Does anyone take a dog to work with them?
« on: May 26, 2005, 06:51:14 pm »
Hi all,

I'm not refering to Wor Lass as she'd strangle me if she thought I was, but last night, Wor Cat was ran over by a car. 

Very sad.  Buried her in the back garden, after curling her up in a blanket.  Wor Lass has been crying for most of today!

So... we've a vacancy for a pet.  I fancy a little dog; to keep me company on my rounds when Wor Lass isn't with me (during school holidays - and she's looking after Wor Little un').

So does anyone here work with a dog, and what considerations have you to consider?

Re: Does anyone take a dog to work with them?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 07:14:35 pm »
I've got a catdog which is a cat called Warren named after Warren Barton and he behaves like a dog - follows me down the street - when I park up he comes up to the car and puts his paws up on the drivers door to look inside -  I have to say he's the best dog I ever had - no good at cleaning windows though ;D

replacement

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 07:26:52 pm »
Some people might be abit funny with the dog mess and the dog in there garden, others will love it. Overall I dont think its a good idea thou.

Justin

dustycorner

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 07:29:05 pm »
take my retriever collecting sometimes

Cheers Mark.

mick hay

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 09:15:00 pm »
i got a 8 stone bullmastiff which i intend to take with me, but he will be snoozing on the passenger seat tho,....not venturing into customers gardens!!!

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 09:33:30 pm »
I took my border collie with me once, she got bored and chewed the hand brake handle and the steering wheel, left it at home ever since.
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Jon T.C.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 03:25:28 pm »
My mate used to take his terrier, used to chase customers cats - even killed one once! Mess on customers gardens and eat his workmates lunchboxes!

There was the odd few old dears who used to like him and give him biscuits, but in my opinion , it looks very un-professional.

Elite Cleaning Solutions

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 03:43:24 pm »
Maybe a parrot on the shoulder???  There are men of note who have done that

Duke

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 04:31:37 pm »
one of our lad's takes his dog along, and works with his sister too....no problems as far as I know...stays in the Range Rover kipping mostly...it's a Spaniel I think...

cleanthrough

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 05:17:23 pm »
Hello

I have seen several topics on this site that could be classed as non cleaning but this one I have to bring foward

Dogs?, to work?

I only mentioed how uptight one of my customers got when I pecked my friend on the cheek and gave a quick hug and my post was deleted.

No more than most of you would do saying goodbye to a loved one or child

WHY WAS ALL MY GAY POSTS DELELED AND WHY WAS I TOLD BY 2 MODERATERS NOT TO MENTION GAY AGAIN
I THINK SITE SITE IS DISGRACFULL

GET WITH THE TIMES

THIS IS THE WORST FORUM I HAVE COME ACROSS, NO PUN INTENEDED

I goto several sites non gay and they all know I am gay and dont mind, I am sure most of you guys dont mind either and I dont blame the MEMBERS ONE BIT

ADMIN AND MODERATERS HERE ARE OLDMEN STUCK IN THE PAST

I bet this gets edited
I have even posted in the last few days and had a sneaky suspision my posts were being toyed with?

I used to take my dog to work but not window cleaning as it died

Thanks

John

Duke

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 05:27:12 pm »
I'm sorry you had a disagreeable experience on this site John....I, and I'm sure many others don't care if you are gay, straight or green with purple stripes....it's about cleaning, with a bit of well intentioned banter thrown in...Your, or anybody elses sexuality really has nothing to do with it...I know a bit about predjudice..after all, I'm a biker and have lived with it all my life...try and be a little less sensitive maybe...and just stick to cleaning issues...I have to...and it IS worth it for the wealth of experience you can gain from the Pro's that post here. It's a funny old world and it wouldn't do to all be the same.
Regards...Duke.

cleanthrough

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 05:30:19 pm »
Hello

Would I of got the same reaction if this was what I said:

My customer cancled today because:

I am a skinhead

I have a beard

My young lad went collections

I was simply pointing out a grumpy customer and your veiws

As  I said Members were supportive with some great emails of support.

It was the way Adminatration and moderaters took it all out of hand

John

Philip Hanson

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 05:34:15 pm »
ADMIN AND MODERATERS HERE ARE OLD MEN STUCK IN THE PAST

Some call me a whippersnapper, now I'm an old man.

