maxcarpets

why so many??
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:46:15 pm »
Why are there so many people looking to start up now? It has to be the worst possible time EVER to think about starting up! I suppose the only bonus is that machines are cheap on ebay as more and more people start and fail??

Feeling a bit grumpy today!

Re: why so many??
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:54:40 pm »
i've noticed that lately, all i can think of is that people are getting made redundant and starting up small businesses with their money, noticed 2 new window cleaners round my way this week, a new carpet cleaner and a new mobile mechanic!!

markpowell

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:30:45 pm »
People are under the impression that they can buy a second hand machine and all equipment for £1000 get a few leaflets printed and delivered and bobs your uncle a £1000 a week in the pocket
Then it doesnt work out and within a couple of months they are gone.
This recession will get rid of all the s*%T and when things pick up we will all be better off.
cream floats to the top, or something like that.
Mark

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:35:40 pm »
here here!!

clinton

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 07:41:04 pm »
I worked through the last downturn in the 90s and was much stronger in the long run thankfully.

There is a lot of decent porties on ebay so guess they could not make it work must be hard for the newbies..

colin thomas

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:12:40 pm »
hi justin, have you been too busy to post lately or keeping a low profile!
nice to see you posting again.

colin
ps some think that it is a quick way to earn good money, they don't realise it takes a lot of graft and 2 or 3 years to start to get busy. most fall by the wayside after a few months.
colin thomas

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 09:03:23 pm »
Next week is my bleakest week since the beggining of the year despite huge marketing efforts. Hope it's just a blip >:(

I think people are thinking  What could I do with not much cash and no trade? ah carpet cleaning!

They would be better sitting back with a tinnie and learning HTML from what I can fathom. 8)

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 11:54:57 pm »
......and of course, these days the banks will take the blame when the start-up business goes bump!

Nothing then, of course, to do with the fact that they are under-capitalised, have no clients/work, don't know what they are doing, have no business acumen.....but it seemed like a great idea when they wrote down "carpet cleaning" on the back of a fAg packet......in the smoking area of the beer garden! ;D
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

maxcarpets

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:28:18 am »
Hi Colin,

Same as most I think, ticking over but not setting any records! I have been on but just looking. Hows things with you?

Cheers

Justin

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:29:57 am »
Hi justin, why does your web link take me back to your profile page ???

maxcarpets

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 04:31:17 pm »
Ask me one on sport?

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 04:44:26 pm »
who won the fa cup in 1939?

maxcarpets

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 05:08:09 pm »
Can I phone a friend?

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 05:14:22 pm »
your out of lifelines

derek west

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 05:21:59 pm »
portsmouth
derek

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 05:25:32 pm »
well done, of course 1930 was a better year regarding the fa cup, a great team won!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Goldfinch PCS

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 05:27:04 pm »
When they start loosing weight , they will soon realise they aren't carpet cleaners, they are slim fast junkies.

I think the reason so many are starting is because they think it's easy and they have all right to because of how the opportunity is normally sold. Make 35K p/t 75K f/t seen it in the papers all the time, Never have i seen the reality in an advert. Things like - some flats have no lifts, some dogs and cats aren't toilet trained, Amy and her chums do have their carpets cleaned(so watch out for needles), the machine has to be emptied several times, you might end up on hand and knees, furniture can be very heavy etc etc, - not all custies like to pay.

When they realise how tiring a day can be and how much effort and knowledge it takes to do a good enough job they quit. Leaving things right where they are. I am getting a machine from a guy who repairs and service them, he said come and have a look because the owners haven't been back since leaving them for repairs (over 6mths) - going up on Monday.
Goldfinch PCS
0800 612 9244
LTT PROmite(Altec) Member of - IICRC
www.goldfinchpcs.co.uk