Simon Carter

My RO's not coping
« on: May 15, 2005, 11:53:08 am »
So far we've just about got by, but four of us are pulling on one RO & a static 1000 ltr. tank that is running 24/7 in order to keep up. I've just filled a bunch of cans over the weekend to allow it to keep filling.
What's the answer, especially when I add a fifth taking from it?. I don't need a second tank. I just need the fill time to speed up. Do I need a bigger RO & ditch the one I've got ( expensive mistake ),  do I need a second RO on the same tank?. With one feed I guess I'll need a plumber for that ?. Or is there some other way to speed the thing up ?.
Onwards and Upwards...

Old_Master

Re: My RO's not coping
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 12:15:44 pm »
You can add additional membranes and an extra pump to most Reverse Osmosis units to speed up production.
This will of course push up your maintenance costs as you will be using up the pre filtration and post DI capabilities more quickly.
But if you are able to supply four window cleaners the extra maintenance cost will be hardly an issue.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 07:40:03 am »
Hi Simon,

Have a look at our RHOMBUS Wizard at http://www.andwat.co.uk/acatalog/Reverse_osmosis_units.html  You can use your existing TDS meter, prefilter and DI, so all it will cost to be able to produce an extra 2500 litres a day is £490 + £20 carriage + VAT.

Yours, Andrew

Old_Master

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 12:27:08 pm »
Hi Andrew
I think you will agree,even with your new RHOMBUS Wizard you will use up the DI resin quicker if you are producing an extra 2500 litres a day therefore pushing up the ongoing maintenance costs on replacement resin.
Glyn

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 08:16:17 pm »
Hi,

Thanks, Glyn, you have a valid point there.  I've amended my previous posting.  Obviously, the more you produce, the greater your resin cost will be (and the resin costs of the Wizard/Merlin are higher than usual), but what a superb production rate for such a low investment!

Yours, Andrew

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:35:30 am »
Hi Andrew
I think you will agree,even with your new RHOMBUS Wizard you will use up the DI resin quicker if you are producing an extra 2500 litres a day therefore pushing up the ongoing maintenance costs on replacement resin.
Glyn

I agree with Andrew I've been running a Merlin for about 6 weeks now so far the resin is OK, I had the problem of my old RO being on 24/7 to keep up with usage, but now i just turn the tap on in the evening and by the morning the Merlin fairys have given me another 500+ ltrs of pure water (and thats on straight tap pressure)(no pump).
No more watching the holding tank,
No more keeping the pole's water flow low  to save water,
by being able to use a better flow of water up the pole = windows can be washed quicker = higher daily earnings = additional resin affordable.

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Simon Carter

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 11:34:03 am »
Got to up my water production this week. I'm fed up with watching my static system & fretting if there will not be enough water to go around.
Problem is, I don't even know what I've got. Just know I bought a 'starter system'. Came with absolutely no paper work whatsoever.
I'll be on to this in the morning, but obviously cost is an issue. Am I going to have to ditch what I have in favour of this RHOMBUS thing, or will an additional pump suffice. I hope so. I plan to provide small home units in future, so only need what I have to speed up by about a third to be ok.
Honest truth is that I'm not entirely a technophobe. It's just that this aspect bores me rigid. I want to build a business, not be stuck fuffing around with filters & pumps all day long. I just want something that does what it says on the can !. Reading this forum, it's clear that some of you enjoy this aspect of things.
Onwards and Upwards...

Old_Master

Re: My RO's not coping New
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 02:46:01 pm »
I think you bought your R/O from us Simon?
If so it is possible to add an extra membrane or switch the membranes to higher production ones that have just been introduced both of the above options would give you approx 30% more water a day.The approximate cost for three new membranes would be £150.00.
The alternative is a Merlin which we have for £290.00 but you will also need a DI tank with the merlin.
You could keep the existing system setup and run the merlin at the same time to give superfast water production.

What a terrible situation to be in,
you have gained so much work you have to upgrade your equipment ;D
Imagine what Richard Branson must feel like he bought a shop then another another and then he bought an Aircraft and oh my God he had to buy another one and another and another he must be depressed all the time with his sucess :D