Bernd

Wicking on Needle Felt Carpet
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:24 pm »
I often have to clean Neddle Felt or Needle Punch carpets with lots of coffee or spill stains.  How do you prevent wicking in this situations?

Yesterday i cleaned 400 mē in some rooms and hallways in a sports hotel. The carpet was installed on wood floor! It was a old castle. Encaped it with my Orbot, Microfiber pads and Superzorbs but some stains wicked back.  I told the customer that it could happen .

How do you handle the stains to prevent wicking? Do you pre spray them? I noticed if i am using only a bit moisture, i only can make a little  difference.-the stains are still visible...if a use more solution, the stains are disappearing- but wick back, although i extracted the moisture with lots of pads till the floor was dry and a little bit warm!

Do you have Needle Punch carpets in the UK and how do you handle stains  to prevent wick back  with low moisture methods?

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

Re: Wicking on Needle Felt Carpet
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 10:18:48 pm »
Where you based Bernd? Nice to see you again.

I'm no expert but perhaps you try "flooding" the specific spill areas then extracting. In effect you would be diluting the problems  and/ or bringing all the residual spill to the surface rather than. Just reactivating the spillage. Them once extracted you could then bonnet to dry off.

I'm assuming most needle punch carpets will be synthetic and as such don't want to "hang onto" stains and therefore HWE would be the most effective way of dealing with specific areas.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:36:44 pm »
It's a trial and error thing, Roger could be correct in saying that the carpet may need flushing or by force drying with air movers then you can control any wicking.

Roger do you fancy a lads 'curry'?

neil 47

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:05:09 pm »
Use dry granules in the areas that wick back
IICRC

Bernd

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:58:01 am »
Thanks for all yourf fast replies!

Flushing out the areas would be a problem in this case...the thin Needle Punch carpet was installed on wood. Could give some new problems when uisng to much water. Dry granulates could help...i tried it once but could not vaccum all the granulates out of the Needle Punch!

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 03:29:13 pm »
Shaun

Did you get my text?

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

elliott cleaning

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 08:50:56 pm »
Bernd - as far as I recall you don't use HWE but only encap/LM.   Would suggest you treat all coffee stains with an oxidiser - allow to dwell for a while and then follow up ŵith your normal encap procedure.

Bernd

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »
Bernd - as far as I recall you don't use HWE but only encap/LM.   Would suggest you treat all coffee stains with an oxidiser - allow to dwell for a while and then follow up ŵith your normal encap procedure.

Yes, you are right. I only use Encap/ LM and have  a small extractor, kind of upholstery cleaner. Will try different things and the idea with the oxidiser.  I don't have the problems on other kind of carpets- only on this thin Needle Punch! Many, many offices  here have Needle Punch, so i have to find a way to handle it :)

Thanks for your help.