I guess you can't win!

(I'm 29 by the way, and I'd rather be thought of as a whipper snapper)

-Phil
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

Duke

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 05:45:57 pm »
lol...compared to me...you are  :)
(in the age sense...not the cleaning sense)

cleanthrough

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 05:56:58 pm »
Hello

My only joy comes from Phillip must of read my abusive comment to him before he deleted it

I do not understand why this forums owners have choose to outkast so many members

I am off to find a fun forum

Goodbye

John

Duke

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 05:57:35 pm »
C'mon John...dont sulk, Phil is trying to do the best job he can...and I'm sure it's a difficult one sometimes. I expect he gets his brief from above anyway....it can seem over moderated sometimes, and God knows, when I have a bee in my bonnet, I could complain for England...but the fact still remains...there is a wealth of good stuff on here...let's shake and move on , eh ?

cleanthrough

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 06:11:47 pm »
Hello

I Just feel its a shame my posts seemed to be deleted because they mentioned the word "¬gay!

I am happy to kiss and make up
John

Philip Hanson

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 06:15:18 pm »
Your posts were deleted because you became abusive, as they would have been for anyone.

-Phil

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

Duke

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 06:17:41 pm »
mmm....anyway, moving on...

Duke

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 06:33:52 pm »
enough of the 'chip on the shoulder' stuff. Tell us about your round, challenges and methods of work , etc. Share some other (non Gay) relevant stuff with us...they're not a bad bunch of lads really...how do you work ? Customers...questions...even the odd hint or tip...do you use WFP or trad methods ?, what's your opinion of the WAHD legislation ?...whatever....where are you now, and where do you want to be in , say, 12 months time...c'mon, I just know there's more to you (and your partner) than this...give...

Philip Hanson

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 07:01:24 pm »
I've tidied these threads up now, after a conversation in the chatroom.

Alls well, ends well.

Now, back to those dogs...

John Lawton

Michael D

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 07:34:34 pm »
Hi all   
        I take my my Jack Russal to work, 99.99 of my custumers think Sally is a little star, but I know better. If im working inside she sits by the front door and waits, if im out shes not far away, she gets all the treats. If i leave her at home custumers will ask about her. I will admit I do enjoy having her with me, she never answers me back. And having sally with at work i don`t walk her around the block at night.

dennis buller

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 07:44:45 pm »
why not a nodding dog on your dash board, in my opinion if you take a young dog, that will distract you till she gets used to her new life has a window cleaners mate, go for a terrier about three that has been trained a little in obiediance,
DENNIS

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 08:54:26 pm »
go for a terrier about three that has been trained a little in obiediance,

I'm not sure about a terrier.  I've been bit by one, and chased up a ladder by two others.  I'm predjudiced towards them!

We've decided to take a trip down to the local cat and dog shelter and get the smallest; saddest little puppy there; and call it Graham. 

Honest!

Duke

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 09:00:19 pm »
ooooh...

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2005, 08:37:46 pm »
go for a terrier about three that has been trained a little in obiediance,

I'm not sure about a terrier.  I've been bit by one, and chased up a ladder by two others.  I'm predjudiced towards them!

We've decided to take a trip down to the local cat and dog shelter and get the smallest; saddest little puppy there; and call it Graham. 

Honest!

I'm getting a Corgi crossed with a Toy Fox Terrier, called Scooby, from the local RSPCA.  We've done the visiting thing; every evening since Monday.  We've a 'home check' tomorrow; and Scooby's getting 'done' tomorrow also.  I wanted him intact; but they won't let him out without the snip!

I'll see how well I can train the little guy up; before I take him to work.

rosskesava

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2005, 11:06:10 pm »

Are you still going to call him Graham?

I had to laugh that Wor Lass (for any one else reading this - Wor Lass is a foreign language for 'Missus' as spoken by those weirdo's from up North where nothing is as it should be) worked the fastest she'd ever worked just to get down the doggie place and go goo goo at the doggies (mutts) there.

Cheers

windolene

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 06:52:57 am »
AM TAKING RINGO MY JACK RUSSEL TO A NEW JOB TODAY WHICH HAVE A RESIDENT POOCH OF THERE OWN. HAVE JUST TOLD HIM ANY GROWLING FROM HIM & HE WILL HAVE TO WATCH ME PLAYING WITH THEIR DOG FROM THE BACK SEAT OF THE CAR.

kEVIN.

