Chris R

diesel /Kerosene burner ?(water heater)
« on: March 18, 2004, 11:40:19 pm »
What are they and how would you use them? I was surprised to read (recoil posting) that they have to be plugged in.
thanks
Staffordshire

John_Flynn

Re: diesel /Kerosene burner ?(water heater)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:46:48 pm »
The burner needs the electricity to provide the spark that ignites the diesel/kerosene.

Over to you Mr Halliday tell the lad how thay work :-[ :-[ :-[
I get better looking each day!!

Len Gribble

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 12:20:39 am »
John

Being a portable system It’s not how they work that concerns me it the fuel they use within a confined space example Canary Wharf 34th floor

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 12:50:29 am »
You need electricty to power a fan that puts oxygen into the combustion chamber & for the ignition spark, but the amount of power needed is very small you can actually use a converter and run it off the van battery

they arn't portable and are used with truckmounted units or for portables that stay in the van.

they are unbeatable for producing hot water, even the biggest truckmount cannot match the temp at such high flow rate  they produce (140' at 21L/M)

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 12:52:04 am »
I think they would be used to heat water tanks in your van, I cannot imagine taking an oil burner into a building.

Nigel_W

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 12:59:05 am »
Mick,

How much do they cost and where do you get them from?

Are they smelly?

Are they difficult to plumb in?

Many thanks

Nigel

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 02:02:19 am »
Mike

Not knowing this type of unit when I see a set of wheels on a unit I assume it’s a potable; Yes assumptions make fools of you and I

Chris and the rest all units need some form of starting power gone are the days of the crank handle

Len

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 09:05:51 am »
They cost about a grand, you can buy them from a couple of companies eg: Tech-clean of doncaster & H2O tec ltd of melton mowbery

they plumb in with ease, a short solution line out of the extractor into the burner and then your solution line goes into the house.

the only bad thing is you need to vent the fumes out of the van.

Mike

John_Flynn

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 10:01:05 am »
Len I would give you the job on the 34th floor of Canary Wharf, feathers make me sneeze. 8) 8) 8)
I get better looking each day!!

gwrightson

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 05:49:25 pm »
arnt you thinking of selling yours mike, i though u wanted some thing smaller , as you have the pressure cleaner to contend with, or are you getting a bigger van  ;) well remember im on the look out for a burner,so bear that in mind
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

mark_roberts

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 05:56:39 pm »
I've seen Micks burner in action but I couldnt see him for the cloud of steam!!!

Mick, can smaller burners be bought and did you have to adapt it any to suit carpet cleaning.

Also what is the fuel consumption of it.

thanks
Mark

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 06:12:24 pm »
they are a bit bulky, about the size of a Ninja or cheyanne.

it use about £8 of diesal a week.

you have to disconect the flow switch and control it with the thermostat so it bypasses into the water tank this pre-heats the water.

I'm going to Cleantec tommorrow to buy another pressure washer, they do a burner that is a bit smaller so I might be tempted ;)

Mike

brucie

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 12:19:47 am »
Whats wrong with hot water from the kitchen tap?

Dave Ingram

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 09:28:18 pm »
Nought till it runs out!
Regards Dave

Len Gribble

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 09:47:23 pm »
Dave you forgot add what hot water!