rosskesava

Re: Dealing with 'challenging customers'
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2005, 12:06:59 am »
Hi Invicta Cleaning Group

I agree 100%.

I think that these things come back to you but that is not the reason why we have some underpriced OAP's.

They are the ones who always are respectfull, who appreciate their windows being done and who offer the cup of tea and usually have spent their lives working and have principles and morals. Something that is missing in a lot of society.

Cheers

Londoner

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2005, 08:13:29 am »
Don't you think that life would be very dull without these characters?
I have quite a few "odd" customers who have their own funny little ways but I won't take rudeness or insults.

If you want to meet really rude customers you want to try driving a taxi. Then you'll know what challanging customers are really like.

Duke

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2005, 02:34:19 pm »
I agree...I used to do it here in Cheltenham.....if if it wasn't the customers it would be the endless speed bumps, traffic lights, one way systems...double yellow's , mini roundabouts......in fact, if you didn't have to carry anything...it's quicker to walk.. :(

rosskesava

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2005, 10:02:08 pm »
Try working on the railways as a conductor if you want to know about rude people. When I done that job and you speak to maybe upwards of 2 000 people a day (checking tickets) you get to know about the great British public. Add to that the drunks, yobs, idiots, nut cases, wierdo's and the wealthy 'I pay your wages' brigade then give me window cleaning any time.

Cheers

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2005, 07:10:27 pm »
Try working on the railways as a conductor if you want to know about rude people.

Try being a squaddie at the mercy of railway conductors!  Some of them don't know their bottom from their elbow.

As a young squaddie I travelled regularly by train.  When asking "what platform to get to 'such and such destination'", questions, I always used to ask three conductors the same question and then take a mean average of the answers.  Even then I often ended up at the wrong destination. 

I've always been too thick to understand the hieroglyphic tablets known as a train timetable.

Normally, railway conductors are masters at avoiding eye-contact and then when you get their attention; they can't speak English very well.  And definitely can't understand Geordie accents. 

Some, when asked a question they don't know; just shrug their bloody shoulders!  'I only work here, Mate'.

My point is, a vast majority of Railway Conductors are just ruddy awful at what they do.  If we ran our window cleaning businesses with the same attitude your average conductor has; we'd be bust.

I've never been rude to one though.  My level of expectation with railway companies has always been low; therefore I have never been disappointed.

On a final note; I'd like to say; 'All is forgiven.  Bring back British Rail', even if they did poison me once with a chicken sandwich and ruined a Christmas leave.

rosskesava

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 12:13:55 am »
Hi Windows (Tosh)

Where I worked was not an inter city depot. Inter City conductors used to cover extremely large area and for them to know platforms is unlikely to say the least. Having said that, there is no excuse. If I didn't know I would say so politely. Even if I had to repeat myself 20 times and the person wouldn't understand I couldn't 'just go' and find out.

As far as my experience goes of being a conductor down here way down south is that most tried to do a good job and most were more than tolerant.

Untill privatisation that is and for some time before as the whole thing started to affect the industry before the dreaded 'P' word became fact - maybe around 1986 .... when the back biting started and the threat of 'after privatisation YOU will not be employed'.

Then after privatisation, because of appauling treatment and constant threats by bad managers who were crawling over each others backs to get on, most conductors ended up not giving a sh*t. By that time I was driving so I was out of it. Untill restructuring for train drivers meant even longer hours and more unsocial hours don't worry about safety along with the threats of 'if you can't do you job then we'll find someone who can'.

Tiredness is a killer on the motorways but not if you are a train driver, you are just threatened with loosing your job and stuff safety and the lives that could be lost as a result.

The old BR rule was that if you are uncertain, don't do it and no one will take you to task, its best you do that, but after privatisation it was 'you are trained to do that so if you value your job then do it' otherwise you will be disciplined in a most unfair manner with all types of trivia taken into account.

I left the job because my conscience got so strong that I could kill people that I was not prepared to carry on. I only now go by train as a last resort.

There were some real Hitler type conductors and ticket inspectors who got off being as stroppy as they could be for no reason but most of them would pack the job in after being beaten up for the umpteenth time.

My only real problem I had as a conductor with squaddies when drunk was them finding what pocket the warrant for travel was in. We got 5% commission and a lot of warrants did not specify routes or type of tickets so me being mercanary, would issue the most expensive ticket permitted on the warrant. Sometimes I would make an 'accidental' mistake and issue 1st class tickets.

