Dealing with 'challenging customers'
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:51:07 pm »
I've a few 'challenging customers' which in plain speak is a euphamism for those clients who're a pain in the proverbials.

Don't get me wrong; I'm tough in that if a customer messes me about they're dropped like a hot potato; and I wouldn't be adverse to a little remonstration either.

However; I've a couple I can't really drop.  My first is a woman with a motor-nuerone disease.  She's totally incapacitated and can just about talk.  The first time I cleaned her large and expensive property; she asked me to clean the inside of her kitchen window.  I did.  She asked how much.  I said free of charge.

Now every month she asks me to clean a different area of the inside of her house.  I never charge her.  And she still asks.  I reckon every six months she's had a free inside clean.

My second is an elderly woman; looks very sweet like your granny; but is a complete 'witch'.  I always do a perfect job (because she moans I never do); and she always complains the following month.  I've even told her that if she notices something wrong, she's to phone me straight away, so I'll turn up and have a look.  She never does; just complains the following month. 

It's almost a game now.  I've even stamped to attention, saluted her and requested that she inspect her windows there and then.  She didn't take me up on the offer; but complained the following month.

I would drop her too; but I think she does it because she's senile.

Then I've another elderly customer who doesn't get out much, doesn't see many people and tells me what deep joy she has when we turn up to do her windows.  Just so she can talk to someone.  We chew the fat, but I know I'm not a public service and I'm not earning while we discuss how the weather is going.

Have you lot any 'challenging customers'; why do you keep them; and how do you deal with them?

gaza

Re: Dealing with 'challenging customers'
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 09:15:36 pm »
I had one challenging customer on my round I DEALT WITH HIM MY WAY .put the post on the forum,it got taken off because someone complained about it. If your reading this now you know who you are.
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 09:30:14 pm »
I had one challenging customer on my round I DEALT WITH HIM MY WAY .put the post on the forum,it got taken off because someone complained about it. If your reading this now you know who you are.

Gaza,

I couldn't do what you did to my elderly and disabled customers, Mate.

That would be bang out of order!

I'm a Geordie, so I'm not adverse to a bit of violence; but there's always a better method of solving a problem; even if it just means stating your case and walking away.  You should operate a 'No thumping policy' with regards to your customers.

Let's keep fisticuffs out of work and in its proper place (which is closing time; outside the taxi rank).

(Blimey - my 500th post - just noticed)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 09:38:36 pm »
Gaza, if I remember correctly, your challenging customer situation was completely different from windows_chepstow's. ;D

Tosh? It's a tough one mate - but as long as you've only got a handful and you're sure you're they're not swinging the lead I'd continue to do them - it's what will make your family respect you - and your colleagues too!

Mind you I'm sure Graham Gould will provide some excellent advice on this if he reads this thread! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

s.hughes

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 10:29:35 pm »
Its true to say that we all have them.
I've a customer, really old girl, nice as anything. Only problem is that she asks me to clean a few extra windows inside for her. No problem, she then asks the price, no problem. So ok, right. But the problem is that she will pay me and then ask for a few mor windows or mirrors to be done. Then what? Shes already paid me and I had to stand there by her kitchen table while she counted out the coins from her jar.
No problem?? Yes she's a problem. The last window cleaner pushed her patio door out of place cause she annoyed him so much. Of course I dont belief in that kind of action so I only clean hers when shes called for the 3rd time.

Steveyboy

danny mckim

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 11:08:46 pm »
We have a few trying customers, but here is a story that really proves you should always  give someone a second chance. About 6 weels ago i done the womans house as usual i done the inside of her patio door.While doing this she phoned her husband to see if he was in the area so he could pay me as she had no change. He wasnt around so we agreed i would pick it up next time(fortnight later). This time she wasnt in bit when i called back she told my son she paid the last time, when i went back and questioned this she told me i could dance for my money. When leaving i told her to ask her husband when he came home and i wont b back.Next week i met her husband (nice guy) who said she apoligizes and would i go back as she wasnt well at the time. I told him we never return to people who badmouth us but i would consider it. Next fortnight i cleaned them, nobody in so put a ticket through the door. When the boys went to do them on Thursday neighbour came out and said the lady had died. She was only in her fifties I am glad now that i went back.

