www.mrgutters.co.uk

PLEASE HELP ME!!
« on: June 08, 2005, 09:02:55 pm »
i know you will all say charge how much you worth but this is a big job , i have been asked to quote on a large office building 3 stories high but higher really cos of the high office ceilings it is like four so wouldnt feel safe on ladders for top floor , it has round 160 windows 2mX1m then 1 main large glass facade around 40ft high by 6m wide split into around 100 small pains then it has 9 simalar glass facades around the building but smaller with around 50 pains to each with the pains being 1/2mX1/2m .

and thats half of it then it needs the entire inside done

CAN YOU HELP ?

shawn

these are pics.. and this is not all of it still one more side missing plus the rear ..
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

windolene

Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 09:07:36 pm »
sorry,

out of my depth, but but good luck.

Kevin.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:22:55 pm »
Can't see any way you could price this accurately.
You don't want to end up with a nightmare.

If I were you I'd get a rough idea how long it would take in my head, and assuming it's quite a few hours just charge for a days work.

Better to risk going over than under!

Roger.

williamx

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 09:25:12 pm »
Shawn

Quote the customer an hourly rate of £40-£50 or what you consider is ok.

danny mckim

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 09:32:30 pm »
if u need the job mate play safe and be very careful not to underprice. If its a bonus think of a price and double it. If u dont get it youve not had it to lose and if you did get the job you will be delighted.People dont mind paying  for quality windowcleaning these days. Good luck

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 09:38:04 pm »
the other two window cleaners didnt give quotes cos they said it is to big .. i am thinking this too but if i pull it off it might be most of my wfp payed off .. its a one off clean

shawn

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 10:14:07 pm »
could i get a reach and wash for 700 or so diy kit mybe must be hardwater

shwn

Mike_G

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 10:29:43 pm »
Can you compare it to any job you already have, or have done in the past if so try to work out a price based  on that. If not try to work out how long to do each window or each floor and times it by the appropriate amount and then add on some more just in case. Better to be to high than to low, unless your desperate for the work.

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 11:09:08 pm »
Blimey.

A difficult one that.

I'm also of the opinion of go for a very high price as they've had 2 other w/c's turn down the offer to give a quote.

When you give the quote just mentally shut your eyes and just say it as if it's normal.

We done that for one job we were asked about where we didn't have a clue about the price and had even less clue as to how to do it and we got the job.

It lasted 9 months untill the contract ended and is to date, the best commercial job we've ever had.

Cheers

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 11:13:36 pm »
i know its realy hard to judge its a big big job would £900 be alot for such a job
the biggest  have done is £212.00 but you just cant tell

shawn

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 11:20:36 pm »
Hi Shawn

Just go for it.

The commercial job I was posting about above was £330 for 2 hours work for 3 people and when I handed the quote in we all though 'no way' but it was accepted.

You'll always be wondering otherwise.

Cheers

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 11:28:19 pm »
just got a reply saying quote £1500 so i think i will go with that .. and just see what happens ..

shawn

rosskesava

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 11:41:50 pm »
Hi Shawn again

Please post about how you get on.

Good luck.

Cheers

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 11:42:41 pm »
i will mate

Old_Master

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 12:59:26 am »
From the information you posted
I would charge between £700 to £900 for the job.
It is difficult to get it right without seeing the building though.

I dont know why the other window cleaners would be scared off by it though there are 10s of thousands of much bigger buildings who do you think does them?

texas girl

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 04:57:45 am »
Shawn,

If it were me giving the bid  I would count the number of panes and multiply by a set figure. 160 plus 100 plus 450 = 710 panes to clean.710 X $7. = $4350.00 American dollars; 2,305 pounds.

For in and out. That is a large undertaking; equipment; expertise; time; any danger involved? That is a lot of panes to clean.

If you have any snags you will be glad you are making what it is worth.

Do not underbid. There are many other things to do with your time. It is better to step out and charge what is fair and get fewer contracts; but make more per contract.

Good luck!

Hugs
Texas Girl :-*
Debbie

Old_Master

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 09:07:20 pm »
Texas Girl
Im moving to the States
If you can get £3.25 for each 1/2 metre window.
My window cleaning company would be turning quite a bit more than £1.5 million a year at your rates, more than 3 times more than here >:(
On the next plane to Texas
Glyn

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 09:24:06 pm »
Texas Girl
Im moving to the States
If you can get £3.25 for each 1/2 metre window.
My window cleaning company would be turning quite a bit more than £1.5 million a year at your rates, more than 3 times more than here >:(
On the next plane to Texas
Glyn

Ah, but Glyn, they only get them cleaned once a year there; and that includes screens (the wire mesh stuff that keeps the bugs out) I think.

Old_Master

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 10:53:54 pm »
Ken
So the £2,305 price quoted isnt realy relevant to the UK.
Still those Texas prices sound good to me
yehaaa

rosskesava

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 11:07:41 pm »
From the information you posted
I would charge between £700 to £900 for the job.
It is difficult to get it right without seeing the building though.

I dont know why the other window cleaners would be scared off by it though there are 10s of thousands of much bigger buildings who do you think does them?

Hi Glyn

There are several huge buildings around here that have had the window cleaning contract up for grabs for ages.

One, a university building that can only be done by roped access, has not had the windows done for 3 years.

I'm hoping this years to get IRATA qualified to do the rope swinging thing.

The council here is crying out for craddle certified window cleaners.

It seems that here down in the South East, there is loads of work just waiting to be done and lots that could be done with WFP.

I don't know about moving to Texas though ...... all that sunshine and stuff......

Cheers