Anyway, by the time I left the railways I did not give a hoot either because of the constant bullying, threats, and being expected to work and not get paid for it while my boss did not work week ends, banks holidays or unsocial hours, had never ever driven a train, only cared about how he looked in front of his managers and who was a total idiot anyway.

But ............. window cleaning. No nutters, no idiots, no yobs, no having to deal with druggies, fights, threats, real abuse, unsocial hours, over long hours, being jet lagged every day, being shattered from the hours, and above all, no having to deal with all that on your own with no back up and with a company who did not give a da*m.

Give me window cleaning any day. I enjoy my work now.

Cheers

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 07:58:21 pm »
But ............. window cleaning. No nutters, no idiots, no yobs, no having to deal with druggies, fights, threats, real abuse, unsocial hours, over long hours, being jet lagged every day, being shattered from the hours, and above all, no having to deal with all that on your own with no back up and with a company who did not give a da*m.

Give me window cleaning any day. I enjoy my work now.

Cheers

I quite agree mate.  No short notice deployments.  No courses you don't want to do.  No competing in the rat race with a boss who writes the appraisals.  No getting shot at.  No bombs thrown in your direction.  No carrying out policies that you don't agree with.

We have a whale of a time!

rosskesava

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 10:04:50 pm »
No bombs thrown in your direction.

That put things into perspective doesn't it.

No getting shot at.

So does that.

Cheers

Ross

dennis buller

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 11:56:48 pm »
Just left the submarine service ;D three months under water and a shift system of 6 hours on 6 hours off. I was a drunk on the train ;D
i will never work in those conditions again
Dennis

cleanthrough

Re: Dealing with 'challenging customers' New
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2005, 03:13:52 pm »
Hello

'challenging customers'

I chucked my bucket of water over the door, window and owner today as she accused me of kicking her wheelie bin over and said she would call the police!.I never touched her f****** bin.

When she realised what I did to her I said, ( she looked gobsmaked)
" Call the police now you daft old cow"

I am waiting for the door to knock

John

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2005, 10:13:10 pm »
I chucked my bucket of water over the door, window and owner today as she accused me of kicking her wheelie bin over and said she would call the police!.I never touched her f**king bin.

John,

Well done, Mate, for an extremely well thought out and delivered response.

Why didn't you give her a good thumping too?

Regards,

Tosh.

PS.  Do you wear a baseball cap sideways, or at an angle that points the brim towards the sky?  What about foot-wear?  White trainers by any chance?

PPS.  It's people like this that act like thugs...

Why don't you try to act a little more, well, like a human being.  If someone complains... speak to them about it.  Convince them with your intelligence that you wouldn't do such a thing.  Now that customer thinks that you're not only a 'Chav window cleaner who kicked over her bin'; but a thug too.

Try growing up a bit and behaving!

PPPS.  This is a picture of Gaza.  Honest!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2005, 10:20:47 pm »
John-cleanthrough:-

Did your customer do anything else to provoke such a severe response from you? On the face of it it seems very excessive and unprofessional.
It's a game of three halves!

gaza

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2005, 10:24:52 pm »
VERY GOOD ,NOT BAD LOOKING FOR 50 AM I ,WHEN THAT KID WAS BORN THE MID WIFE SLAPPED HIS DAD,BET HE HAD SHUTTERS ON HIS PRAM,AS SEEN ON BRAT CAMP THAT ONE.
1 ALL  WINDOWS

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

gaza

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2005, 10:37:52 pm »
windows :NOT HAVING A POP AT ME ARE WE?about me thumping a customer after 4 yrs of putting up with him,your right i should not have clonked him after all these yrs ,should have done it in the 1st week  ;D pmsl

Saw him the other week at least could have kept his head up,anyway Iwas wrong for doing it,but got my eye on a window cleaner whose under cut me by1.50 squid watch this space.
 GAZA

IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

rosskesava

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2005, 12:26:47 am »
It's easiest to just walk away.

When that customer pops up into your head just say to yourself over and over again 'shut the f*ck up'.

That mental image with all it's associated verbal soon vanishes if you do that.

I am not adverse to thumping the occassional person but not for something so trivial.

The last person I wallped was a 15/16 year old yob (chav) who spat in my face at a bus stop after I said something about him gobbing at a lady who complained he was spitting all over the pavement around her feet.

