Steven Butler

Mattress Cleaning
« on: December 17, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »
Never fancied doing them but got a couple coming up as part of a big job.
Any advise/tips appreciated including what product you find works best.
Cheers

Hilton

Re: Mattress Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:53:14 pm »
Plenty of vacuum and we used to use M-POWER x 2 applications, worked really well

David Deer

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 05:53:22 pm »
Preferably wear gloves and face mask when handling the mattress initially. Vacuum it well, as well as the bed base. Light mist of pre spray (enzyme if poss as there are usually lots of organic nasties on them) and have some urine treatment and rust remover handy as these usually have one or two errant stains. Agitate well with small brush and leave to dwell for about 15-20 minutes. If using a standard hand tool, lower the pressure so as not to overwet. Move slowly over the mattress in long stokes in one direction and two dry passes, mist extraction fluid over the seams and then extract to avoid over-wetting. Use your usual neutraliser in the extractor with a little deodoriser to make it smell nice. Stand up to dry to get better airflow, don't dry on floor or carpet as you'll only make these wet and may get some transfer (I sometimes use an old sheet if there is a hard floor).
One other tip - check for bedbugs first!!

Steven Butler

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 06:13:49 pm »
Thanks guys...appreciate the replies.

Steven Butler

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 09:42:52 am »
Can anyone else add to the advise already given please?

Steve Chapman

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 12:53:04 pm »
Cleaning is the easy part, getting rid of the stains is the difficult part......

I normally find some oxy bright or hydrogen peroxide goes along way to making them look cosmetically better........

Tony Stewart

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 05:56:10 pm »
I struggle with them. You may get the mattress "technically" clean but many of the stains will not come out, and the customer because they see the sweat stains etc etc, think that the mattress is still dirty. Also the time spent doing it is a factor too. Sometimes for a few more pounds the customer can look at the option of a new one. I know some of them are very expensive but you will still struggle imho. Its a bit like curtains, it's only a "maintenance" clean as against the carpet HWE clean as some of the lined curtain backs that get really soiled with draught marks and thus never look great.
At the risk of seeming to talk down on people, at the beginning we are all keen to take on everything because the customer asks you and you don't like to turn work away. Sometimes you can say "I don't do them any more as I feel that they don't come up to the quality that I would be happy with"
If you are one of those that is in the bargain basement area then have a go!!! ;D
Starts at the bottom likes it and stays there

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 07:23:41 pm »
The trouble with using reducers is that it can cause breathing difficulties if not fully rinsed out the same with enzall and peroxide, textile rinse from chemspec would be first choice for browning and then work up but that's the safe option you're not going to choke anyone with it.

Shaun

john martin

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 10:03:08 pm »

I use hair salon bleach for mattresses as a cheap source of peroxide  ,  sometimes id almost cover the mattress with it ,if i was using dye gone id through it in no time .
It consists of two products , the bleach powder ... and the ' developer '
So get a large tub of bleach powder and 1 liter of 12% / 40vol developer .
You mix a little of each in a container and stir/mix , u get a creme , u can water it down to a liquid to spread easier .
I would either wipe it on with a cloth or sometimes a small paintbrush . I often hit the spots with a hairdryer to speed up the reaction . Then rince and usually put the mattress sideways and put two airmovers on chairs against it .

This is an example ,  u might have a local hair salon supply place ,but they often only sell this to trade .
U can get it cheaper than this eg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAXIMA-OXICREME-40V-AND-WHITE-BLEACH-POWDER-500G-/221960095556?hash=item33adda4744:g:myQAAOSwfZ1WYrgo

Harvey Robson

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 01:16:53 pm »
Well, the things that work great for me are - avoiding as much as possible eating in the bed, also, I am using a mattress protector and I am trying to be consistent in letting the mattress air out and washing the bedding every month at least.
Also, it si great to sprinkle the mattress with baking soda when removing a stain  ;)

John Kelly

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:26:10 pm »
Dynamall. Sprayed on agitated in, preferably with drill brush then just dry vacced out no rinse. Quick drying as well. Mark Tait did one recently and has now picked up the contract to do loads more. Photos below.

from edge2edge

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 02:31:11 pm »
Thanks for that John I think I have found a good use for the Dry Fusion upholstery cleaner I bought ages ago as it has a rotating brush ....................Alan(Swindon)

john martin

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 03:56:44 pm »
Good ..  but that mattress fabric is 'ideal' for cleaning . Any product will work . Another type of mattress will need peroxide.

John Kelly

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 09:10:52 am »
Dynamall contains Hydrogen Peroxide John, that's why it works so good.

from edge2edge

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 12:58:25 pm »
John did he use 1;20 or 1;10 dilution as per upholstery dilution rates..................Alan

John Kelly

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 01:15:07 pm »
Yep 1-10 Alan.

from edge2edge

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 02:13:34 pm »
Thanks John I will give it a go...............Alan