gaza

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 11:58:44 pm »
WINDOWS CHEPSTOW:I m from a small town in Lincolnshire were men are men and the women are glad of it,we speak as we find,and react as we find.
I came to a city and made them dance to my tune[PRO D J FOR 17 YRS] COVERING THE TOP VENUES;
My customers will dance to my tune else they get of the dance floor,suffer idiots no ,old/disabled people Im putty in their hands I love my old dears and they I hope love me always doing that little extra for them.
If i can make only 1 of them happy for a few moments then Ive done my job.they are a breed apart.
We should respect what they did for us etc,except the little tow rags on the estate I work on make their finale few years a life of hell.
Ive been attacked by these tow rags 6 off them with golf clubs
and Im just doing my job,defended myself with two crook locks
and a screw driver so dont tell me violence doesnt pay cus If I wasnt able to defend myself against these types of low lifes who grow engines in their front gardens my old people would still be peering out of their curtains afraid to go out,they now know not to mess with people who clean windows,Im no hero but Im fed up of low lifes who take and not give,lets hope the next govt sorts it out big style.
SORRY TO GO ON BUT THESE OLD PEOPLE ARE REALLY SCARED TO GO OUT SO I ASK THEM IF THEIR IS ANYTHING THEY WANT FROM THE LOCAL SHOP AS IM JUST GOING [EVEN IF IM NOT] SO DONT TELL ME ABOUT SERVICE!
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

williamx

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 05:10:13 pm »
What you can do is to tell each of these customers that because of increased costs in running your business, you will have to increase your rates for cleaning.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 08:01:32 pm »
What you can do is to tell each of these customers that because of increased costs in running your business, you will have to increase your rates for cleaning.

I'm happy with what I'm charging them.  I think it's just good to have a whinge now and again; to others who understand what I'm moaning on about.  It's very, what do you call it... cathartic! (I think).

But there's got to be others out there with worse customers than mine.  Philip (when he was known as 'Silly' had a Witch!  Not a nasty old woman, but a proper Witch).

dai

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 09:08:49 pm »
I love my old dears God bless em. I wish I had a round full of them. They come out to pay when I'v just started the job, they pay for the old boy next door if he's out, they always pay cash and always have it ready.
I had one old dear that offered to pay my fare to Indonesia. I had to go out there and get married before our immigration people would let my wife come here. Of course I declind her kind offer. Now they all make a big fuss of their
new 4ft 9" Indonesian w/c.
I think a lot of us are social workers to some extent and we are all on the same conveyer belt of life. As I said I love them. I just wish some of the younger ones
shared their values. Dai

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 12:19:03 pm »
Hi Windows - I am a Geordie, like your good self - have had a couple of customers like that but, almost invariably, they are those who are more housebound and tend to scrutinise the glass more than the average customer. I am soft and love old people and am lucky to still have my parents around - so when its a job for the oldies I forget about hourly rates or the next job or my electric bill and hope that they think kindly of their nice window cleaner. If they don't, and start to complain, I call back around midnight and put a few windows out, just to let em know ;D

dennis buller

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 03:54:44 pm »
Being new to window cleaning< I have the time for a cuppa with these old people who dont go out and they do recomend me to there friends. i will try anext month and put them last has i only go home to my squaw who can out nag them,out moan and wants my money.... in all honesty i do to a certain extent like to chat and work.(i have only one customer complain, his english was very poor and i couldn't understand him.) the daughter to one of my oap's got me to clean her house, she praised me for the way i talk to her parents. TOSH an old saying nice to be important even nicer to be nice
DENNIS