At least have a good reason.

Then forget it.

As for throwing water over someone as John-cleanthrough did, havn't we all been tempted to do that or similar?  At least it would be near on impossible for the customer to prove they were assaulted with water and it would not be a Police thing anyway, it would need to be a private prosecution for common assault as no law has been broken

I don't think I ever would do that to a customer but I still don't think that makes him a chav.

Gaza mate, admit it, you love the agro.............  ;D

Dunno.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2005, 06:14:23 pm »
It's easiest to just walk away.

When that customer pops up into your head just say to yourself over and over again 'shut the f*ck up'.

That mental image with all it's associated verbal soon vanishes if you do that.

I am not adverse to thumping the occassional person but not for something so trivial.

The last person I wallped was a 15/16 year old yob (chav) who spat in my face at a bus stop after I said something about him gobbing at a lady who complained he was spitting all over the pavement around her feet.

At least have a good reason.

Then forget it.

As for throwing water over someone as John-cleanthrough did, havn't we all been tempted to do that or similar?  At least it would be near on impossible for the customer to prove they were assaulted with water and it would not be a Police thing anyway, it would need to be a private prosecution for common assault as no law has been broken

I don't think I ever would do that to a customer but I still don't think that makes him a chav.

Gaza mate, admit it, you love the agro.............  ;D

Dunno.

Not so.  I know someone who threw some beer (not glass) over somebody and got nicked for assault many years ago by the police.  However, it might have helped his cause if the guy he threw the beer over wasn't a copper.  You don't have to actually touch someone for it to count as assault.

denzle

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2005, 09:23:03 pm »
Judging by some of the posting on this topic, i can see why our profession is looked down upon by many people.
The public take us all for a bunch of cowboys with no manners or brains, it seems many here are doing their utmost to prove them right.
If the guy that threw the water over the woman worked for me.... he'd be looking for a new job as we speak.

Denzle

Paul Coleman

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2005, 09:29:24 am »
Judging by some of the posting on this topic, i can see why our profession is looked down upon by many people.
The public take us all for a bunch of cowboys with no manners or brains, it seems many here are doing their utmost to prove them right.
If the guy that threw the water over the woman worked for me.... he'd be looking for a new job as we speak.

Denzle

Personally, if I find a customer that troublesome to my peace of mind, I just don't work for them any more.  Sometimes I will explain why, sometimes I won't.
I once had a customer who described herself as "fussy".  I put it to her that she just set a higher standard than most in an attempt to butter her up a bit.  However, after a year, I had had four complaints about my work from my entire round.  Three of them were from her.  When she complained about paying me for it, I told her to keep the money and suggested she find someone else to clean for her.  There were two people in that conversation and I was the only one that was civil.
It's *very* important, IMO, to remember that it's business NOT personal.

rosskesava

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2005, 07:57:26 pm »

Isn't that maybe a bit of a generalisation?

My experience of the public is not we are a bunch of cowboys without manners or brains.

On what basis do you write that we are percieved by the public that way and a few postings by a few is not neccessarily the majority view.

Almost everyone has a 'snapping point'. Some walk away, some scream and shout and some thump the person. That is human nature and happens in almost every proffession to one degree or another.

Hi Shiner

Not so.  I know someone who threw some beer (not glass) over somebody and got nicked for assault many years ago by the police.  However, it might have helped his cause if the guy he threw the beer over wasn't a copper.  You don't have to actually touch someone for it to count as assault.

Doing almost anything to a copper is against the law but common assault is different in that it is covered by civil law unless there are marks, bruises etc. The thing about just touching someone is assault is rubbish.

Throwing water over someone in a dispute could only be assault if it resulted in any type of threat to life or limb. Getting wet is hardly huge in the scheme of things and is experienced sometimes anyway if we are out in the rain unprepaired. 

If you done that to someone who was an electrician when working then that would be very different or if you threw water over a salesman then he would not be able to carryout his lawfull trade but someone standing at their front door?

having said that, I couldn't be bothered to throw water over someone. Seems a bit childish. Unless it was someone I work with, then that's worthwhile and a good laugh too.

Cheers

Ross

simonf

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2005, 12:23:35 am »

Denzle

theres irony for you denzle. it seems this particular idiot does work for you after all yet you all think its fine for him to keep his job  ::)