Ray Pickering

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 11:05:44 am »
I've had dogs for most of my married life.
It's nice to have a bit of company & a dog to guard the motor--but do realise how hot it is inside a car or van even with a window partly opened?
I think you will be worrying about the dog all the time & get nothing done!!
PS this is a brilliant Forum!!! 
Ray.

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2005, 06:06:04 pm »
Dogs are dirty creatures, only just in the lead of cats.

I agree; but both have personality. Besides, just because something is 'dirty', doesn't mean it's bad!

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2005, 07:20:35 pm »
 ;)I had 2 dogs one was a old english sheep dog.and the other was a Doberman.he was great he died on my girls birthday,what a bummer :(
sorry to bring the gay bit back,I am sure my dogs were ;D :-X
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

windolene

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2005, 08:44:40 pm »
Hi Ray,

Your very right about cars getting to hot for dogs, mine is 90% of the time out in customers gardens with me. Today was very hot, I always make sure he is well watered & cared for. If he has to stay in car I always leave windows open. Now the hot weather is here I will leave him at home much more.

Kevin.

Ray Pickering

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2005, 10:17:12 pm »
Kevin.
It's not just the heat--the dog could be tied up outside the motor but i reckon with a new dog it would be constantly barking & i dont think there would be much work done-- if it was me i'd leave the dog at home & work on my own like i've done for years.
Ray.

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2005, 10:41:35 pm »
Dog Lovers,

Don't worry, I'm Japanese, not Korean.  I wouldn't do anything that my dog may find stressful; like eating him.

I understand that dogs (and children) dehydrate in cars in the Summer.

The dog will be left at home, and not by itself either.

rosskesava

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2005, 10:53:22 pm »

Dogs have more personality than cats, and perhaps mor personality than some window cleaners, so I would recommend employing dogs to do come canvassing for more work.

There's plenty of dogs around where I live and as for them working, forget it. They have their puppies to look after. ;D

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2005, 09:09:41 pm »
Hi all,

Just to finish off this thread - a quick update!  I picked up the dog this morning from the local RSPCA.  It cost £60.00 - you'd think they'd be giving them away, and that was after the home inspection!

It is a sad little dog, looks like half corgi, half fox terrier.  Very gentle with other dogs and kids.  He's called 'Scooby'.  I did want to change it's name to Graham (I asked the RSPCA woman about a name change and she said NOW would be the ideal time), but my daughter won't let me.  I even offered her £10 as a bribe to call Scooby, Graham.

No chance.

Anyway; unless I can train the little blighter up, to stay when he's told to stay and come when he's told to come; he's staying in the house - and won't be out working with me! I've four books on dogs from the library; and I'm wading through them now.

Only problem is he's become my shadow.  I can't even pee without him following me.  So it looks like he's not going to be happy left alone for five or six hours a day (Wor Lasses working time); so I might have to give my missis a week or two off work till he gets a bit more confident! >:(

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2005, 10:48:30 pm »
Gawwwwd, the thought of it - being trailed everywhere by some slimey-nosed fur-bag for several years with no end in sight...

Reminds me of Tina Turner and her girl thingy.  (cat)

Where's your 'heart' Graham?  The 'little guy' is curled up just beside me, buried into a  bean bag.

His previous owner had no time for him, and all he does is want to please me.  (Not in a 'John Clean-Through Vince Cobold' type of way mind.)

Soften up a bit mate. I've travelled extensively during my years in the army, and one of the things I've always been proud of, is the British love of animals.  No matter where we went; we rescued and adopted the local 'under dogs'.

In 1993 I was in Bosnia at it's worst and the the British Army rescued 'Compo'; a brown bear that was kept in dismal conditions by a restaraunt.  It was called 'Compo' because squaddies fed it 'Composite Rations' to keep it alive.

Unfortunately, it was a major operation to get the bear, transport it to Split Airport where it was flown to Italy to an organisation called lib-bear-ty (obviously a play on words).

Then the press kicked up a stink because Bosnians were murdering each other left right and centre, whilst the British Army rescued a bloody bear.

You just can't win!  But I personally felt pleased about the whole business!