UBA1

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 04:46:46 pm »
WINDOWS CHEPSTOW:I m from a small town in Lincolnshire were men are men and the women are glad of it,we speak as we find,and react as we find.
I came to a city and made them dance to my tune[PRO D J FOR 17 YRS] COVERING THE TOP VENUES;
My customers will dance to my tune else they get of the dance floor,suffer idiots no ,old/disabled people Im putty in their hands I love my old dears and they I hope love me always doing that little extra for them.
If i can make only 1 of them happy for a few moments then Ive done my job.they are a breed apart.
We should respect what they did for us etc,except the little tow rags on the estate I work on make their finale few years a life of hell.
Ive been attacked by these tow rags 6 off them with golf clubs
and Im just doing my job,defended myself with two crook locks
and a screw driver so dont tell me violence doesnt pay cus If I wasnt able to defend myself against these types of low lifes who grow engines in their front gardens my old people would still be peering out of their curtains afraid to go out,they now know not to mess with people who clean windows,Im no hero but Im fed up of low lifes who take and not give,lets hope the next govt sorts it out big style.
SORRY TO GO ON BUT THESE OLD PEOPLE ARE REALLY SCARED TO GO OUT SO I ASK THEM IF THEIR IS ANYTHING THEY WANT FROM THE LOCAL SHOP AS IM JUST GOING [EVEN IF IM NOT] SO DONT TELL ME ABOUT SERVICE!

Blinding post, top fella ;)

rosskesava

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 11:41:12 pm »
Hi UBA1

Sorry to change the topic.

You post some good points some of which I hadn't considered.

Has anyone taken you up on your offer yet to be shown how to improve how they clean windows?

Cheers

Ross

rosskesava

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 08:09:37 pm »
Two months ago one lady asked me if I'd do the insides of her patio doors. As there were only 2 of them I done them.

Last month she asked if I could do the inside of her back door.

This month she asked if I'd do the insides of her kitchen windows.

I was thinking of beating her to a pulp with golf clubs and a crow bar but instead I said each window would be a pound extra.

She then said is each window on the outside a pound and I said that by and large it was. She then asked for me not to do her front door and loo window and do her two inside kitchen windows instead.

To be honest, I didn't know what to say so I just done them.

This increased the time taken from about 10 minutes for 3 of us to about 25 minutes with the other 2 waiting for me as I had to wait while she cleared all the stuff from the window ledges.

I always find those types of customers such a pain and arkward to deal with.

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 08:23:16 pm »
She then said is each window on the outside a pound and I said that by and large it was. She then asked for me not to do her front door and loo window and do her two inside kitchen windows instead.

Drop her, Mate, she's extracting the urine too much here.  She's probably laughing about it with her mates in her coffee circle, while drinking out of a mug, which she's making out of you and your generosity!

Honestly, mate; don't go back!

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 10:30:12 pm »
Hi Windows

Your right. Drop her.

I'm fine with the direct straight confrontation or someone who doesn't want to pay or who is sarcastic.

It's just these types of customers who somehow aren't rude but who take the p*ss which I only usually realise after I'm long gone.

Next month, our prices have just doubled for her and just for her.

Cheers

Duke

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 05:41:24 pm »
lol...I have one who only wants the tops done (I'll do the downstairs....but never does !)  ...anyway, a few weeks back...She decides she wanted her conservatory roof and sides done instead. Ok, sais I...did the job...then she thrust the fiver in my hand that I'd normally charge for the 5 upstairs windows, after I'd finished. It wasn't until I'd got to the next job and recovered from the shock that I realised how I'd been stitched up.....they aint that daft, old 'uns.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 09:15:25 pm »
I had a customer this evening while collecting...

'Are yu keeping okay?' I asked as this pensioner rummaged around, trying to pay me in change.

'No, I've cancer of the bladder', she replied with a smile.

Why couldn't she just say she was 'fine', and let me get on with my collection.  A cup of tea, twenty minutes and a heavy conversation about life, the universe and everything really delayed me getting home for a beer!

ICG

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 11:39:30 pm »
Actually, I quite like working for old dears. I can afford to loose a few minutes to chat with them. If I couldn't, then perhaps I'm in the wrong job.

They appreciate kindness, honesty, and a good chat! My old mum is now in a Nursing home, and some of the fellow guests there are in severe decline. That's life.

Enjoy it, respect it, and cherish it, and, cherish those who can no longer help themselves.