clive

Mothproofing
« on: March 08, 2004, 10:28:09 pm »
I clean quite a lot of oriental rugs and often get asked about mothproofing them. I usually refer them to a pest controller but is there something i can use?

Thanks,

Clive

Dynafoam

Re: Mothproofing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 10:43:13 pm »
Clive,

I have tried a few products over the years but they have all presented problems, mainly odour.

I am not the biggest fan of insecticides in the home, so I normally tell the customer that if the rug is regularly and thoroughly vacuumed with a good upright vacuum cleaner, it is unlikely that the grubs will survive.

John.

Bob Allen

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 10:47:25 pm »
Have you tried opening your wallet more often, that will at least keep the moths down abit .......Ha Ha

Seriously I know Sta-Pro used to do a powder you mixed with water (then sprayed) that supposedly helps againt a number of small creepy crawlys, ive used it in the past for Flee's (not mine)
Regards Bob
Bob Allen

SMP

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 12:36:43 am »
Chemspec do a product - can't remember what it's called (Microban??).  I have used it.  There are very few products still available due to changes in legislation.  

Did a job last year with it and odour was a big concern.  All the windows open, turbo driers, PPE etc.  The odour was strong and lasted for quite a while, fine in the summer when the home owner doesn't mind having all the windows open etc.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Poole

MICHAEL_GAYTON

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 12:39:34 am »
Microban do a good pest control but i think it only lasts
for 6 months
mick
ULTRA 4 CLUB
four systems one operator

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 12:56:50 am »
rotstop from ashbys ( your favourite place ;D )

Shaun

Dave Parry

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 12:58:38 am »
I've used ashbys insecticide (may have been sta-pro) for carpet beetle, easy to use and goverment approved for domestic and food areas. Worked well, didn't kill any pets or kids either.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 09:36:39 am »
Chemspec do Chemtreat which they say prevents 'organic degradation of wool' the USA have weird regs on pest control. They say it lasts 2 yrs I think.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

clive

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 02:31:11 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.

Clive