast water said he did'nt understand why they all say different things as they were all there when the draught was done and as far as he was concerned it was work as normal if you do it for a living. E mails have gone off to all the water companies and Defra but I have as yet not recieved a reply from my MP so he has also been copied in on it all.
    Thge government has today shown how much they value small busines's input to the economy by first banning us from using water then hiking the fuel tax - Happy Days  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Smurf

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 05:26:23 pm »
I've also sent an email/letter to Thames water so will let you lads know if I get any response.

BDCS

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2012, 12:48:03 pm »
Had a phone call from Southern water who said it was fine to carry on and will confirm in writing before April 5th , 1 down 2 to go and then still waiting on a reply from the MP and DEFRA.  ;D

Kenny83

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2012, 07:45:26 pm »
may of been abit harsh.. But i still think ur an arse rob  ;D ! Putting that to one side, had response from mp written to director of veolia plus defra as he says it unaceptable the effect on small companies also local media are getting involved...
Just a thought i think we are all agreed prob may escalate how about starting a facebook page  ??? ... Dont all laugh, that way it can bring us altogether plus friends plus general public could easily achieve thousands of likes also act as a source to direct media etc..
I think a personally feel a big push should be... why are water companies not helping us to recycle /save water? As opposed to simply stopping us from trading... What do you think? Ps using a phone bloody nightmare

Facebook page is a great idea mike, no harm in tring, set one up mate
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 11:43:24 am »
Has anyone got a response back from Thames water yet?