Mike Halliday

why so slow?
« on: December 16, 2007, 10:35:37 am »
as an off shoot of the January marketing topic I'd like too ask why is January & February so bad for some carpet cleaners? if we can sort out the answer to this we can more effectively plan our marketing.

so are people skint after Xmas?

do they think its not worth having their carpets cleaned in winter, as they will just get dirty quicker?

do they think they need to leave the windows open to dry the carpets and they don't want to in winter?

why is Jan & Feb so bad ?

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Joe H

Re: why so slow?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:48:26 am »
Partially because December is usually so busy.
There are some who dont see the need to have their carpets cleaned-full stop.
Thats a potential market but how is it identified?
Some of those who do see the need make us rush around like idiots in December.
Then they invite there "long lost" relatives around to tread the mince pies into the carpet and spill the wine etc.
Perhaps we should offer within the December clean a return in Jan to do a traffic lane clean.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:53:54 am »
so if there a natural amount of carpet cleaning throughout the year?  but we use up more of our share in Nov & Dec, so to simplify it:

there are 20 customers a month for all of us but in Nov & Dec we get 30 customers which means in Jan & Feb we only get 10 a month.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

robert stubbs

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:40:44 am »
    I find Businesses that do a substantial trade over the Christmas period will have money to spend,so I aim at them . I had a good January last year , cleaning during the quite period for them and have booked in again.
    I have a Theatre,three small Hotels and  a Building society to clean in January,all from this sort of marketing,aiming  at Businesses that do well over the Christmas period.

Regards Rob

carpet guy

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:57:50 am »
Well done R Stubbs just proving the point, that " you need to go and find them " as they might not know you  or know what you do, or realise they need you.

maxcarpets

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 02:39:37 pm »
I'll say it again, have a January Sale like everybody else. Jan is my 2nd best month of the year, but you have to work hard.

Cheers!

Justin

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 03:28:58 pm »
Rob

(aiming at Businesses that do well over the Christmas period.)

You have a point but a lot depends on their fiscal year. Hate their year-end not very well plained.   :( >:(

Mike

Could be down to weather (majority) but on another plain utility bills dark nights and cold.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Neil Grainger

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 03:35:22 pm »
Thats what I am doing but some dont like my ideas, the good thing is somebody who knows this business inside out rang me up today to say it was not a bad idea.

Once again Dave (Liahona) thanks for taking the time to call me this morning, its was much appreciated.

David_Annable

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:39:09 pm »
Hi

I think it is partly because Nov/Dec are so besy that we all forget to market in time for the slower months.

And partly because we like to have a bit of a rest in the winter.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

maxcarpets

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 07:32:46 pm »
How's the marketing going Neil? it always works for me ( Jan sale ) I've already got Feb advertising sorted. I always, always plan ahead. As soon as Xmas is out the way I'll start on spring clean specials for March.

Cheers!

Justin

maxcarpets

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:37:51 pm »
I should add that every month on top of YP TL Website etc I make sure at least 50,000 homes see our advert, this way you can have a different offer every month. So on top of my customer base another 50k + hoes will see my 25% off Jan Sale.

Cheers

Justin

maxcarpets

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 05:39:08 pm »
homes not hoes